Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Final Cut Studio Update Due in Late April?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AppleInsider reports that Apple is planning to release an update to their Final Cut Studio professional video editing package in late April, around the time of the annual National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) conference in Las Vegas.
While Apple won't be attending NAB, those familiar with the company's plans say it holds ambitions of debuting a new version of Final Cut Studio, currently late in its development stage, at or around the same time the conference kicks off during the third week of April. Further details weren't provided.
Apple had been a regular participant at NAB, announcing a number of Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Studio releases there, put pulled out of the 2008 conference as part of their continuing shift away from trade shows and conferences.

Previous reports had pointed to a possible Final Cut Studio update at a rumored March 24th media event that had initially surfaced as a possibility for hardware releases. With the introduction of new iMacs, Mac minis and Mac Pros on March 3rd and yesterday's announcement of an iPhone OS 3.0 media event on March 17th, a March 24th event is looking increasingly unlikely.

Article Link: Final Cut Studio Update Due in Late April?

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
It's about damned time! FCS2 is a good two years old or more by now. It's in desperate need of an upgrade. BluRay support is a must. I don't care if Apple doesn't like the licensing and other crap. It NEEDS to happen for FCS2 to be competitive. That and Adobe has gotten their butts into gear and are passing Apple up in that realm. My brother is a video guru who loved Final Cut and did all sorts of groovy things with it. Now he's in film school and readily admits that Adobe is stomping FCS2 across the board. Apparently Premiere has more fine-grained controls and well, let's face it, Compressor is an utter joke. I've used free software that kicks it's butt. The only thing Compressor really has is frame controls. Sure, they can deinterlace beautifully (when it works), but you'd better have an octocore Mac Pro if you want it to finish before you collect Social Security.

Now, what would be REALLY cool is support for OpenCL when Snow Leopard hits. Can you imagine what that could do to rendering/encoding times? Apple would nuke the competition!

Comment

swatchpost

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Austin, TX
dubious

Maybe they'll make FCP able to export accurate EDLs....

Or revamp their lacking trim-mode....

Or allow users to "Apply to ALL" when setting scratch disks....

<sigh>

but probably not

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It wouldn't be totally bizarre for Apple to announce FCS 3 on Monday... to ship in April. Sure it's mixing phone s/w with pro apps but IIRC the original Nano was unveiled at an Apple hardware event.

Frankly if FSC doesn't have Blu-Ray burning support I won't really care. FCS 2 is working great for me except for not being able to burn to HD media.

Comment

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Great news!

Note that one of the March 24 rumors somewhat supports this rumor.

MacRumors said:
According to Sevenmac, a new version of Final Cut Studio currently exists as an internal beta. The beta version, however, is reported to be buggy, which could force Apple to delay the special event by several weeks.

The AppleInsider report also has a detail on an upcoming version of Aperture.

AppleInsider said:
Another Pro app due for an update is Aperture, with the last 2.0 reference release delivered last February. Aperture is unique among Apple's headlining Pro Apps in that rather than being based on an acquired title and simplified for inclusion in iLife, it was developed internally at Apple as a professional version of iPhoto. The new version will introduce native 64-bit support, mitigating one of the advantages held by Adobe with its rival Photoshop Lightroom software, which gained 64-bit support late last July.

Comment

swatchpost

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Austin, TX
Do you mean "Apply to Selected Project Only"? Apply to All is the current behavior for scratch disks.

No, I mean when you're in System Settings it should have a button you can click to apply the Scratch Disk, Waveform Cache, Thumbnail Cache, and Autosave Vault to ONE FOLDER instead of having to click "Set" for each one.

Actually, why can't FCP just be more like Avid....

:D

Comment

bigtriece

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Virtual Orchestra/Scoring Built In

From what I've heard the new version of Final Cut is going to have a virtual orchestra included, with scoring built into the program, so you will no longer need Logic to score the film project.

It's just a shame that the new imac's and macbook pros are going to struggle to run Final Cut 09, as it will need at least 100gb of hard drive space and an Intel i7 to run this program smoothly. I guess one way would be to build your own computer and use the Phenom II chips which only cost around $150 and are just as fast as the Intel i7s.

Comment

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
It's about damned time! FCS2 is a good two years old or more by now. It's in desperate need of an upgrade. BluRay support is a must. I don't care if Apple doesn't like the licensing and other crap. It NEEDS to happen for FCS2 to be competitive. That and Adobe has gotten their butts into gear and are passing Apple up in that realm. My brother is a video guru who loved Final Cut and did all sorts of groovy things with it. Now he's in film school and readily admits that Adobe is stomping FCS2 across the board. Apparently Premiere has more fine-grained controls and well, let's face it, Compressor is an utter joke. I've used free software that kicks it's butt. The only thing Compressor really has is frame controls. Sure, they can deinterlace beautifully (when it works), but you'd better have an octocore Mac Pro if you want it to finish before you collect Social Security.

