Finally quit.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlbertEinstein, May 17, 2013.

1. AlbertEinstein macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

No more work during weekends, no more missing my kids birthdays and no more tiresome engineering! I worked almost 16 hours everyday for the last 19 years (maybe a little less during weekends) but now i'm finally free!

Time sit back and relax.:cool:

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So you retired or quit?
    Unfortunately, I started the 12-14 hour days when I was very young (18) and learned only in the last 6 months that it was not worth it. My decision has repercussions, but that's another story. Missing out on your kids growing up for a job is pointless. If you let your company bleed you dry then they will. I'm sure I will personally return to allowing a company bleed me dry, but I am too young to quit/retire so I have a good couple of decades left to give to the man. :D

Whatever the case for you, good for you. Enjoy your time and your family because not everyone has family and I think people take that for granted.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

awesome, i worked for 15 years in corporate USA. i worked in a legal industry that basically ran 24 hours a day. obviously, i didn't work all those hours, but i was basically on call all the time. i semi-retired 4 years ago right before i turned 40. i have adjusted my lifestyle quite a bit, but it's well worth all the time that i get to spend with my family now.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

Good lord. 16 hours a day nearly every day for 19 years? I hope they were paying you ridiculously well, because otherwise, that is simply not worth it. Hell, I don't even think being paid ridiculously well would make it worth that kind of time.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

His productivity was probably pretty bad after awhile. In the short term, you can get a lot done working extra hours. In the long term, it's not worth it since you are tired / burned out and you can probably get the same productivity working smarter for 8 - 10 hours / day as working constant 16 hour days.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

16 hours a day is not "some extra hours". That is living solely to work. No reason someone should be pulling those kinds of hours unless they are working for themselves and want/need to, and especially not if that amount of extra time is not compensated.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm deep green with jealousy!:(

Congratulations...enjoy your new found leisure time.:D

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Could be worth it if the pay is good and the person likes what they're doing

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

True (kind of). But working weekends, missing kids' birthdays, and "tiresome engineering" doesn't make it sound like he enjoyed what he was doing. So, then I guess the question becomes: why were you doing it that much?

11. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

12. AlbertEinstein thread starter macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

You know, you stay in it because you're making something wonderful, but then the management changes and suddenly you're nothing but a burden. Frying myself and spending way too much time in the hospital also taught me about the fragility of life.

It's sunny out here!

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So did you get a pension or are just independently wealthy? ;)

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

I guess it must have been wonderful! I can't think of anything that would make me give up that much time with my family and friends for nearly 20 years.

I also very much understand the management changes and what that does to the mindset.

Glad you finally got out! Welcome to the world!

I would hope by now he's pretty wealthy!

15. AlbertEinstein thread starter macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

I'm wealthy in family, and that is all that counts. ;)

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Doesn't get much truer than that...

17. SMDBill, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013

SMDBill macrumors 6502

I work in a headquarters environment and so many people ask themselves, "How high can I go?" I always ask myself, "When can I go?"

Life is too short to be hung up on titles and power. Where I work we all make a good living so it becomes an obsession for some to then seek the power of positions or push to be "that guy"...the one who gives it all, all hours of the day or night, all weekend. I'm the opposite and I do just as good of a job within the hours expected of me and they all know, if you need me leave a message or send an email. I'll answer either the next work day. Weekends are mine with family, at least short of a real emergency.

Edit: Congrats! Life is short enough....hope you enjoy every free minute with those you love most.

18. puma1552 macrumors 601

Congratulations!

I too work in engineering and can echo the tiresome sentiments, and you can certainly work yourself around the clock at my company, and several do, all day all night all weekend every weekend and pulling all nighters.

I won't/don't, the 50-60 hours I give them is plenty more than enough for a lousy 3% raise and 3.5% bonus, neither of which even equated to a paycheck.

I don't know that I can do this for another several decades. There has been more than one day where I've looked out the window and seen some guy with a leaf blower backpack at the building next door blowing leaves out of the bushes and thought about how the grass is always greener...

19. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

I'm curious - you could not have possibly hated it that much, otherwise, you would have never stuck with it for 19 years.

What changed ?

-t

20. AlbertEinstein thread starter macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

I simply found no joy in my work any longer. The latest management change (many years since the last one) made everyone in my division uncertain about our future, and once they ended our project we were getting moved around to other divisions. Suddenly i found myself developing a new battery system that everybody knew was going to get canned.
    I quite simply went from making incredible products to wasting time on a dead horse.

I think the company will manage fine without me and they probably have many more exciting things in the pipeline.

21. Roller macrumors 68020

So you worked for Boeing... :)

Seriously, I hope you enjoy your retirement. You may find after a while that it's not an all-or-nothing proposition. I know several people who retired from their original positions but continue to work part time for the same or other employers and are happier than ever.

22. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Makes sense.

Working long hours in itself is not a bad thing as long as it gives you energy and fulfillment.

A 3 hour / week job w/o purpose can be worse than 60 hours of exciting work.

-t

23. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

You quit working for APPLE!?!?;)

24. AlbertEinstein thread starter macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone

25. jdechko macrumors 68040

After the battery comment, that's my guess as well.