Finally went to store - No interest - Just me?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by turbineseaplane, Apr 14, 2015.

1. turbineseaplane, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

So does anyone else here really have no interest in the Watch at this time?

I was totally underwhelmed after playing with one today in the store here in Boise.

I think the screen needs to be a touch bigger and then when the battery can hopefully last more than just one day I'd maybe think about it, but I haven't been a watch wearer for over a decade and, to me at least, the Apple Watch really didn't do anything to make me want to go back to wearing a watch again either.

Surely I can't be the only one on the forums that feels this way? Am I?

2. sterl320 macrumors 6502

You aren't.

There are at least like 20 other threads out there full of people that feel EXACTLY the same way.

3. AT101ET macrumors 6502

I went into my local Apple store today as I was passing it whilst out shopping.
    There was a whole display promoting the new watch with iPad Minis alongside explaining and showing all the features in real time as you navigated through the watch.
    The store itself was full of people but not one of them was interested in the Apple Watch.
    They were all messing around with the Macs and iPads but not a single person seemed to be bothered about the watch.

I took the opportunity to play around with it and as you said, it was a huge disappointment. There's been so much hype around this watch but I still fail to see how the price justifies the item.

Is it cool? Yes. Do I need it? No. Do I want it? Yes - but not for what they're charging. I can live quite peacefully without one and can save myself quite a bit if I buy say the pebble time which does its job brilliantly. To be honest, I can live without the drawing message thing as well as the other 'gimmicks' the apple watch has to offer.

4. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Yep, just you. :D

Not worried about those 20 threads after more people bought the watch than the original phone and ipad combined. There are over a million orders. Some bought because they love the tech, some for the look, and yes some because they cannot bear to be left out. I would expect that most of those threads were started by the same folks who for months have been telling us it was ugly, over priced, or we should never buy ANYTHING that will ever get an upgrade. :rolleyes:

Its totally fine if you do not want it. Not everyone likes or wants the same thing. My question is why are you bothering to come here if you have no interest?

5. applepuree macrumors 6502

applepuree

My local store has been packed with people around the 2 watch tables and those iPad watch combos.

6. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I really don't get these threads.

Here let me just open all the Android phone threads and reply "hey guys I'm not interested in your phone thanks"

Because that's exactly what you're doing here and I really don't know why

7. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

The point was to find out if I was alone in how I felt about the Watch.

The forum is about all things pertaining to the Apple Watch.

The forum isn't called "I love the Apple Watch".
    It's for discussion of all kinds, positive, negative, want it, don't want it.

----------

Just as a data point...
    The Boise store this morning had 8 people around the Watch table. All were employees.
    Everyone else was getting help at the Genius bar or playing with a phone.

----------

To see if others felt the same way I do.
    The forum is for discussion - Which absolutely includes *not* wanting the watch (and why, etc)

8. Qrispy macrumors regular

Qrispy

People make threads like these because Apple is popular and some people don't understand why and that makes them furious.

9. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Wrong
    I have lots of Apple things (have since the mid 90's) and love most all of it.

The point was brought up to hear from others who aren't thus far interested in the Watch, or like me, who were actually flat out underwhelmed with it.

10. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

:rolleyes:

It IS the middle of the work day and hasn't the watch been on display for 5 days now?

11. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Quite the opposite here. I went to my local store which was pretty low volume and all the demo units were being used. I had to wait my turn.

12. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I'm not totally blown away with the watch. It's ok. I only dropped like 5 bills on it so meh

13. Ries macrumors 68000

If you had an android phone, you would not comment on android wear... really? really?

14. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

The point is that the store had plenty of people in it - None at the Watch table.
    Just sharing a data point is all. Doesn't really mean anything - Just sharing it

15. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Bingo! He absolutely would

16. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I was going to the apple store today but a tractor trailer tipped over at the mall exit.
    The reason for the visit is to understand what the watch will do for me.
    I don't have a watch now and my calendar for work is only available via laptop.

The price isn't exactly making trigger happy

17. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Seeing the watch in person made me less excited that I pre ordered one

But less excited is still more excited than not excited.

It's a new platform, it'll grow, I'm sure some things are going to be a blast with it.

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I think this pretty much sums it up. The Apple Stores in L.A. have plenty of Apple watch traffic.

19. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Especially considering how the tech in Watch Gen 1 will get totally boat raced by v2 in under a year.

On that note, an interesting thought is resale value. I personally am exceptionally turned off by a used Watch compared to other types of tech devices. It's almost up there with "used headphones" in the "totally gross" department. Should be interesting to see how that part plays out. People sweating all over them all day - All sorts of scratches and dings (due to being on a wrist).

20. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

21. madgalaxy macrumors member

I am curious. To the OP - are you a Pebble or other smartwatch user? The reason I ask is I have wore a watch for over 25 years and when I got the Pebble 2 years ago I never looked back. I even use a Moto 360 when I have my sim in my Nexus. I am really looking forward to when I get :apple:watch.

Don't get me wrong a smartwatch is not for everyone, so I am just curious if those not interested in the :apple:watch use another smartwatch?

22. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Super arrogant comment.
    Spend some time at the Boise store and you'll tons of well monied people in and out of there all day.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

How is that different from buying a used phone in which people used while on the toilet?

24. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

No - I'm totally non-watch (have been since maybe before 2000? Can't recall exactly)

I think it'll need much better battery life before I'm even going to flinch honestly.

----------

(hopefully) They didn't stick the phone up their butt and hopefully don't wipe their ******* with no toilet paper at all. Many will be physically sweating all over their watch all the time. Yuck

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Money has nothing to do with my comment. People in cities like L.A. and NY are more connected than folks in Boise no?

----------

Gross dude! LOL