Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Final Cut Studio Goes Universal

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Final Cut Studio 5.1, consisting of Final Cut Pro 5, Soundtrack Pro, Motion 2, and DVD Studio Pro 4, is now available as a Universal application, native on both Intel and PowerPC Macs.

New copies of Final Cut Studio 5.1 cost $1,299 USD. Upgrade pricing (from Apple's crossgrade page): $699 upgrade from Final Cut Pro 1, Final Cut Pro 2, or Final Cut Pro 3; $199 upgrade from Final Cut Pro 4 or HD, Motion 2, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro 4, or Production Suite; $99 upgrade from Final Cut Pro 5; $49 upgrade from Final Cut Studio.

Apple's pro media applications have been packaged as Final Cut Studio since Final Cut Pro 5 was announced in April last year.

Final Cut Express HD is not yet Universal. According to the online Apple Store, "The next feature release of Final Cut Express will be a Universal application, which will run natively on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Mac computers."

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
princealfie said:
Okay, now where's Aperture Universal???
Aperture has been universal for a while. Its is a Download via software update.

puckhead193 said:
yay now when will they updated final cut studio?
Macrumors said:
Final Cut Studio 5.1, consisting of Final Cut Pro 5, Soundtrack Pro, Motion 2, and DVD Studio Pro 4, is now available as a Universal application, native on both Intel and PowerPC Macs.
;)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Good news for those waiting.

But the way it was rolled out makes me think there won't be any event in the next several days, or you'd think they'd wait to announce it then?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
ropbo said:
So does that mean "no finalcut 6 + no support for Canon 24f + no support for HDV 720 24p" at NAB 2006 ?
I don't think this negates the previous rumors. Work on version 6 could very well have been going on simultaneously with the work to create Final Cut Studio 5 Universal.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
m-dogg said:
Good news for those waiting.

But the way it was rolled out makes me think there won't be any event in the next several days, or you'd think they'd wait to announce it then?

I tend to agree. This and the lack of invites (as far as I know) would suggest that if there is an event planned for the anniversary, it has to be for later next month. There are 6 days left and still no word--now this?

Oh well.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Upgrade from Academic FCP4?

Does anyone know if the $199 upgrade from Final Cut Pro 4 would apply to the Academic version of Final Cut Pro 4? Specifically, I bought the Apple Production Suite, which included Final Cut Pro 4, DVD Studio Pro, and others.

ANSWER: YES! If you look at the PDF, it allows for Academic upgrades.
SWEET!

Xax

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
aperture is not universal yet.
so will apple be starting to ship out those final cut cd/dvds now? anyone got them shipped already?

locutus

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2003
Mac Mini and FCS 5.1

Will it work fine on the new Mac mini core duo?
WIll the core dou mini's graphic chip will be enough for motion?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
puckhead193 said:
the accidemic version is the same, it just costs less so i think you should be able to upgrade ;)
Final Cut Studio 5.1 Academic is $699, but I don't know that they have academic upgrade pricing.

Final Cut Express HD Academic is $149.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.