Now, what would be REALLY cool is support for OpenCL when Snow Leopard hits. Can you imagine what that could do to rendering/encoding times? Apple would nuke the competition!

This is mostly nonsense, final cut is better / performing better and sells better than adobe production, also you can render out h264 ready for burning onto blu-ray (which can be done in toast or on a pc) and is a higher quality than what production suite can do. Also i dunno how apple keeps it so cheap, with the inclusion of color the price of studio is unbeatable.

Comment

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
From what I've heard the new version of Final Cut is going to have a virtual orchestra included, with scoring built into the program, so you will no longer need Logic to score the film project.

It's just a shame that the new imac's and macbook pros are going to struggle to run Final Cut 09, as it will need at least 100gb of hard drive space and an Intel i7 to run this program smoothly. I guess one way would be to build your own computer and use the Phenom II chips which only cost around $150 and are just as fast as the Intel i7s.

Agreed. That is what happens when you use last years mobile processors in everything. Apple forces you to buy a mac pro. Like you said it makes more since to just build your own PC.

Comment

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Shame it's just Final Cut Studio I was hoping they would release an Aperture update too...

Comment

JonasLondon

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
London
No, I mean when you're in System Settings it should have a button you can click to apply the Scratch Disk, Waveform Cache, Thumbnail Cache, and Autosave Vault to ONE FOLDER instead of having to click "Set" for each one.
:D

And how often do you do this? :)

I do that once everytime I install it. I.e. get a new Mac Pro. I.e. about every two years. Considering the entire installation can take a few hours, what's the 10 seconds it takes to set the 6-7 scratch disk settings?

you've got to wonder sometimes... :)

I'm not burning BluRay, and still got plenty to learn about FCS2, which I think is pretty brilliant. Especially together with Shake. Although I AM excited about "Phenomenon" a.k.a. "Apple's Shake", but most of all I look forward to Aperture 3.0 - now that can do with some developer love. Ad Snow Leopard and multi-core glory to all sorts of things. ArenÄt all these soon-coming things exciting? :) Go :apple:!

Comment

JonasLondon

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
London
This is mostly nonsense, final cut is better / performing better and sells better than adobe production, also you can render out h264 ready for burning onto blu-ray (which can be done in toast or on a pc) and is a higher quality than what production suite can do. Also i dunno how apple keeps it so cheap, with the inclusion of color the price of studio is unbeatable.

What he said. To the last point. Absolutely true.

Comment

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Shame it's just Final Cut Studio I was hoping they would release an Aperture update too...
Probably in the cards too…

AppleInsider said:
Another Pro app due for an update is Aperture, with the last 2.0 reference release delivered last February. … The new version will introduce native 64-bit support, mitigating one of the advantages held by Adobe with its rival Photoshop Lightroom software, which gained 64-bit support late last July.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'll be happy if it can finally use all my CPU cores to their fullest.

I just LOVE waiting 40 minutes for an export when I can see all my procesor cores working at 45%.

Comment

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003

Um...no. The i7 cleans the Phenom II's clock. The Phenom II can match the previous gen Core 2 Quads, but not the i7. The price is a lot better of course, but Intel has the performance crown. That and setting up an AMD Hackintosh is a pain in the neck compared to an Intel system.

Comment

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
This is interesting. I would imagine that any software update that requires the consumer to pay more would have an official release at an event, right? So I would imagine that the forthcoming update will probably be an addition to the 6 apps currently out there, or a complete refresh that improves performance, new features, etc.

Being a FCP user myself I shall look forward to the update if and when it happens.

Comment

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
I was able to get Logic Express and Aperture each for $69 preinstalled last night with my MBP. That was with the education discount. I know they can't be updated but I couldn't resist with those being so cheap. Maybe they are so cheap right now because they are going to be updated soon....?

Comment

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
64 bit transition

Delays in the pro apps are due to complete rewrites for Cocoa. They will 64 bit, and ready to take advantage of OpenCL and Grand Central when Snow Leopard arrives.

These delays were obvious and necessary, and certainly, if you have been following the Adobe Photoshop CS4 mini-debacle and Shake's rebuild, you would have been aware of this.

The real question will be whether the pro-apps will leap ahead of the various competitors.

As an aside, BD authoring support will be in FCS.

tom

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.