Finally!!! A Vaja La Pelle Review!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by stcizzle, Oct 9, 2013.

1. stcizzle, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

stcizzle macrumors regular

Hi there everyone! So after much online research EVERYWHERE for about a month to try to compare the more expensive Nuova Pelle ($80 + free US shipping) to the much less expensive but very comparable La Pelle ($50 + free US shipping) I could not find a single picture or review other than what is on the official Vaja site. So to say the least I was frustrated as you would think someone, somewhere in the world would have done a review of this thing, but I decided to just buy the darn thing and do my own review, LOL

REVIEW:

So I have to mention this first, THAT EVEN WITH THE FLAP CLOSED, I COULD STILL HEAR MY PHONE CALLS CRYSTAL CLEAR! HOW WEIRD IS THAT. With the TwelveSouth SurfacePad I could not hear a thing!!! But anyway, I honestly don't care how fancy or plain packaging is- for this product it was plain & elegant and you don't need much else IMO. It definitely had that strong pleasant leather smell that we all love right out of the box. It is a very smooth leather which feels awesome in the hand. It is about 2mm thick which taking into account both sides of the phone will add about 4mm thickness to the iPhone 5/5S. I previously had a SurfacePad from TwelveSouth and while the leather was super soft, it was so darn thin that it really didn't feel like a premium, luxury leather case. While this one isn't thin, it's really not thick either; it can't be much thicker than the Nuova Pelle. One of my favorite features of this case is the magnetic closure. It will stay shut!!! It's not too strong that u can't use a thumb to open it, but it's not that weak either-When u hold the case upside down it'll stay closed unless u shake it. I've had several leather folios and it's so annoying when they won't quite close all the way. This leather case is somewhat pliable, yet thick enough that I think it will hold its shape as long as you don't bend it too harshly or sit on it and crease it, etc (the same way you could damage any other leather product.) I like that they didn't use any plastic reinforcement inside the leather or any purely cosmetic stitching. This thing is simply elegant. One thing that was unusual was that it seems that Vaja either treated the leather with some sort of oil or conditioner preservative or some sort of leather product which surprised me. Normally when I receive leather goods, they don't seem to do any post-production leather care or liquid application that's noticeable anyway. Installation was pretty simple as you'd expect. Took me a few tries as I am OCD to the 10th of a mm. But most would be able to do it in a couple attempts I'd assume. The adhesive leaves no sticky residue which is really nice. The fit is precise and even on all sides-PERFECT... I really like how the silent/vibrate mode switch is left accessible and the volume buttons can easily be depressed through the leather. I can't think of too much else to say... I'LL LET THE PICTURES DO THE REST OF THE TALKING. ENJOY!

***PLEASE LET ME KNKOW WHAT YOU THINK AND HOW YOU COMPARE IT TO THE VAJA NUOVA PELLE!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. musicjunky macrumors regular

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting how you attach your phone to the leather case.. Looks great though!

3. stcizzle, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

stcizzle thread starter macrumors regular

In the third pic from the top you'll see a clear adhesive pad on the right side of the inside of the case. It's very strong so u don't have to worry about the phone falling off and the adhesive is reusable so u can take it off and put it back on countless times as long as u don't get it dirty.

4. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

Looks nice, did you order it online? Or can I go look at one in the store. One thing I'm worrying about is that I swap cases a lot and since this case use an adhesive, can it be reuse if I remove it time and time again?

5. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

clearly it's just 2 pieces of sticky that is holding your iphone. not liking it. it adds weight to your iphone and yet it's not protected. and for $50 i'd rather get the Apple leather case. maybe it's a personal choice but not for me though.

6. stcizzle thread starter macrumors regular

I ordered it online. I don't think its in any stores. Regarding the adhesive, they design them to be reusable. As long as u don't get it dirty and touch it with your oily fingers it should outlast the phone- I've had several adhesive folios and that's been the case for me. Always keep the original adhesive plastic so that u can cover and protect it when not using it.

7. musicjunky macrumors regular

That's very interesting, thanks for answering my question. I agree it's a great look, if a but impractical. If you're into high quality leather though, this is ideal, and looks better (more supple) than Apple's leather case.

8. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Nice photos. If you were to sit the phone vertical say in a drink holder in a car would the leather protect the bottom of the phone. Looks like the leather is flush with the phone or is it a bit longer.

Found a store in Australia selling black for $49 which is good. Vaja are $50 US plus $37 shipping.

