Finally upgrading to Leopard and I think I might throw up...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Inkmonkey, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Decided to buy Time Capsule today for use with my Macbook. Can't remember the specs but it's just a year old so I've been running 10.4. Knew I needed 10.5 for Time Machine so I bought Leopard today too.

I popped the disc in and it scanned it for 20 minutes or so and then gave an error saying the install failed. Restarted and tried again and asked me to partition or clean install. Or something along those lines. So I tried to cancel out as I don't have my files backed up. From then on in my Macbook only shows the grey screen with the spinny wheel for a few seconds and then black screen. I was able to get the DVD out by holding down the mouse while resarting. But my Macbook still won't start up. Just the grey screen for a bit and then blackness.

Any ideas? PLEASE!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do you have another Mac handy? You may be able to access the drive via Target Disk Mode.

3. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Hold the shift key after pressing the power button until you see the spinning gear. This will repair the disk and also start the machine in safe mode. When you see the gear, leave it for a good 10 mins, to make sure it runs fully.

If this dosent work, boot to the original install disk (holding the alt key as it is booting up with the disk in it) and boot to the disk. Run the usual repairs.

If you cant boot to the disk, boot holding CMD+S and go into single user mode. From the prompt type:

fsck -fy

and see what it returns. If it says errors were repaired, keeping typing this command until it reports back No errors detected/were found.

Good luck.....

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Sorry, don't have any advice on how to install this. However, I hope you don't mind my asking... why did you upgrade to Leopard... is it ONLY because of time machine? I'm still on 10.4.11, and I plan on skipping Leopard altogether, and going straight to Snow Leopard. Frankly, I think Leopard was pushed out the door much before it was ready (and I'm not alone in this opinion), much worse than when Tiger or Panther first came out. I think Snow Leopard is what Leopard should have been from the get-go, only Apple put all engineers on the iPhone team, and so had not enough folks left to do a good job with Leopard (in fact Apple admitted as much directly, when they had to push back the original release date). Once you install Leopard, I'll be curious how you like it... maybe you can give us an update :)

5. Inkmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone!

OldCorpse, I was upgrading solely for Time Capsule. In hindsight I should have read others experiences here first. I've kind of fallen out of touch with all things Mac and have always had great luck with OS upgrades so didn't hesitate.:rolleyes:

Cerebrus, I tried most of what you've suggested (aside from single user mode) and no luck yet. When I pop in the Tiger disc it wants to install it but can't find my hard drive. Just doesn't show up at all. Tried restarting to the hard drive a couple times and the screen just goes black after a few seconds of trying.

:mad::mad::mad:

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

When you boot off the leopard/tiger install disk instead of installing open disk utility in the tools menu. Does your hard drive shows up there? If not it's probably gone (which has nothing to do with Leopard, mostly a hardware fault).

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Your data isn't lost yet, meaning overwritten by other data.

If you could have access to another Mac handy, you should try the Target Disk Mode as mentioned earlier by connecting the MacBook via Firewire to another Mac, start the MacBook while pressing and holding down "T" until the Firewire symbol appears on the MacBook's screen.

If you're not able to see the MacBook's hard drive (even through Disk Utility) you could try some repair or data rescue software, like Data Rescue II, which helped me a lot.

8. jdwingnut macrumors regular

Find a friend or co-worker with another Mac to use in Target disk mode. Data recovery can be quite expensive if paying someone else to do it for you.

Tiger does not UPGRADE well to Leopard. An archive and install is recommended or a clean install.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Okay, your opinion yet you aren't using Leopard.

We're on 10.5.5 and Leopard is at an extremely stable stage. 10.5.0 was bumpy, but it has been out for over a year. I think you are being pretty arrogant. And probably 90% of the topics on this forum are people posting issues. You can't go by that figure to decide whether the OS is good or not.

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree. I've been using Leopard since the day it came out and I've had no major issues. The only problem I've had with Leopard was Time Machine when it first came out. After about the second update, Time Machine worked great and I've had no other problems since.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

*shrug* I've always thought Leopard worked better then Tiger...

12. Bosunsfate macrumors 6502

I upgraded three Mac's from Tiger to Leopard. One was an iBook G4, the other an Intel MacPro and another Intel MacBookPro.

In all three I saw considerable improvements in performance, especially with the iBook G4.

