Final Cut Studio 3?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Stang68, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey everyone,

I remember hearing rumblings about Final Cut Studio 3 coming out in the near future for us Mac users and then all the news went away. Do we think there is going to be an announcement at WWDC? Is it going to release some time in June? What do you all think?

Thanks!

2. norliss macrumors newbie

I certainly there is at least an announcement if not a release.

Having just returned to this whole area and recently been getting up to speed on it all, I suppose I'd like to see AVCHD being handled natively - perhaps in FCE & iMovie too since it is really a consumer format.

Perhaps a new FCP Studio & FCE will be released to coincide with the release of Snow Leopard: that it can take full advantage of the new OS and all this great 64 bit hardware.

3. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

That last part would be really nice. FCP at 64 bit would be great!

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Appleinsider has an article about the new version:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._bundle_major_motion_soundtrack_upgrades.html

They don't have much new info on it, other than it being optimised for Mac OS X 10.6 (so will probably be released not too long after it) and it still won't support BluRay.

I guess I will have to do all my BluRay creation on a PC as there still aren't any decent solutions on the Mac (you need to buy Premiere to get Adobe's Encore).

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Don't forget that the new FCE wont come out until a few months after studio.

Atleast that's what they did with the last few releases so that it gives that extra incentive to buy studio!

But personally again I would like to see new versions. Maybe with a slight GUI update in final cut as it could be made to look and work a little nicer!

6. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

I dont believe we are only going to see a point increase on Color. It was such a hack jamming it into its present form. Apple wont be forgiven if they dont make it integrate easier, work faster, make it fit on a MBP 17in and generally make it a bit prettier.

I have also heard reports on native AVCHD editing (which in turn should mean easy AVCHD importing of all frame rates). Also Blu-Ray support in DVD Studio Pro.

Also I think the special effects guys will completely lose hope in Apple if they dont hear something about "Phenomenon" in the next couple of weeks.

7. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I hope they shrink the program...50GB is a bit big for a program.

8. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Well, at least I know I'm not alone! Heres hoping for an update! Now I just gotta figure out how to get all 55gb of FCS2 off my computer :p

9. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Darius, the apps are only 1.4 gigs.... you don't have to install the loops and stuff.

10. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I know, I know...but I want all the power, it's much better with all the extra stuff...

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

then put all of the FCS content on an external drive where all your other media should be anyway.

12. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I don't have an external drive (I just use my main 1 TB HDD), It's not really that I have a problem with space, I just think it'd be a nice thing if the studio was smaller.

13. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

So, I suppose you're also using your main drive as your FCP scratch disk?

14. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Yes.

15. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

thats baaaaaaddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::mad:

u should never use your system disk as your scratch disk!!!!! NEVER.

reasons:
    1) your application & your captured media is being read from the same drive = slow speed
    2) FCP is reading & writing to the same drive = slow speed
    3) when you export a video, your writing to the same drive! so fcp is reading from the same drive!
    4) and if your drive dies, your footage is gonnnneeeeee!

add more reasons you ppl!!

your scratch disk MUST be always Firewire 800 drive / SATA II drive / eSATA // if an industry config; they use RAID!

you should get banned from the macrumors bc ur using your main drive as ur scratch disk! :p

16. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Ok, well you took it a little far...some people just dont know. But I DO agree that you should have an external drive to store all of your video on.

17. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Make it prettier? Color is professional grading software and other (and much more expensive) suites like da Vincis and Pandoras don't have pretty interfaces, either. The dark, neutral color scheme in the application have a purpose. A cocoa-style interface with bright backgrounds and pretty buttons wouldn't be beneficial to colorist trying to well, judge proper color.

You shouldn't be running Color with a single display anyway (especially a single laptop display). It was designed for dual displays, and for a good reason. The monitoring display should be properly calibrated and most laptop LCDs are just not accurate enough for grading work.

If anything, Apple should be working on improving Color's integration with FCP - things like better project roundtripping, FCP keyframe and time effects compatibility, etc. would be far more beneficial than making it prettier.

18. lyl macrumors member

I got a scatch disk
    but, should I export the video to the scratch disk? or should I buy another hdd for export?

19. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I would hazard a guess that the impact on the disc while rendering would be negligible - think about it. Rendering takes a good amount of time, and I can imagine that FC would be using the RAM nicely while rendering, so the disc's I/Os would be limited to when FC needs to update its information from information stored on-disc.

I could be wrong, but I think an extra HDD for exports might make more sense for organization then reducing disc load.

20. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Everything you capture, should go to an external drive. Thats what you SHOULD do, but if you dont want to, thats cool, too. :)

21. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

+1. I hate having to think like a colorist when i edit things because it is a total PITA to bake clips in and out of FCP for color.

The keyframe issue is probably the worst thing about color because it takes an extreme amount of time to prep the file. I have NO problem using the media manager to transcode an FCP project to ProRes, but having to export and re-import each clip is ridiculous.

The GUI is perfectly fine with me. . . it gets the job done.

22. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

No update for DVD Studio Pro would be crazy. I believe that would make it 4 years since the last update!

P-Worm

23. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

The thing about the external drive is not true because it's wrong to assume that every editor is working on a laptop.
    I've been editing for a long time and the only reason I see a necessity for an external is when you capture from tape on a laptop. Lots of dropped frames otherwise. Now with HD cards, it doesn't even matter. I can edit off a USB2 external if on a laptop.

Yes! And hopefully an update that makes the subtitle editing inside much more friendlier.
    A price cut ala Logic Studio won't be bad either, and try to catch up Avid!
    I love Avid too but their upgrade costs within the same version, like now MC3 to MC3.5 are too much in my view.

Having said that, I don't expect an FCS3 release soon and especially today. The show is already crowded with releases.

24. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I've just broken down my external HDD a couple of weeks ago, so I won't be getting any new drive soon.
    I'm ok with the performance of Final Cut, if I wanted I could create a partition to use as a scratch disk, but I don't really see the need for it.

25. lyl macrumors member

yea.thats what I do.
    i put all my footage into my scratch disk which is a fw800 raid0 hdd
    When I export the video, I export to that sratch disk too. my question is, should I export to a different external hdd? but all my other hdds are usb..