Finally pulled the trigger.. 2.0ghz Mac Pro- Monitor Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jburrows500, May 25, 2007.

1. jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

After sitting here on the sidelines for more than 6 months waiting for the "right" time that never seems to be.. I went onto the refurbished page this morning and spotted a 2.0 ghz. MacPro for $1899.00 and said, yep.. it's time. Now I need to head out and buy a monitor.. I am looking at going a 22".... I just hope it's all that it's cracked up to be... My brain says lots of money... but the box of video tapes I have looking to get converted to DVD's arent doing it themselves either... Thanks all for your help in answering my often stupid questions..

2. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

Good Luck

and congrats on the purchase. You will be very happy in the long run.

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Congrats mate, that's a lot of computer for the money!

4. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

jburrows500

I think I will look for a 22" (24" too expensive right now) then maybe down the road get another 22" for dual display. I hear the samsung 226bw is a solid monitor but honestly wasnt blow away by the picture when I saw it at Compusa... (settings could have been the reason). I liked the gateway.. thought they were really nice. I hear dell is also a good one. Any suggestions? Should I be concerbed with the amount of plastic on the sides as I eventually hope to use it in a dual set up?

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

For the money those 22" Dell "entry levels" look pretty awesome. Over here in Australia they're $500 which is dirt cheap for a screen that size and of that quality.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

In your same spot, but with a macbook. I think the samsung 226 is the way to go, online around 300. I am looking at a couple of other ones, like the outlet dell 20" for 260$ and there is a refurb viewsonic 22" that is well reviewed from frys for only 199.

The dell response time I don't like and its a 20", but I like all the aux inputs. The price of the viewsonic I like, but its a refurb.

The samsung I like, but its more expensive, although well reviewed.

Right now just waiting for some good deal to come by before I purchase, Have a coupon for 10% off at Circuit City through AAA.

7. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I believe the Dell 22" is the exact same resolution as the Dell 20". It gives you "more screen space" by just giving you larger pixels.

8. gvdv macrumors regular

Congratulations from me, too.

I, too, am about to take the proverbial 'plunge' for a Mac Pro (3.0) and add third party RAM and hard drives for audio and video editing so I can relate to the stage that you're at.

This may be way out of your price range, but others here in another thread were talking favourably about the Dell 2407FPW monitor.

GVDV.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would very highly recommend getting this ViewSonic 22" LCD. I've bought one and I love it, it's the best LCD I've ever owned, it also gets 5 out of 5 on Newegg. The best thing is that it's only $200, when I got it I couldn't even tell that it was refurbished.

10. gvdv macrumors regular

iBookG4User,
    Many thanks for this recommendation.

GVDV

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Glad I could help :)

12. moonzilla macrumors regular

if you're patient, you can get an amazing deal on a Dell 24", which is one of the highest rated monitors available right now . I managed to get mine for $475 after a 20% coupon i found on slickdeals.net

personally, i take advantage of all the inputs dell gives, so it was a no-brainer for me. lastly, i used to have the dell 20.1" and its a nice monitor, but the slow response time and lack of component input eventually prompted me to upgrade

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That's right, 17" = 19" in resolution, 20" = 22". If you are under forty, buy 17" or 20". Above forty, buy 19" or 22". I'd go for two 22" screens; they are really cheap now, especially compared to a single 23".

14. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

jburrows500

I just checked slickdeals.net and the lowest I find is $585.00 Do you have a link? Thanks!

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Keep 2 copies (on seperate drives) of the digital files if your tapes are important to you. Recordable DVDs are particularly unstable.

16. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

jburrows500

Thanks netdog.. good suggestion. can i go to new egg and buy a 500gb sata drive and drop it in myself?