9. stcizzle thread starter macrumors regular

It is flush, or can be just slightly longer, depends how you install it, BUT protect from what exactly? Obviously not water or liquid. I mean if your cupholder is clean, I doubt it would scratch at all. But if you have keys, change, or sand in there, I'm sure you'd get some minimal scratching but nothing major-certainly no screen damage.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have the Vaja Leger Pouch for my iPhone 5 and had a similar case for my 4 and 4S so I'm familiar with their products an the quality of their leather. That said judging by pictures on their web sites I much prefer Piel Frama's Frama Slim to the Vaja La Pelle to be honest. In fact I have a Frama Slim on order. The way the attachment works on the Frama Slim seems a lot better assuming it works as advertised.

http://www.pielframa.com/iphone-5s-cases-color-red-1407-7.htm

11. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yeah they look better. I have had a piel frama case on my 4s. Very nice.

12. Judyj macrumors newbie

I am very interested in a vaja lapelle case for my iphone 5s and came across your review! I am only concerned if I drop my phone and breaking the screen! In your opinion, will it be safe from a fall?

13. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I also bought this case for my iPhone 5S and love it. Just one problem....the cover doesn't seem to close and sit flush nor does it stay closed. It's as if there are no magnets in my case to keep it closed and flush with the screen. I have tried repositioning the phone in various positions and still the same result. I've emailed Vaja today and waiting for a response. Here are some pics to show you my problem....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

If you fold the front flap over it covers the camera. Holding both flaps to take a pick seems like it would be annoying and inconvenient.

15. stcizzle thread starter macrumors regular

I've dropped mine at least a couple times and have had very little damage to the phone. A few scraps and dings on the outer metal band but not the screen or anything. I even dropped it while I had the case open and folded over and the leather seems to absorb most of the impact and the leather still looks unscathed and in perfect condition. These were minor drops from about 3ft to pavement. If it's a violent drop straight to screen I'm not sure how it would end up for you but even a naked iphone will hold up well in minor drops. Hope this helps.

----------

First of all, this is a nuova pelle pictured, not a la pelle. The leather is a bit thinner on the nuovas. I'm sure that is what's PART OF whats causing the failure to close. However there are magnets on the nuovas as well. Secondly, Id almost guarantee you just need to break in the binding of the leather a bit bc they can be a bit stuff at first. Once you do that and make sure that it's properly aligned, it would definitely be defective if it still won't close. Lastly, it seems ur leather is a bit warped (not sitting uniformly straight), whether that's how u got it or if it from you're messing with it trying to get it to close. I would take the case off and put some even pressure on it on the front and back with a book eg, and make it sit totally flat, then break in the binding and reinstall it and see if that works. If not exchange it. Gl!

16. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Your pics show all the dings and dents on the sides and edges. I am actually getting the black version of this on thursday but I am going to stick a caudate veil to use in the case to protect the edges and prevent the need to stick the case directly to the phone. Hoping its a good solution, because i love the look of this case.

17. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Got mine in, and combined it with a caudabe veil to protect my chamfered edges. It's a tight fit, but I expect the leather to wear out and stretch out. My issue right now is the flap does not stay down completely. But I expect that to happen soon too.

I don't know why my box is the custom box unlike the OP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. MacFly69 macrumors regular

what color is this? London? Pinecone?

19. stcizzle thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to reply so late....

Hadn't been following this thread, but the color is Henna. IT'S A LA PELLE NOT A NUOVA PELLE.

20. eddietec macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

After this time, what's your opinion of this case? I'm thinking to get one for the iPhone 6s because the case looks nice and slim.
    Thx in advance, Eddie

21. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

Just received a Nuova Pelle for my 6S+ a few days ago. It really is beautiful. Fits very well on the phone and provides decent protection to the front and back.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

22. ZipZap macrumors 601

Older versions did this. You had to apply in a very precise way or this happened. Not sure if they solved this now. In the end a super thin case and glass screen protector do better.

23. ZipZap macrumors 601

I doubt the leather will stretch. This is the right idea and how Vaja should have implemented this case.

24. JJJS macrumors newbie

My case for a blackberry Passport is falling apart after six months. The leather is peeling off on the corners of the plastic case and discoloring. According to " Customer Service" due to abuse.....

All my other cases like Piel Frama are still looking like new.... Might be the fragile and nice leather, but a telephone case is there to be used.

So go Piel Frama, just as nice and - not difficult - far more robust. Vaja is simply a waste of (a lot of) money

Attached Files:

25. ZipZap macrumors 601

I would have to side with vaja. Looking at the case it's clearly been used abnormally. Might be the thinner leather but also excessive moisture.