Finally got intelmac, what apps can I now use I couldn't before?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by opticalserenity, Jun 17, 2007.

1. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

I just went from a G4 PB to a SR 2.2ghz MBP.

I always run across apps that say "intel only" or ones you can download the PPC or Universal binary. So, anything I need to get? Anything that my PB didn't need, a widget or something, that this can do?

I know thats a bit grey, but other than Aperture (one of the main reasons for my upgrade) there are other apps I presume...

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Parallels / VMWare come to mind the most.

arn

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Parallels, VMWare and BootCamp allow Windows (and other OSs) to be run...Crossover lets some Windows apps to be used. Come July, a lot of games will be Intel only.

Adobe Soundbooth and Joost

From a while back:

4. scootermafia macrumors member

Adobe CS3 is universal, and it's pretty zippy on an intel for the most part. Also, try Handbrake (DVD ripping utility) as it is lightning fast on Intels. Other than that just make sure you're not accidentally running PPC versions of anything. And that your apps aren't set to run in Rosetta mode (check with apple-i on an app package).

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Aside from Intel-only apps, I think you're more likely to run into the "Apps I can't run anymore unless I want to use Rosetta" :)

But, like everyone else has said, Parallels and VMWare are probably the big ones.