Finally caved....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sers, Dec 19, 2015.

1. sers macrumors regular

Ok, so in another post I complained about how expensive the IPP is and how it doesn't do anything appreciably different from my iPad 4. I decided to explore other options to upgrade from my iPad 4 so I looked at Android tablets. In my search, I found Samsung NotePro 12.2 tablets for half the price of the IPP at BestBuy, so I bit. Although I was quite enamoured with some of the things you could do with the NotePro that you can't on an iPad, like hooking up USB drives, mice, 4 window multitasking, etc., I became frustrated with its browsing capabilities and general overall lagginess. For something with that kind of processor and 3gb of ram, I thought it should have run smoother. Also, the fact that all my data, passwords, accounts, movies, music, apps, etc. are within the Apple ecosystem didn't help.

In the end, I decided to return it and buy the IPP. Well, I have to say I can't believe how fast this thing is. It is night and day compared to the Samsung and every other tablet I've owned. I realize the Samsung is almost 2 years old, but it should have been faster that it was. Even with 3 or 4 tabs open in Chrome, it would reload the tabs often. The IPP is an absolute beast. It flies through web pages, my files stored on my network and everything else I throw at it. The other thing that sold me on the IPP, and apple products in general, is the resale value. I'm sure I'll get at least 4 years out of the IPP and be able to sell it for decent money down the road when it's time to upgrade. Overall, I'm quite happy with my decision.

So, I just wanted to post my experience with others who are still not sure if the IPP is for them. The performance alone is worth upgrading imo, but it really depends on what your using it for. For those of you that are on the fence about the IPP, go ahead and try it out. You can always return it if you don't like it. I just love how buttery smooth and integrated everything is, and the size of the screen is just great - everything else just seems too small for me now. And btw, I absolutely love the on-screen keyboard.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

4. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

Congrats on your new IPP, sounds like you really will enjoy it. I know it's a lot of money...I thought about it for a couple of weeks before purchasing, I too had/have an IPad 4 that still works perfectly.

I've been thrilled with my IPP, once I got over the lack and delay of accessories that is! Now that I have them, I'm so glad I made the decision to spend the money, it's a great device!

5. sers thread starter macrumors regular

I still have an iPad 3 and 4. I'm going to sell the 3 and give my wife the 4. My wife doesn't really care what she uses, as long as she has something to use (which is good for me).

6. Mystro, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Yup, this is what I have been saying to the hold-outs. As fast as I feel my Air 2 was the Pro sets a completely new base line of fast. It's like driving a 911 turbo and others telling you their Accord is fast too and it does the same thing. The issue is the definition of "fast" and until they take a ride in a 911 turbo and experience a base line of what "fast" is, they have now idea what fast really feels like. You can't explains it to them because they have no reference point.

7. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Not disagreeing with your choice to go with the iPad Pro, but why didn't you try considering something like Microsoft's Surface Pro / Surface Book?

8. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 two years ago when it came out. I was also less than impressed with it. Very laggy, didn't care for the 16:9 dimensions, and battery life was abysmal. I sold it and haven't had a tablet since. Now I'm waiting on my IPP to arrive. Hurry up, AT&T!! :)

9. the future macrumors 6502a

I guess because the tablet part of their hybrid equation is either mediocre (Pro) or really bad (Book). If you just want a tablet, the best tablet on the market, the iPad Pro is your ticket.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Android tablets basically are a waste of money. Good on specs list, very poor in real world usage.

11. Osty macrumors 6502a

Having owned a nexus 7, I heartedly agree!

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

My nexus 7 died two weeks ago (it was in my signature)... I returned my company's Samsung Note Pro ... My son's Acer Iconia is a junk....

13. sers thread starter macrumors regular

I looked at the Surface line but felt they were more like laptops than tablets, which is what I was looking for. The Samsung appealed to me because it was a tablet that had some laptop features and functionality.

14. bensisko macrumors 65816

I have to agree. Even in "Tablet Mode" my Surface Pro 3 still feels like a desktop operating system. Windows 8 was a pretty great Tablet experience, but a poor desktop experience. I really wish the Windows 10 tablet mode had a LOT more in common with Windows 8.

15. Osty macrumors 6502a

Mine died too so when I replaced it, I bought an iPad mini 2 - couldn't be happier

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I replaced it with a Mini 4

17. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Something was wrong with your unit. Battery life was/is good and it wasnt laggy. I bought Note10.1 when it came (the phone version, n8000/exynos variant) and it was and is still working great (running kitkat). The screen is already outdated thought... The pixel density was abit low even in 2012, but nowadays it is way too low and everything is looks "blurry". I wish samsung would have done an upgraded version of it, i would have bought it again. 12.2 was too large to keep with you all the time. Im still using note10.1 especially for work stuff. But now when split screen came to ios, i have done more work stuff with it.. But there is too much restrictions in ios...

I was trying/playing with ipp, and now im more than sure that im not going to buy it. GUI looks like swollen ios, productivity isnt any better althought the pen gives you more choices (i need a pen at work). It felt like a guinea pig or fat ipad. For a consumption device? Yes. For work? No. I prefer air2 until pro is a pro tablet.

18. bowlman2345 macrumors regular

I had a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and the screen was fantastic. The rest of it, not so much. The apps on Android for tablets is just abysmal. I have a Galaxy Note 5 as my regular phone, and the apps are great. For tablets, it's like non-existent. It's because of all the different form factors for Android tablets. It's pretty bad.

19. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Funny your mentioned this, I just made up my mind to sell my Surface Pro last night. I will say this, the hardware is great and it's a nice little device. However, tablet experience on the Surface Pro has never been the best and MS doesn't really make it easy for you.

Back to the main topic, I think I'm going to give in and get the IPP as well. I'm not looking for a laptop replacement, when I'm at work I use work computer and at home I have my desktop with a huge screen so a laptop replacement is not really my thing. I want this for the very same reason that I got the Surface Pro in the first place, mainly to read journal papers, PDF books as well as annotation. I feel like the IPP would do well for this purpose.

20. Osty macrumors 6502a

Wasn't an option when I bought mine. How are you finding it?

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Overall I'm satisfied. It's another world from a Nexus 7. Especially the form factor.

22. Osty macrumors 6502a

I definitely agree with that!

23. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Just got one this morning. They are surprisingly hard to find. Most of my local Apple Store don't even have them. And Best Buy I went to was the last in stock.

24. dinggus macrumors 65816

As long as you don't say Android is laggy, because Samsung ruined Android with TouchWiz.

25. brentsg macrumors 68030

I've been pretty pleased with my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet.