FINALLY! Apple stores implementing policies to restrict sales to scalpers (DMV area)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pat.micunnis, Nov 2, 2013.

1. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

I have a Gold phone that I purchased as device only, which I want to exchange to Silver -- something that I have been putting off -- because in the DC, Northern Virginia, MD (DMV) area, you can only do this in the morning (by getting a ticket).

This morning, I went to the Tysons Corner store. I arrived at 7:30AM and there were already 15 to 20 people in line.

When the Apple employees came out to hand out tickets, there were 3 employees: one had an Ipod touch. Before handing out the tickets, they scanned the line and looked at their Ipod touch.

Before they gave you a ticket, they showed you a sheet of paper: (in English, Vietnamese, Chinese): it read there is a strict limit of 10 phones per person (meaning you can only buy a total of 10 phones from that store across visits).

They refused to give tickets to 3 people -- the Apple employees cross-referenced the faces of those standing in line with the pictures from the Ipod touch. I assume they take pictures of you when you buy a device only phone.

For at least 2 or 3 others, the "ticket master" made sure they understood they cannot come back after today to buy more phones.

Of course, by the time they reached me, they didn't have the Silver I wanted. :(

But it made me feel good that I can come back (on Tuesday when Monday deliveries should have a big boatload of phones).. and try to score a phone.

2. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Was it just that store, or is it truly a corporate policy across all apple stores?

Thanks

3. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

Is the NSA aware of this?

This is super scary if true.

4. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm not American and I don't know your rules so well, but I don't think it's an entirely legal behavior ...
    On a theoretical point of view I could buy 10 new phones every day, if I pay with good money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending scalpers, I hate them, but people have rights ...

6. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Businesses have the right to refuse sales or services as well. That's the advantage of free market economy. If the consumer doesn't like the business rules, he/she can always go somewhere else.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Businesses often have things like "limit 5" and it doesn't bring down the wrath of the courts.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I didn't question the right of businesses to set a limit, I'm quite shocked at the idea of a salesman going through the crowd to check via photo ID who's cleared to buy and who's not. :eek:

9. pat.micunnis thread starter macrumors regular

They were not checking photo ID's.

10. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

They may start identifying people with a fingerprint scanner. :)

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

"They refused to give tickets to 3 people -- the Apple employees cross-referenced the faces of those standing in line with the pictures from the Ipod touch. I assume they take pictures of you when you buy a device only phone."

what are they basically did here ? Is it normal for you that someone take a photo of you while purchasing a phone and the day after search for customers to check if you are here again ? :confused:

I don't know about laws in your country, I know there are surveillance cameras almost everywhere, but here is a totally different league ...

12. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Free market economics - A company reserves the right to sell :)

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Probably my English is not so good and I have difficulties to explain my thoughts , I'm not questioning market economy or businesses rights AT ALL.

I just think they are going too far with that "sales control" taking pictures of customers for cross-referencing ....

14. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

I think that if someone turned it into a problem, then it would be for the Apple store. But nobody is going to get a lawyer or start a lawsuit simply to get a phone (nor would any suit related to this hold up even in a small claims court).

This is why the Store in question used the tactic; it's effective enough to deter the offenders from circumventing store policies.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Good!
    I waited in line for 3 hours to place my wife's phone.
    Being next to last in line, the Apple employees had to turn away at least 50 people looking to upgrade.

The ring leader was monitoring who was in line, what version of the phones their group was obtaining, and providing the gift card to the person.

The employees disliked selling the phone to the "regulars"because it meant customers that were actually going to use the new phone left the store empty handed.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even though its a good thing to avoid scalper abuse I don't know if I like the idea of the Apple store taking a picture of me and having it on file if I want to ever purchase a device only iPhone. Then comparing that every day to that stores people waiting in line and having it stored in their database?
    That's treating customers like criminals IMO. If I don't want to buy an iPhone with a 2 year contract agreement and just purchase one full price I'm grouped in to the scalpers database for cross-referencing?

17. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Ok, I see, it is just that store . So 10 per store.

18. Silverrune macrumors regular

They weren't taking a photo of you if you just bought a device only iPhone. It's if you bought 10 in total. Then they want to restrict your buying of them. The easiest way is to take a photo.

19. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

That interesting, and an interesting idea. I wonder if it's something that may eventually roll out to all stores. I don't think that using photos from an iPod is the best way to do it, but possibly using people's driver's license number, or something of the sort would be better.

When you return something at Walmart without a receipt, they take your driver's license number. There is a strict limit of 3 no receipt returns in a 90 day period at Walmart, and this is how they enforce it.

My opinion, however, is that this won't end up being a company wide policy.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not what the OP stated.
    He said they were taking pictures of customers buying device only and they restrict each picture/customer to purchasing 10 device only iphones ever at that store.
    The easiest way is to take a photo? And go around and taking pictures of customers like that and compare them each time to people waiting in line every day? That sounds good and normal to you?
    Then we wonder why the government spies on us and we let them get away trashing our privacy, liberties and constitutional rights every day...

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They are out in the public domain. The 4th amendment doesn't apply.

Legal? Yes. , But, we can argue it being a good business practice, ethical, etc. But, it is perfectly legal.

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Glad to see I'm not the only one finding this "sale policy" as a total violation of liberties ....
    I don't like the government spies on me (as I matter of fact I work for government) but if it is for my safety, I could accept it. But for buying a phone .... give me a break !

23. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Why? You do know that every time you enter a store you are being recorded in the security cameras right? :eek: ;) They are implementing apple store limits and is either a pic or copy your license number or something else.

Maybe they can't vote yet. ;)

The official apple store limit is 5 per device if I remember correctly.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Not violating anyones liberties. They were in the public domain. The 4th amendment doesn't apply here( right to privacy). It's why you can take a picture of lets say the Washington Monument and a person has to be in a shot, they can't come up to you and demand you delete it citing the 4th amendment.

Or the fact you can be recorded by surveillance cameras.