Financial program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by suumessage, Apr 30, 2013.

1. suumessage macrumors newbie

I have been using Quicken for Windows 2006 but have just gotten an iMac and want some simple new checkbook software for it which will import my Quicken files. I use Quicken only for recording checks and categorizing for tax purposes. I don't do budgets or investments. The Quicken for Mac hasn't been recommended. Someone suggested Checkbook by Splasm, but it is getting mixed reviews. Are there any programs that import Quicken files and are also in the cloud? Or is ok to put the info on the hard drive with 2 backups?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

iBank is a strong contender.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Another iBank recommendation here. I tried several OS X banking app and settled on iBank.

OP>> I can't think if any banking apps that directly store data in a clooud storage solution, but iBank and others could store their data on DropBox or you could just backup to an external drive with Time Machine. You can DL a free trial of iBank from their web site if you want to try it out.

I use Time Machine and CrashPlan online backup together.

4. jtrainor56 macrumors regular

jtrainor56

I have tried Moneydance, iBank, See Financial, Quicken Essentials and one or two others and have not found anything close to Quicken for windows. I find that just importing my Quicken file into any one of these gets screwed up and puts information in the wrong accounts. Also when downloading transactions in bulk for one bank with multiple accounts from inside the application, a couple of these programs just lumped all of the information into one account. If I do a web connect from the banks software I have no problem but it's just time consuming.

My situation is unique in that I manage about a dozen bank accounts along with student loan accounts and credit cards. I have been using Quicken since the early 90's and have been taking care of my kids accounts as well as my parents accounts for years. I have to go back and evaluate some of these again since when I do banking and pay bills I have to use wife's windows laptop.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

quicken essentials imports the old data files. it's fine for just checkbook.

6. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

7. jjost macrumors newbie

You could try running Quicken Windows in Bootcamp or in a virtual machine like Parallels. I do the latter, and it works quite well.

John

8. robkap macrumors newbie

Take a look at Moneywell. It's no Quicken PC, but beats Essentials hands down.

Good luck!

9. trustever macrumors 6502

I have only tried Ibank but I must admit that I am impressed, I love the interface and all the custom reports you can run, can't really speak for automatically download transactions as my bank does not allow access so I need to manually import a quicken file every month but in the end it serves my needs.

Potentially if you got sometime to spend you can do the same with some excel pivots but excel is so limited on mac that you're better off using Ibank.

10. jessaford01 macrumors newbie

Personal Choice of Financial Softwares

I can say that my ideal personal choice of having financial software is the one that provides ample user-friendly features. It also allows you to manage every aspect of your finances, including your accounts, investments, future plans and taxes. Lastly, the software should also provide current information on tax laws and stock reviews to help you make informed decisions. You should know about these things well!

11. zipur macrumors 6502

12. Huntn, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thread revival.

I have not balanced my checkbook in about 10 years. I just look at the online balance and say yeah that looks about right. However, what I would like is a program that allows me to download my bank records for the month, automatically categorize them and simply tell me how much income I had, and how I spent my money.

Based on this simplistic agenda, I started with Numbers 09 and it's checkbook template. First I downloaded the .cvs report and imported it into a plain Numbers spreadsheet. So far so good. Then I loaded up the Numbers Checkbook template that included a categories box and added up the categories for me. I messed with that for about 2 hours editing it so that the cvs report from my bank would load into it and the categories would register properly. The format is different than what my bank report so I've been trying to move the category column and insert new columns so the Numbers spreadsheet would match the banks report. I have managed to move the category column, but the individual amounts no longer register in the separate category totals.

Does anyone know how to add a category box to an existing Numbers spreadsheet? I've got an iWork9 Missing Manual book, but it's not novice user friendly at all. :(

Thinking it would be easier to try out some commercial software, I downloaded trial versions of of both Checkbook Pro and iBank 5. I setup and account in iBank and found out that to have "online connect to your bank capabilities, you have to pay $4 per month through a 3rd party or you have to manually download .cvs files. Looks like with CBP, there is no direct connect and you have download there too. Well, ok, I did this when I used to use Quicken, download files.

I turned to iBank, designated a checking account, selected the import feature for the .cvs file I had previously downloaded, and to my surprise nothing appeared. The account page is just blank.

Then I tried to import this file into CheckbookPro and it came up with all sorts of funky stuff, like 1,200,000 in my account (I wish ;)), and no values for anything imported with the same balance of 12000000 all the way down the page.

This must be operator error ? I'm not interested in balancing my check book, just want an expense tracker with automatically assigned categories.

I'll play with it more tomorrow, but can anyone tell me if I overlooked something basic in setting up accounts in these programs? At this point, if I can get the numbers spreadsheet to register category info summaries, that would be golden! Thanks! :D

13. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I've used iBank connected to Chase for some time and have never paid a fee to anyone. Some banks do charge. I use the first of the 3 supported methods in the following link (Direct Connect or Direct downloads) and there is no charge for that and it works very well. The 3rd party fee you refer to is for a recently introduced alternative named Direct Access. See the first method in for the no charge method: https://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/connectivity.php

14. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

I use Numbers for my budget, and I use my bank's online software for tracking my spending. My bank has excellent online tools and excelent iPhone and iPad apps. They can even import accounts from other banks.

And the online tools are free. For simple needs, the bank's software may work well.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I just started an iBank thread. Maybe my CU is differerent than Chase. I'm using the built in iBanks web browser function to download my checking data in Quicken qfx format. I believe for online connectivity and even bill pay, you need to pay the subscription.

My credit union has something similar, which could work well except I can't seem to isolate it on a month to month basis, it's all one big blob of data. Could be user error. I should call them and verify.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't. iBank had made this very confusing, but you use the "Direct Download" method to DL transactions straight into iBank with no charge. It is the Direct Access service that has a fee.

I am currently using iBank 5 with Direct Download to import my Chase transactions and I am not paying any fee.

You can see the two options here when you setup an account in iBank 5.

[​IMG]

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Since this concerns iBank5 specifically, I've answered in the iBank thread.

18. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

My only issue with my bank's software is that it won't let my categorize transactions that haven't completely processed yet. It only takes a day or two for the transaction to finalize, but it would be handy to categorize them immediately.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've gotten that message too. I had no idea I could see transactions in my online register that were not completely processed.