Finally got my bumper...and it's already off

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by djstile, Jul 7, 2010.

1. djstile macrumors regular

So after 6 days of waiting for my bumper after selecting two day shipping, I finally got my black bumper yesterday. Here is my personal review, and is obviously IMHO...

Design: First impressions, I really like the design and the grip when it's on. Unfortunately, there is noticable "looseness" on the top/bottom. What I mean by that is if you hold the bumper by the sides, you can sort of push the iphone inside either up or down to "transfer" the looseness from the top to the bottom. When it's loose on top, the sleep/wake button is very difficult to press. When it's loose on the bottom, it just feels weird, but doesn't really affect anything. I'm sure some of you have bumpers with no looseness, but from what I've read, the greater percentage seem to have loose fitting bumpers in some way (at least posted on macrumors). The external volume and slee/wake buttons look awesome as well.

Usability: First the positive - it totally "cured" the signal loss issue on my iPhone 4! Unfortunately that's it...the rest is where the bumper fails (obviously in my opinion). Perhaps I'm OCD, but the loose feeling of the bumper contrasts with the very solid feeling of the iPhone 4. Also, this may just be my bumper, but when (and if) you get a bumper, BEFORE placing it on the phone, hold it in your hand and shake it. Hear that noise, like there are broken bits of plastic inside somewhere? That noise doesn't go away when the bumper is on the phone, so whenever you shake it or turn it fully, you can hear it. I can live with that noise, but it is annoying, to a degree. Besides the sleep/wake button issue I stated above, and the looseness, the only other problem I see with the bumper is that you cannot use many "Made for iPhone 3G/3G(S)" power accessories. So if you have a car charger, USB charger, or dock with a "fat" connection, odds are it might not work with the bumper. For me, I use a car mount from www.proclipusa.com/. My mount charges the phone while it's in my car while is essential for me. The other problems listed above plus it's inability to work with my car mount make the bumper a case I simply cannot use - despite its fantastic appearance.

I'm not trying to disuade anyone from buying the bumper - I just want to give my $.02, so maybe someone else can save a few bucks ($34 to be exact). I know I can return it for a refund if I am not satisfied - which I will do - but I really wish some of the above problems were worked out before this product went up for sale because it really looks nice on the new iPhone. Oh well, back to my bodyglove "grip" case from ATT!

2. ARK macrumors 6502

Sounds like you didnt have it in right. My bumper is solid and doesnt move at all. Fits like a glove.

3. djstile thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's definetely on right. If you read other reviews on macrumors (and elsewhere) you'll see bumpers are greatly varying on looseness vs. tightness.

4. reservedegotist macrumors regular

Can't you replace it?

5. mmyers0520 macrumors regular

im sorry but I don't see the point with the bumpers. :confused: you're protecting...what? the edges? which are the least prone to cracking, I don't know they look cool but I'd rather protect the edges AND the back for $30

6. peritusONE macrumors newbie

The way I see it, you're mainly protecting the corners from drop shock so you don't shatter the glass. If you're going to cover the entire phone with material to protect it's good looks, kind of defeats the purpose of it all, don't you think?

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Only if you value form over function.

The iPhone is a tool..designed to be used. You want to look good/cool b/c you are holding a prety phone, so be it. I've has all my iPhones in cases, and never had an issue with damage.

8. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I ordered a white bumper from Apple.com. So if mine comes and I'm not satisfied I can quickly send it back for a refund?

9. Macmar88 macrumors member

I don't maybe I'm easy to please, but I really enjoy my bumper case. It does take a bit from the design of the phone, yet it still looks great. I have a wrapsol front and back with the bumper makes a great combination. I think the bumper is either for you or not, but I think looking at it pictures doesn't do it justice. Thats just my little two cents. By the way that was a pretty good review well explained.

10. RyanG macrumors 6502

Well, good riddance. $30 bucks for a stupid plastic "bumper" should leave you overly satisfied. Return it and get a full refund. I honestly don't understand why people spend $30 on this $.20 plastic piece of junk but hey, it's your money.

