Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Id like to get an iPad..but all this discussion on this forum of screen problems make me a little reluctant to get one.

I'm in the same position. The same problems (screen, Wifi, heat) have been reported on the Apple support forum. So far Apple has only acknowledged the Wifi issue and is looking into a solution. I suspect they will try to ignore the screen issue as the screen is the most expensive part and it would cost Apple a fortune if they had to offer a partial recall.

This may be my first Apple purchase. I have been buying/building/programming PCs since the 70s. Back in the 70s I was considering buying the Apple II, but decided on a Sinclair (had to build it myself; soldering the chips on the circuit board, etc).

Back then Apple did not have an established reputation for quality. Fast forward nearly 35 years; with Apple's purported reputation of selling quality products, I thought this decision would be a no brainer.......lol. I'm now seriously considering giving up on the iPad and going with a MS 8 ultrabook.

Last edited:

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Id like to get an iPad..but all this discussion on this forum of screen problems make me a little reluctant to get one.

I'm in the same position. The same problems (screen, Wifi, heat) have been reported on the Apple support forum. So far Apple has only acknowledged the Wifi issue and is looking into a solution. I suspect they will try to ignore the screen issue as the screen is the most expensive part and it would cost Apple a fortune if they had to offer a partial recall.

This may be my first Apple purchase. I have been buying/building/programming PCs since the 70s. Back in the 70s I was considering buying the Apple II, but decided on a Sinclair (had to build it myself; soldering the chips on the circuit board, etc).

Back then Apple did not have an established reputation for quality. Fast forward nearly 35 years; with Apple's reputation of selling quality products, I thought this decision would be a no brainer.......lol. I'm now seriously considering giving up on the iPad and going with a MS 8 ultrabook.

Same boat as you guys, aside from the local sellers not having stocks yet, Im hesitant to buy because the issue, mainly the screen.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
My 3rd one. Apple genius said if it is the color issue, no more replace. I said no. They finally replaced it with a very good one.

Here are some tricks:
1. Find a good displaying iPad in apple store and put your iPad above it. Set same brightness and same view (I used the "general settings" page). Show them the difference.
2. It seems the iPad manufactured in early stage is better. They replaced mine with the one manufactured in week 2 in Jan. And it is great. My first one was manufactured in March, my 2nd one was in Feb.

Be picky and good Luck! :D

Mines from week 3 and is decent. Perfect is subjective but i have no complaints about mine!

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Week 2, 9, 13...it doesn't matter. There are good ones and bad ones from every batch.

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Same boat as you guys, aside from the local sellers not having stocks yet, Im hesitant to buy because the issue, mainly the screen.

The cheapest way to produce an LCD is using a blue backlight which makes the entire display have a cool blue tint. This is what you see on most consumer displays (because it is cheapest).

To improve color accuracy on the blue backlight, a yellow phosphor is added to neutralize the blue. This is what apple does for the new retina displays. It doesn't provide 100% accurate color representation but it does produce a "white" that is closer to a true white. Inconsitencies in this phosphor are what can make certain displays look more yellow than others, or different parts of the screen even lookslightly more or less yellow.

Additionally, as the display ages, the backlight and phosphors will slightly dim and the result will be slightly different degrees of the "tint" on any particular display over time.

After looking at these in my local apple stores and in the one that I own, I *think* what most people are complaining about is that this screen is slightly yellow whereas most LCD displays they are used to which are very blue. However, it is a closer representation of the true color which is supposed to be displayed.

Apple has hired 3 different companies to produce the displays in the new ipad because of the sheer number of ipads they have to make in a product that they only produce for a year (when the next ipad will come out). There may be slight differences in the tint or appearance due to slight variations in the materials and process used, but every ipad should still fall into Apple's specifications and tolerances for a suitable display... differences that are only noticeable when you compare two different ipads rendering the same content side-by-side.

I wouldn't stay on the sidelines because of this "issue". If you look on any forum about televisions, computer monitors, or other LCD devices, you will see similar discussions about tinting of the display. This is simply a by-product of the way consumer LCDs are produced. If you google even for any other apple product with an lcd screen you will see complaints of screen tinting.. even the ipad 2.. Some people may prefer a blue tint and some may prefer a yellow tint or some may prefer blue just because that's what they are used to seeing, and maybe they compare their ipad to their computer monitor and their phone and it looks different so they assume it is the fault of the ipad.

With a componentized systems look your desktop computer or home theater you could drop a lot of extra money and get a slightly better display manufactured using a process that doesn't have either the yellow or blue tint, but unfortunately that's not an option here. There's one ipad model and that's what you get. It's still the best tablet on the market.

In reality, to most people, who just want to watch a video, browse the web, and play a game, it really doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
The cheapest way to produce an LCD is using a blue backlight which makes the entire display have a cool blue tint. This is what you see on most consumer displays (because it is cheapest).

To improve color accuracy on the blue backlight, a yellow phosphor is added to neutralize the blue. This is what apple does for the new retina displays. It doesn't provide 100% accurate color representation but it does produce a "white" that is closer to a true white. Inconsitencies in this phosphor are what can make certain displays look more yellow than others, or different parts of the screen even lookslightly more or less yellow.