The installs also went very smooth.

My comments are not to say that other people didn't have problems, but you should take them as many didn't have problems and the upgrades were just what you would expect, and improvement from the old version.

13. Inkmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Target Disk Mode doesn't seem to work either. But thanks for suggesting it. I get a pop-up that says something like OS X cannot read the disc.:(

14. kolax macrumors G3

Hope it isn't all a big coincidence and your hard drive has actually failed. Have you verified your Macintosh HD via Disk Utility on the Mac OS X DVD?

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I believe the OP tried that, and Disk Utility won't even find Macintosh HD.

That being the case, it's entirely possible that there was something wrong with the hard drive before attempting the Leopard install. Leopard detected this, tried to fix it, failed, and led to the problem you've reached. Therefore, I suggest getting an external drive to save your data to, and using a program that can rescue messed up disks (Alsoft's DiskWarrior is my favorite, but keep in mind that, as of the last time I checked, the bootable CD that comes with it won't boot the 2008 Macs, such as my Intel iMac) to salvage what you can before taking other measures.

16. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

ive had trouble before but it was whilst separating my disk into windows and osx partitions with bootcamp. the fsyk fixed it

but, as for overall experience, tiger i felt was an innovation; leopard i feel is a true jump forward in design an usability in osx.

17. Inkmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Disk Utility gives me an error trying to verify the hard drive. Says "Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit."
    and "Volume needs repair."

18. kolax macrumors G3

...and what happens when you click repair?

19. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is a sign of directory damage that Disk Utility cannot fix. Fortunately, DiskWarrior can repair such damaged disks - and you're lucky that it's only directory damage and not a drive failure.

20. Inkmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, it won't allow me to repair the disk.

I was just about to take the Macbook back where I bought it as I have warranty remaining. But they probably won't take the care to recover my data. Unless I pay them more, of course.

Hmmm..what to do...

21. ra noodle Guest

Cerebrus Maw, Old Corpse, Ink...

Reading this exchange is why I continue to come to this forum and continue to try and learn from those who know a lot more than I do and you have my respect.....I appreciate your providing an answer that was constructed as a step by step answer to get out of a jam, and this is why I respect those who post and answer to help others....this is great---I also am still using Tiger OSX 10.4.11, I bought Leopard, did an erase and install and it did with not one problem, it has done everything that both it said it would and so forth--but I went back to Tiger 10.4.11 because I realized this Leopard asks the user to respond with a little more effort than Tiger asks, and I also immediately did not like this outright crap BS, so and so that Jobs has outfitted this Leopards so called security/firewall---this is deliberately creating the worst of any Windows into Apple OSX and selling it and this is crap.....maybe those who have greater intelligence than I can get their firewall to act 100% just like Tiger 10.4.11 and unknowing but I hope this Snow Leopard you mention will have a better security...if not than I will use Tiger and sit and watch the world go by I guess.

22. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am puzzled by your statements about Mac OS X Leopard. I know, Apple changed the user interface for the firewall for no good reason. However, I don't think it's necessarily any less secure than it was before. You see, Tiger's firewall (and Panther's and earlier too) did the same thing with mDNSResponder and other network services. These need to be let through so that networking functions properly. Apple just clarified that Mac OS X does this - which is a GOOD thing, in my book. Also, what exactly do you mean by, "asks the user to respond with a little more effort"? That statement I cannot decipher.

23. ra noodle Guest

Wrldwzrd89

meaning no disrespect at all but I have no idea what you are talking about because I don't know and understand the subjects you refer to ....this is my problem and I answered it by reinstalling Tiger because I don't understand all this computer stuff, I am not necessarily denouncing any product per se I am telling you I have a hard time trying to grasp these computer things and this is my problem not yours or what is my subject matter, Its like preferring a automatic transmission to using a manual shift and buying a BMW or something like that if you understand me?

24. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, I completely understand. Thanks.

25. kolax macrumors G3

In other words you so ignorant that you can't be bothered to learn Leopard's firewall, and that is the sole reason you downgraded to Tiger.

It isn't rocket science. The Leopard firewall will ask you if you want a particular application to accept incoming connections, which is solely a security reason. If you don't like those popups, you can set the firewall to accept all incoming connections, pretty much like Tiger's firewall. Then you won't have those annoying "popups".

Seriously, you are making a big deal out of nothing.