11. mmyers0520 macrumors regular

no...its a phone not an art exhibit, i use it constantly and it needs to be durable. hence the case. yes it looks great naked. and if you pick a decent case it'll still look good. better to maybe take away from the looks a bit and protect the most fragile parts (front/back glass) IMO (and $30 for THAT...egads :eek:)

12. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Return it!

I have read that some folks received bumpers that are too big and loose fitting.
    Mine is a perfect fit. I like the fact that it keeps the front/back off any surface when you set it down.
    I pre-ordered it the day they opened sales on Apple's site and it could be that the second or third runs are not being manufactured with the same attention to detail. Who knows.
    I would return it for one that fits.

13. muskratboy macrumors 6502

exactly... So why worry so much about protecting the perfect scratch-free beauty of it? It's a phone... Use it as a phone, and don't worry so much about keeping it perfect.

If it's not an art exhibit, then stop trying to lock it all up. :)

14. christyn macrumors 6502a

This.

Also ordered when I pre-ordered my phone and also have a perfect fit.

15. mmyers0520 macrumors regular

@ muskratboy, good point! ^ I should've been more clear w what I said...I got the case because I want to keep the back/front from cracking if I drop it. mine got some scratches on the back before I put the case on haha oh well

16. rkubat macrumors newbie

My bumper fits perfectly and does a good enough job in protect it. I wanted something to make it easier to hold the phone, without it felt awkward. I would say the 3GS form fits much better in the hand, I guarantee they will go back to a curve for form in a future update.

17. mmyers0520 macrumors regular

agreed...someone w an engineering/physics background correct me if im wrong but isnt the curved design stronger than a flat plane?

18. djstile thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks ;) Another positive I forgot to mention is that when you place the phone down on it's back on a flat surface, the bumper does actually extend JUST enough to keep the back from resting (or sliding and therefore scratching) the glass back surface.

Unfortunately for the bumper, but fortunately for the consumer, many other cases do this and seem to still enable use of most "Made for iPhone 3G/3G(S)" accessories.

As a bit of an off-topic point - the case I had on my iPhone 3G was the incase slider and besides the finish eventually wearing off, I loved it. I dropped my iPhone 3G on old, barely maintained asphalt at least three times and besides scratching the case, the iPhone inside looks brand new after two years of use. Hopefully, they are working on cases for the iP4.

19. mmyers0520 macrumors regular

same here - by far one of the best cases I've had...hopefully they have one avail soon

20. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i will say it does not seem like the bumper does any type of protection. i know 3 people personally that had one and dropped their i4 and told me it did nothing. Glass nicked. Although all of them did not complain of any fit issues.

I had one for a few hours and returned it. I did have a slight fit issue but nothing major at all.

I have a CandyShell now I am happy with but will admit am curious what Incase will have to offer...

21. clarke917 macrumors newbie

My bumper doesn't move at all either. The only grip I have with the bumper case is that it has caused me some issues with connecting the iPhone to 3rd party accessories because of the tight opening it creates for the 30 pin connector.

22. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

My black bumper was also loose on the sides. I was disappointed, then I found this fix - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=956594

It helps with the reception, but it's not perfect. With the death grip it still goes down, but not as far. Without the bumper it would go from 5 bars to 1 or 'No Service'. With the bumper it goes down from 5 to 3 bars.

23. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

I have to say that I didn't expect to like the bumper, but after using one for the last week I think it's great for what I need. When I first put it on the phone, it didn't fit perfectly and the phone slid around slightly. However, after a few days it fits the phone perfectly. I'm not sure why, maybe it just has to do with manufacturing and allowing the case a few days to return to the correct form after being removed from the packaging.

It also seems to protect from drops. I am typically very careful with personal electronics, but the other day a co-worker was yelling for help and when I went to run outside the phone fell about three feet onto a linoleum floor. It landed face down but didn't get cracked or scratched, I'm assuming because the bumper prevented the glass from coming into direct contact with the floor.

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I sold mine for $20 today. I'll wait for the Speck Pixelskin to come back in stock.

25. ajnicho macrumors 6502a