Additionally, as the display ages, the backlight and phosphorus will slightly dim and the result will be slightly different degrees of the "tint" on any particular display over time..........

Is this fact based or opinion: Blue backlights are cheaper (by how much), Apple uses white backlight LEDs?

How do you explain all the people with white/blue displays (including most all display models at Apple stores and BB that are aged far more because they are on 12+ hours a day since the launch date) and the people who have yellow, pink, green tint screen right out of the box?

Apple has serious quality control issues if all three manufacturing plants are producing different screens. Plus if the phosphorus coating is inconsistent (and according to you that is what is causing the uneven color and uneven brightness) that in itself is a major quality issue.

Last edited:

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Is this fact based or opinion: Blue backlights cheaper (by how much), Apple uses white backlight LEDs?

How do you explain all the people with white/blue displays (including most all display models at Apple stores and BB that are aged far more because they are on 12+ hours a day since the launch date) and the people who have yellow, pink, green tint screen right out of the box?

Apple has serious quality control issues if all three manufacturing plants are producing different screens. Plus if the phosphorus coating is inconsistent (and according to you that is what is causing the uneven color and uneven brightness) that in itself is a major quality issue.

No such thing as white LED at this level. Only blue LED with phospher, or RGB array to emulate white.

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012

Additionally, as the display ages, the backlight and phosphors will slightly dim and the result will be slightly different degrees of the "tint" on any particular display over time.

After looking at these in my local apple stores and in the one that I own, I *think* what most people are complaining about is that this screen is slightly yellow whereas most LCD displays they are used to which are very blue. However, it is a closer representation of the true color which is supposed to be displayed.

Apple has hired 3 different companies to produce the displays in the new ipad because of the sheer number of ipads they have to make in a product that they only produce for a year (when the next ipad will come out). There may be slight differences in the tint or appearance due to slight variations in the materials and process used, but every ipad should still fall into Apple's specifications and tolerances for a suitable display... differences that are only noticeable when you compare two different ipads rendering the same content side-by-side.

I wouldn't stay on the sidelines because of this "issue". If you look on any forum about televisions, computer monitors, or other LCD devices, you will see similar discussions about tinting of the display. This is simply a by-product of the way consumer LCDs are produced. If you google even for any other apple product with an lcd screen you will see complaints of screen tinting.. even the ipad 2.. Some people may prefer a blue tint and some may prefer a yellow tint or some may prefer blue just because that's what they are used to seeing, and maybe they compare their ipad to their computer monitor and their phone and it looks different so they assume it is the fault of the ipad.

With a componentized systems look your desktop computer or home theater you could drop a lot of extra money and get a slightly better display manufactured using a process that doesn't have either the yellow or blue tint, but unfortunately that's not an option here. There's one ipad model and that's what you get. It's still the best tablet on the market.

In reality, to most people, who just want to watch a video, browse the web, and play a game, it really doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

I'm more concerned about the pink/green/yellow spots/partial tints that people are getting, followed by a deadpixel and lastly the full yellow tint. I'm not sure where the long lecture is from lol!

superduperdom

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Get one but check it over for an uneven screen, light bleed
etc. Returns or refunds are relatively easy with apple.
My second one is a beauty. Love the screen, love the performance.

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Get one but check it over for an uneven screen, light bleed
etc. Returns or refunds are relatively easy with apple.
My second one is a beauty. Love the screen, love the performance.

True, but for places without and apple store and only an authorized reseller, returns and hard, refunds are next to impossible.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006

+1

Sold my 64GB PlayBook for it but since I buy (try to) all my toys at kijiji, I'm going to wait it out too. I bought a 32GB PlayBook to keep me busy.

Besides not paying retail, I like that I'm not forced to look for any of these issues. TBH and I've done it in the past, I would probably exchange it a few times.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Time to check if your getting involved in discussions for the right reasons.

Maybe next time you get a defective product of any kind, however significant, don't post on here or discuss with anyone, just accept it.... never question it. Stay ignorant, I heard its blissful.

I like how you use the word "Ignorant" when YOUR post reeks of grammatical errors. IT IS blissful.

SweetDove

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2012
I have a week 13 and it is (knocks in wood) perfect. No heat issue really (it gets slightly warm if I'm doing a lot on it, just like any phone or computer would but no where near hot. And I wouldn't even notice it if it wasn't so cold outside) no battery issues. Simply lovely. Got it on my first shot too, though best buy.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I have a week 13 and it is (knocks in wood) perfect. No heat issue really (it gets slightly warm if I'm doing a lot on it, just like any phone or computer would but no where near hot. And I wouldn't even notice it if it wasn't so cold outside) no battery issues. Simply lovely. Got it on my first shot too, though best buy.
The heat issues varies from one iPad to another my first was extremely hot my second was very cool.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Week 12 for me, very very happy with this one, seems much less hot than my first iPad 3, and a whiter screen too :)

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Week 10 (March) and mine is perfect in every way from what I can tell.

No heat issues, no dead pixels, no color tints, very strong WiFi connection, very long battery life....So, it has nothing to do with the week of manufacture I think.

William.Mantle

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
Well done... After all your hard work you deserved a top result

As ive said all along... If you pay top dollar then accept nothing other than perfection

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012

Lol phosphors? On an LCD screen? Wrong technology dude. These ain't crts...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.