Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roland Deschain

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I'm a big guy. Tall, big hands, big feet. Let me tell you, the world is not made for people my size. Airline seats = tiny little torture chambers from hell. Size 15 shoes mean not only do I never get to buy shoes on sale, I can rarely even find any shoe in my size. I end up wearing some hideous workout shoes because they're all I can find. Costco, my favorite store, never, ever has gloves or shoes in my size. Half my hand hangs off the bottom of my "baby Glock"; even with a Pearce grip extension my pinky finger still floats, lonely in space. It's a sad lot in life.

Until I got my 6+ today. For once, a product that actually works for me, where it is actually a benefit to have big hands. I am really loving my new phone and find it to be the perfect size for my ginormous hands. One handed I can reach all areas of the screen except the three icons in the upper left corner on the home screen. That's a pretty small "dead space" that I can totally live with. I find I've had to alter my grip a little bit compared to my iPhone 5, and I'm nervous to go one handed until my case comes.

I realize most people will probably just end up using two hands with the 6 plus. Nothing wrong with that, but I just wanted to share my joy that a mass produced consumer device is actually better in my hands!

julyzerg

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Good for you, you should have used a fapblet (fone + tablet) they normally 6 - 7'' (I had the Dell Streak in the past and it worked but I have to sell it because I could not bend it to fit it on my pant).
It's hard to find oversize shoes or gloves at store but they are all over the internet (online store) I did a simple search and found thousand of them at shoes.com, most of time I see the shoes on sale are all oversize (12-15...) you need to start online shopping man :rolleyes:

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I agree OP... I'm a big guy with big hands. The phone is perfect.

Don't need the reachability... and can use it one handed. (I still text with both LOL and it's a lot easier than the 5s)

Solid device.

Roland Deschain

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Good for you, you should have used a fapblet (fone + tablet) they normally 6 - 7'' (I had the Dell Streak in the past and it worked but I have to sell it because I could not bend it to fit it on my pant).
It's hard to find oversize shoes or gloves at store but they are all over the internet (online store) I did a simple search and found thousand of them at shoes.com, most of time I see the shoes on sale are all oversize (12-15...) you need to start online shopping man :rolleyes:

I do, but saying I just go to Zappos doesn't properly convey the angst. I'm not really upset with the world, just wanted to dramatically illustrate my delight. I've wanted a phablet sized iPhone for about 3 years now, and had vowed that if Apple didn't make a bigger phone this go around, I was going to suck it up and switch to Android (although a foray into a cheap Android tablet a year ago sent me scurrying back to iOS and an iPad Air after a couple of weeks). So imagine my delight when the phone I had wanted for a long time, then a bit longer when waiting for my "pre"-order, finally falls into my hands and it is even better than I dared hope it would be!

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
I always see XXL size items on sale.
That's the main size that's on sale! Like they are trying to get rid of it.
Maybe there aren't so many XXL size people shopping where I shop.

..Do you by any chance live in USA?

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I feel you op! I'm the opposite. I wear size Small shirts and skinny jeans and it's tough finding stuff that fits. Everyone wants to sell you Large and XL products!

Roland Deschain

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
This is a true FACT! :cool:

Causing mayhem for the rest of us!! :( It is systemic false advertising. Like someone thinking they got a 6+, then opening the box and finding a 6. Still good. Still better than average. Just not quite as epic as a 6+. Someone could be disappointed upon receiving the 6, even though the 6 did nothing wrong and is perfectly fine. :eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Pretty sure I've always seen big hands as a positive. Not sure what land you hail from but you should move. People are pretty accepting of big hands where I come from. :)

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I have larger hands, especially when you take my fingers into account. Larger phones are just better for me. They are a Godsend. I kind of hated the 4S because my fingers always mistypes. No I don't have to worry about that problem!

I know what you mean by the shoe size though.14 here. Nearly impossible @ average stores.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan

lol

what

you mean phablet.

(phone+tablet)

Roland Deschain

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
So, a week in and I'm still absolutely loving the size. It really is the perfect size iPhone for me. Last night my wife handed me her 5S because she needed me to do something on it. I hadn't looked at a 5/5S screen since getting my 6+. I was shocked at how tiny that screen feels now, whereas before it felt a little too small, now I'm pretty convinced I could never go back.

One unexpected aspect is that I'm dropping my phone a LOT more now than I ever did with my 5. I have dropped once onto concrete and once onto tile in just a week (both from about 3 feet). Thankfully I have a Spigen Tough Armor case on it and it remains in pristine condition, but it can't be good for the phone if I'm racking up hard drops at a rate of 100+ per year! I guess my big old hands will need to adjust to holding this thing more securely. I did buy AppleCare, though. Feeling pretty good about that decision right now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.