Finally Saw a EVO 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean4123, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

So my cousin decided to buy an EVO 4G over the iPhone 4 because of all the hoopla about the antenna turning into a knife and cutting your ear off so you can't make a call.

At first glance I was impressed with the homescreen. The widgets are a nice touch, but after I navigated a little bit from page to page, it just seemed messy and overly complicated. He boasted about how when it's cloudy, clouds will fly across the screen. I then realized why his battery dies so quick. He has to have flying clouds on his homescreen.

Then came the browser. He had 4G turned off, more than likely because it eats up battery. He turned it on, and the phone kept going in and out of 3G/4G service.

Then came the screen. Zooming in on that thing is ugly. Going from a Retina Display to a EVO screen is tough. Sure, the screen is bigger, but the resolution is awful.

He then boasted about how he has a 8MP camera. I said that is cool, but I saw a couple comparison videos, and the iPhone 4's cam is miles better. He didnt believe me.

He continued to make remarks that he could "convert" me to Android if I wanted. I told him I like the phone, but I honestly prefer mine. I think he is in denial that there are some problems with his EVO.

I know the iPhone isn't perfect, but its a lot more of a refined experience that i'm looking for, and one that I'd regret leaving for some flashy widgets.

2. The General macrumors 601

Yeah, Android is a joke. Piss poor software on piss poor hardware.

3. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Honestly, for all of the trash talk Android fans talk about the iPhone, I was expecting something spectacular. The EVO has some pros, but overall, it is a big mess. The UI is hideous and cluttered. The app store is nowhere near Apples.

I showed him the Netflix app (which will no doubt be on Android in the future) and he jumped on his phone to search for it and found that it isn't there yet. He was quick to brag about his handy kickstand though.

4. The General macrumors 601

With a phone that big, you'll need a kick stand. I have a friend that used to have an iPhone, then an iPhone 3G. He skipped the 3GS and when the 4 came out decided stupidly to get a Samsung ... whatever Android phone for AT&T. He was a really big fan of Plants vs. Zombies. I rubbed it in his face that I was playing PvZ the day he got it. He began looking in the Android market for PvZ as well, like, not even in search, he went there to install it, as if he was sure that it would be there.

When he didn't find it, he proclaimed "whatever, once I root this thing, I'm sure I'll be able to find a copy out there that works on android".

The shear stupidity of these people astounds me. I've stopped talking to him. I don't talk to people who don't have iPhones. They offend me.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Let's not lie, ok? Android phones have some pretty amazing hardware. The Desire HD looks incredible and the Galaxy S has amazing performance. The software isnt "piss poor" either, its the second best mobile OS out there. Open your mind.

6. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope you were joking about not talking to people w/out iPhones. Thats taking it a little too far man. Haha.

7. The General macrumors 601

False.

Putting the fastest processor and biggest screen ever used on a phone doesn't constitute "amazing", nor does it make the hardware good. The build quality of Samsung Galaxy S (or whatever that thing is called that they have at AT&T) is a joke.

These phones are toys.

Wrong again. "Second best" things suck.

I honestly don't like the type of person that buys an Android phone. I have some friends that have dumbphones, but if someone is going to spend a sizable chunk of change on a smartphone and doesn't spend it on an iPhone, then they are not the kind of person that I want to associate myself with. They make really bad choices.

8. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I honestly think people like you are doing more harm than good for the smartphone market, by disregarding any benefits one OS may have over the other, or considering anything that isn't build with a prototype milling device a "toy" and badmouthing the users of other phones because they made "bad" (read: Different to mine) choices, you make a hostile environment where iOS and Android users consider each other "enemies" as opposed to different sides of the same coin.

There is a lot of really cool stuff on android - such as the degree of customisation, growl compatibility and freedom of app creation that can lead to some real innovation - some of which may even find its way onto the iPhone.

Open your mind.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

What constitutes good hardware then?

You missed my entire argument. The Galaxy S had good performance while the Desire HD has a nice design and powerful hardware. I never mentioned build quality.

That's the most retarded thing I've heard today. By far. How does second best mean it sucks?

You mock people with droids but dumbphones are ok? I think I'm getting trolled here...

10. mrochester macrumors 65816

They're also the sort of people who give the impression that people who like Apple products are douchebags. It's akin to religious extremism, except this is brand extremism. Really sad, really ignorant and really narrow-minded. There should no place for these sorts of views here, and they should be deleted/banned/whatever.

11. Claude626 macrumors 6502

Whoa... I like the iPhone 4 and all(hell, I even wrote a lockscreen for it), but I wouldn't go as far as you to belittle Android devices.

I must agree that Android phones boast "better" hardware than the iPhone. Better is a subjective term here... I'm talking about raw power and bigger numbers. I am impressed with their hardware. Not gonna lie. The only thing that the iPhone 4 has over them is the retina display and the more accurate touchscreen.

The software(iOS) on the iPhone, though, provides a much smoother and more enjoyable user experience. It's akin to... owning a ferrari and you drive like ****. Versus a crazy drifter in a less powerful vehicle. The driver obviously refers to the software on the device.(iOS vs Android)

Android as an OS got some catching up to do, but the hardware being made for them are pretty DAMN impressive in spec.

12. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I think you missed their point on that one. If one was to splash out on an expensive smartphone, in their opinion, it is stupid to spend that money on anything but an iPhone. Smarter people would save the money or get an iPhone (in their opinion).
    I dont quite agree with their extreme view, but I personally have never seen the allure of Android phones either.

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Maybe. But if one is spending that much on a phone, people tend to go for a phone with the more impressive numbers, and in this area Androids seem to have the upper hand. TheGeneral is pretty biased though so I doubt anything I've said has gotten through to him.

14. The General macrumors 601

Open your mind.

Boom! I automatically win this round. Who's next?

Good hardware is that which looks beautiful, is built well (and by that I mean it doesn't squeak when I squeeze it, isn't made of cheap plastic materials, etc) and performs well. Beauty, quality and performance do not exist with any existing android phone.

There's no place for people who /really/ like or dislike Apple products on Mac Rumors? I think I'm being trolled here...

No, you haven't convinced me to switch to Android. Guess that means I'm a closed-minded, biased, Apple-loving douche bag.

I'm okay with that.

15. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Ok, I for one agree with that. All android phones, without exception, are cheap looking and ugly. They may have an 8MP camera sticking out the back, but I dont want some big plasticy pimple on the back of my phone. Apple really do nail it on design every time, leaving all the other brands looking cheap and nasty

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

No plastic? So all iPhones until now had bad hardware? The Legend ticks all 3 of your design boxes.
    Congratulations, you can copy and paste.
    I didn't try convince you to switch to android. I tried to convince you to have more of an open mind. That is how progress is made in the world. It's just advice, you can go ahead and ignore it though.

17. mrochester macrumors 65816

There's a fine line between liking or disliking Apple products and being obnoxiously antagonistic about it. You're perfectly entitled to not wish to mix with people who buy Android devices, but there's simply no reason why you need to post that view here unless you are specifically looking to get a rise out of people, which would make you a troll, and thus, against the rules.

As well as causing flame wars that inevitably bring down the tone of the place, and wastes the time of mods who have to sort them out, it reflects really badly on your character too. You're hardly the sort of person people are likely to believe or rely upon when you're spouting such nonsense.

Back to the topic in hand, as an iPhone owner with only a few minutes use of an Android device, you're almost inevitably going to think it's 'bad' in comparison as you are simply not used to the way it works. If you used it for longer, and discovered all that it is capable of, you'd probably change your opinion from this initial knee-jerk reaction.

18. The General macrumors 601

That's not even the part I copied and pasted. I literally copied and pasted the "open your mind" bit.

I was having a pretty friendly conversation with the OP about how I dislike the EVO 4G, I even shared a story. You people are ones who came in here with your fingers on the flame trigger.

You don't even know me. What I've done here reflects my character perfectly. Plus, I don't care if people "believe" me or "rely" on me. Why would I? You must be kidding.

You're simply not used to the way it works? Or just not used to how crappy it is? I've had Android phones. I had G1 for a month and a Nexus One for 2 weeks.

Tell me, having only had a few minutes use of an Android device, how is it that you're so sure that we will "discovered all that it is capable of?"

I don't own a car. I only like to pollute the environment with the lovely smell of my own farts.

19. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

So you avoided my argument? Classy move. I'll take that as a you accepting my points as being valid.

20. The General macrumors 601

I didn't really even read it.

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

lol. If you say so

22. mrochester macrumors 65816

You shared a story, and added some flame bait on the end. Share the story without the redundant paragraph at the end and all will be well; there's simply no reason for it to be there other than to deliberately inflame the situation, which is against the rules.

If you're happy to be known as a douchebag who can't be trusted, fine, be my guest.

I can assure you from my own experience that just having a quick go on an Android device is insufficient to make anything other than the most rudimentary initial impressions, which have next to no value when discussing whether a device is 'good' or 'bad' given the very limited time with one of the devices. It's especially bad when you've been using one of the devices for a long time rather than picking them both up as new.

23. The General macrumors 601

"The shear stupidity of these people astounds me."

Yeah, I totally deserve a yellow card for that. Or maybe even a red card!

Wait, I thought we weren't supposed to call each other names per rule 1 of section "instantly bannable offenses"? I guess that means you get banned for calling me "a douchebag who can't be trusted" and threezero gets banned for calling me a "class A jerk."

Have I called anyone any names? Nope.

You can assure me from your own experience, ("as an iPhone owner with only a few minutes use of an Android device") that just having a quick go on an Android device is insufficient to make anything other than the most rudimentary initial impressions, which have next to no value when discussing whether a device is 'good' or 'bad' given the very limited time with one of the devices.

Okay, then. Thanks for no input whatsoever.

24. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Open your own mind. Android gets the second most amount of press but it is definitely not the second best mobile OS. WebOS is better in every way. Android is 3rd best at most, maybe even 4th depending on how good Windows Phone 7 is.

25. mrochester macrumors 65816

I think it's clear that your involvement in a sensible, balanced discussion is next to impossible. I can't be bothered to waste my time on someone who either can't see, or deliberately ignores, the error of his ways.