Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 360!)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Huntn, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Anyone getting excited about this near future title (March)? The cinematics in the PS2 version (FFXII) impressed the heck out of me although the some of the goofy mobs, like killer tomatoes left a little to be desired. Coop would be nice but based on history I'm not planning on it.

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I have been anticipating this since I ordered it from Amazon back in June, 2006. I've currently got the standard and Collectors Edition pre-ordered, and frankly March couldn't come any sooner.

Still annoyed that they're doing a 360 port, as reports I've read have noted a downgrade in visuals from the PS3-only builds to the cross-platform ones.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

PStriple version here I come. Hope it's good... Squeenix hasn't been on their A game in a good while.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll be getting this for my Xbox, probably not in March (Pokemon cometh). I'm not usually bothered by big screen RPGs either but I've been sucked into Final Fantasy over the past couple of years. And never owning a PS2 I skipped out on 12.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Haven't decided whether to get or not, but if I did it would be on the PS3 probably.

edit...

My reservations apply to most JRPG's and have prevented my enjoyment of a lot of current this gen RPG's (Last Odyssey, BlueDragon and more...) are random battles; back tracking to needlessly increase game length, unlikeable characters with terrible dialogue that goes on forever, old fashioned inventory systems that have not changed since the 16Bit era.

I know it will look pretty, but if those old throwback gameplay mechanics persist - I will struggle with FFXIII

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Just play Persona 4 MRU. Do it.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Turn based rpgs suck(yes I said it) so I'll be skipping it....I really wish I could get into it but it bore the hell out of me.

Bless

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'll most likely be getting the PS3 version. I tend to play on the 360 more but something just feels weird about playing a Square Enix game on a non-Playstation device to me...

I'm even taking that week off from work I think to have ample time to get underway on it... :p

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm getting it; I preordered it back in 2008 when the 360 version was first announced. I'm also a sucker for soundtracks and I'm expecting the FFXIII one to turn up today :D

Having said that, I should get out of this thread now. I'm trying not to read much about the game now that it's out in Japan; I don't want to accidentally pick up any spoilers!

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I've never beat a Final Fantasy game... closest I ever came to the end was FFVII. I got to the end boss and died once and then I got distracted and quit or something... maybe just was worn out... I played the last Final Fantasy game but I think after I killed like 3 tomatoes I quit.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same!
    FFI- stuck, got 1 crystal.
    FFII- own it but not played it
    FFIII- got to the frog tower place
    FFIV- up to the magnetic cave boss
    FFVII- up to the big cave near the end
    Dissidia- only beat Clouds story :eek:
    FFT+A2- very early into both :eek:

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The japanese really dont like this game. It sold like crazy in the beginning since its FF but quickly dropped in the charts after everyone talked about how bad it was.

They hate it because theres no towns and its as linear as a piece of string, they also hate how you are constantly being interrupted by cinematics. For the japanese not to like something because its too linear you know its got to be bad.

Im not going to get this game, if its one thing I hate its linearity.

13. macfan881 macrumors 68020

From what I've Read the 360 is 3 Discs Compressed audio and the suposivly removed about 16GB between Video and Audio Compresion.

14. pcypert macrumors 6502

If I made it through Eternal Sonata I think I can make it through this. I actually enjoy linear every now and then and like turn based play so it'll fill a niche for me. These aren't games I play all the time but sometimes I just like to know exactly where to go without having to look around all over the place...

Paul

15. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

I am really looking forward to getting a hold of this game. I only hope it isn't as boring as FFXII was.

16. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Been playing the import since the Japanese launch date. Played the hell out of it over the first weekend then hit a wall with one of the bosses. Gave it a rest for almost a month (got too busy to put in any real hours between work and life), but started playing it again over the past 2 weeks. Trying to beat it before the english release. Much of the negative stuff is true, but there is some logic behind the game's over all design. I'm over 30 hours in and feel like I'm about a quarter or a third of the way through. All of the mechanics and options have finally been given to me. I've got one summon left to earn. I've met a villian, who may not be the main villian. I've seen a couple of major plot twist. Cinematics aren't that frequent or long. Nothing close to the length of MGS4 cut-scenes.
    It's kind of late and I just saw this thread so I haven't really had a chance to properly gather my thoughts. I'm gonna try to clock in some major hours over the weekend and maybe post some bullet points to the rumors and criticism. In the mean time feel free to ask me anything. Oh, and I like what I've played so far.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's a bit off putting. Of all the old FF games I've been playing I've loved the free roaming aspect, with all the little nooks and crannies of the map and the sidequests.
    I think I'll wait for reviews now.

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I've realized "linear" can be good if the story telling is superb (like DAO), but generally I prefer open world RPGs (like Oblivion).

It's been a while since I casually played Final Fantasy (XII PS2*), but I don't remember it being turn based?

*Sorry I had an extra V in there... I was talking of FF 12.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Final Fantasy 17 was the game that made turn based battles popular again! Don't you remember the preview of it at 2018's E3?

20. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Pretty sure they meant XII, which was indeed not turn-based. XIII marks a return to the traditional ATB system.

21. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

A white FFXIII Xbox 360 Elite bundle! I might finally own all 3 current gen consoles. Especially since the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia is officially not coming to America anymore. Still might import that though. Plus I was waiting for a version with a larger hard drive.

22. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Lame bundle. It's a standard white 360 with a 250GB drive, unlike the JAP PS3 with actual decals etc.

23. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Could care less what it looks like. It's a 360. It looks like a cheap Dell desktop no matter what color it is. If I'm gonna get one it better have the largest hard drive. Think I'll still get FFXIII on the PS3 when I play it in english though. I think I'll be finished with the japanese version by this weekend.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

From the trailers I've got the impression that its a mix of FF7 (setting) and 10 (linearity), is that the case or did they just do a good job throwing people off? Also how long is it until completion?
    Been watching the trailer a few times whilst my work computer was being repaired. Gotta say I'm really pumped for it now :eek:.

25. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I can't wait! :D I'm buying it at midnight. (PS3)