FINALLY!! Just ordered Alu macbook 2.4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maximumsportz, Jan 9, 2009.

1. maximumsportz macrumors regular

Well I've been sitting around these forums reading since Sept 08 looking to purchase my first MAC laptop, (PC Guy here) This is my first MAC machine ever. At the time looking for a laptop many people said to hold off because the refresh apple was doing.

Well I finally bit the bullet and went with:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    SD 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
    No iWork Preinstalled
    Keyboard/User's Guide
    Country Kit

Can't wait to get it, it was just shipped from SHANGHAI CN, I should hopefully get it sometime next week.

Being this is my first MAC any tips on what I should do first with this laptop? Programs I should install?

Thanks.

2. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

If you've never used a Mac before (or even if you have), check out the videos on Apple.com, like this one. Using a Mac is completely different, not necessarily hard, just different. Imagine, if you will, the first time you used a Windows computer. You had to learn everything from scratch. This is similar, except you already know a lot. It's just a different way of doing things.

Congrats on the new Mac, and I hope you enjoy it :)

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

4. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Congratulations on getting your first mac!
    The environment is not that different from Windows so you won't feel lost under Mac Os X. But it is such a better experience then windows...

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

6. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Congrats and enjoy! :D I just got my first Mac on Christmas and I love it! I already cant imagine going back to a pc after only using this computer for a few weeks. It is a small learning curve, but not overly complicated. I have figured out most of the computer within the first week...there are just a few programs that I havent used so Im not familiar with yet like iphoto, garageband, front row, etc.

In regards to programs, it depends on what you need, but I think iWork is a pretty mandatory product....if you ever do any work or want to type letters, make spreadsheets, etc. you will need it. I also have things installed like FileZilla (if you do any uploading to servers), Gimp for image editing, Yahoo IM, SplashID for my passwords, Firefox just in case as some sites dont work well with Safari, printer scanner software, etc.

I would also say to just take the time and set your computer preferences how you want...you have a bunch of system prefs, utilities, dashboard, etc. to program and play with.

7. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips guys.

I totally forgot to choose the education discount, you think apple would still give it to me even though I placed the order without it?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Nop, done deal. However, you can give it a try by calling Apple and speaking to a representative. They will ask for proof about your enrollment. So be prepared for that. (a college e-mail, ID or school related stuff is often the norm)

9. blumoon macrumors member

Congrats on your new macbook! I too am thinking of getting one but am leaning towards the white one. For some reason, I always wanted the white macbook.
    The aluminum one is so nice though so I don't know what to do. Will sleep on it for sure.

10. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

Go for the Alu!!

I just called apple and they will give me the discount even though I already ordered, I just have to fax them proof of being a student, can't complain. :D

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

12. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Congratulations!
    I'm going to get the same machine soon :D
    Well first thing I'm installing (apart from clean reinstall :p) is Firefox.
    Last builds on new Macs are even more multi-touchy than Safari ;)

13. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks just curious what do you mean by clean reinstall?

14. Nik73 macrumors regular

I think he means re-installing OS X to get rid of a few trial programs and language packs to free up a bit of HDD space. Is this necessary now? I know I did it with my original MB, but I'm sure I read somewhere there was no need now as the HDD were much better, ie 250gb as opposed to 80gb.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You don't need a clean reinstall on new Macs. Macs, unlikey Windhells, doesn't have bloatware, crapware or trialware.

Every program or application your Mac comes with is native and 100% functional.

The only reason to reinstall OS X is because you got a new HDD for your MacBook.

16. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

Post pics when you get it ..share the moment..

17. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

Will do,

Thanks guys, I guess I wont clean install my OS.

18. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Yup, it's not mandatory, maybe only for those who know better how "just works" should work :p

19. CoreyMac macrumors regular

i have the same exact unit....you wont be disappointed :) its superb

20. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

Well she finally arrived this morning, I took some pics...

[​IMG]

Tried to key a shot of the lighted keys very cool option!!

[​IMG]

Very solid machine, I can't get off this thing, I just charged the battery fully than let it die and now recharging it fully again. I couldn't be happy with this laptop and this is coming from a long time PC user.

21. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Congrats man!

I got mine almost a month ago and besides OSX being buggy im deeply in love with the machine. As an old 12" PB user I'm VERY happy to get "metal enclosure" back [had a BlackBook before, yuck :p] and decent graphics; the backlit keys are a very welcome bonus too. :p

An overall delightful machine, good luck with it :cool:

Victor