Finally MMS, Tether and VVM on 3GS on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by garciarios, Jun 28, 2009.

1. garciarios macrumors regular

I finally got it to work after nights of no sleep and dreams about it. I was previously successful on the 3g with a post from this forum but failed on the 3gs time after time after following many different threads. I mixed and matched ideas, threads, sim cards and finally got it to work flawlessly and been working for the last 24 hours. I can send Pictures and Video. I had given up on MMS on the 3GS but had a dream about mms so I kept trying lol. :cool:

[​IMG]

Here is what you do.

1. Update the carrier file on your iphone then reboot your iphone. Once iphone reboot update carrier file again and remove sim.

2. Setting-General-Network-Cellular Data AND ENTER ON ALL FIELDS *****except first line in voicemail enter "acds.voicemail"****
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (CAPS
    Password: CINGULAR1 (CAPS)
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
    MMS Max Message Size: [leave blank]
    MMS UA Prof URL: [leave blank]
    HIT the home button then leave iphone alone DO NOT REBOOT!!!!

3. insert sim into an mms capable att phone. Make a 1 minute phone call (No need to log into ATT or call ATT).

4. Go to https://mymedianet.wireless.att.com/ (on your computer) and register for media net while sim is in mms capable phone if it give you an error saying that phone is not capable of media make another phone call until it lets you register it. It will tell you that a text was sent to that phone with a 4 digit pin and it will ask you for the pin. You will receive a text with the pin enter the pin on your computer then hit continue. It will ask you for an email if its the first time you register if it does enter your email then hit continue. After that send a picture (mms) from the non iphone.

5. Log into ATT and under your number if you still see an iphone manually switch it to the mms capable phone. Go to features and change it to a regular text plan not an iphone text plan. (If you currently have family iphone text you will have to change it to the 1500 text plan then change it to unlimited family text (not iphone text plan)
    ***Your account must say under features "Messaging Unlimited for Families - Shared" (NOT Iphone Text)

6.Remove SIM from non iphone and insert it into the iphone. DO NOT REBOOT IPHONE and also DO NOT GO INTO CELLULAR DATA SETTING. You will now have MMS on your iphone and it wont stop working unless you mess with setting or reboot phone.

I have tried it many times and never fails. Please Sticky......

BTW I got it working flawlessly to where I put it on my girls phone as well as my dads and friends.

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

3. garciarios thread starter macrumors regular

I am worried if I post it then AT&T will get wind of it and find a way to shut it down.... It was a combination of all threads in this forums

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

You were probably just one of the lucky ones who got through the AT&T gauntlet, but why post about it if you're not going to share? "neener neener" posts are uncool.

5. garciarios thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I added the insttructions to my first post and there is NO NEED to CALL ATT and go through their Gauntlet lol.

6. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Which carrier file? There must be five or six different ones floating around the forums...

7. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

yeah, OP, which .ipcc file did you use?

8. garciarios thread starter macrumors regular

I have it on my desktop dont remember where I got it. From what I understand all the 6 you reffer to are the same they just update the carrier file to 5.0. I can upload it just not sure where I can upload it to for you guys.

BTW I been sending mass MSS this morning and still working flawlessly

9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Will this work for the 3G as well? Thanks for the instructions!

10. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i have personally done this exact same thing with another att phone that has mms..

my account does not have the opt out and i still cant send mms.

but i can wait till att enables it..so im good...

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Do we really need another MMS thread that just repeats the same stuff over and over?

12. garciarios thread starter macrumors regular

This isnt the same thread because there is yet a thread that makes 3gs work with mms. But I can just delete the instructions no problem.

BTW also works with 3g

13. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Which file? Like he said there are more carrier files than MMS threads on here. Dose your visual voicemail work too?

14. entity macrumors regular

I don't have the option to edit these settings. Why's that?

15. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

but does tethering still work?! because everytime i try to do both once you mess with the mms settings tethering disappears

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You know, with all the options out there, twitter, flickr and everything else - who really sends MMS anymore anyways? Really? I am not saying that because the phone still can't do it, I am saying that because since I got the iPhone last year - I have never had a need to do that.

I have email, pixelpipe, flickr and a couple of other apps that I use. I think MMS is an outdated form of communication. It only still exists for the people who DON'T have smart phones. For everyone else, your phone has internet, wifi, yahoo, aim, msn, beejive and god knows what else.

Am I the only one that thinks this? Even if I had MMS I probably would never use it.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's just you and one other person that thinks this. :)

18. champnt macrumors newbie

Does it still work after you reset your phone or do a "reset network settings" ?

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Lol, so you like MMS huh? Whatever works for you. I just really have no need for it.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm mostly tired of getting messages I can't open that have pictures attached. I think it's ridiculous to have to make sure everyone I know knows my email address. It would be so much simpler for most people to just use my phone number (like all the rest of the cell phones out there!)

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sooo because YOU have no need, others don't?? :rolleyes:

22. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Well, you must not have any girls that send you naked pics, because twitter and flicker dont allow nudity.

BTW: wheres the OP I wonder if his MMS is still working

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The OP doesn't answer a number of questions, to be frank (like the carrier file he used, why his iPhone doesn't get sweeped like the rest of the people who got MMS to work, etc.). I'll be glad when AT&T finally officially gives it to us, so we won't see these threads anymore. :D

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

See, I forgot about that :) Thanks for reminding me. You are correct.

Yeah, because I definitely said that in my post. :rolleyes:

Nope, I don't get nekid pics on my phone. Thankfully. :)

25. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

trying this method out now.

I will be glad to answer all questions if it works :p