Find my iPhone iOS 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kiantech, Nov 22, 2010.

1. kiantech macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I want to use the new free find my iPhone feature on my iPhone 4. When I try to add a 'mobile me' account it asks for my apple id. When I try to sign in it says verifying...then says my password is wrong (and yes Im using the right ID/pw. Anyone else have this problem?

2. mufadal84 macrumors member

i had to try it a few times too for it to accept my credentials..

3. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

i'm having the same problem too. I have checked and rechecked and re rechecked the ID/Password but still no successful login.

4. mufadal84 macrumors member

i love this.. i never had mobile me so the ability to display messages on someone elses phone is awesome [considering i pretty much know all the log in for my family so pranking would be alot of fun]

5. skyperbon macrumors regular

Setting up Find my iPhone account

Hey, am using an iPod Touch 2G. I wanted to set up the new Find my iPhone account but I don't have the iPhone or the iTouch 4G.

Can anyone please setup the account for me. It would be grateful. Mail me on: skyperbon@gmail.com

will give you the id and password to set up.

Thanks in advance.

6. mufadal84, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

mufadal84 macrumors member

I dont think it would work on 2g.

Edit:

My mistake, I meant to say it wont work if its not updated to the OS 3.0 or higher.

7. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ditto. This new feature is awesome! :apple:

8. skyperbon macrumors regular

@mufadal84: Thanks a lot for the fast reply. Didn't realise that 2G was not supported.

9. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

I got it to accept my password, sent out the verification. The mobileme account still isn't verfied, anyone know how long it takes. I figure it may be awhile with everyone doing it now.

10. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Find my iPhone does work with any iDevice running iOS 3.1 or later. I've got my kid's 2G iPod Touch set up. Now this is with the full MobileMe paid version, I can't speak for if they've changed anything with the free Find My iPhone (obviously the signing up is different since you have to do that from a current iOS device but you know that already).

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

All iOS devices support Find My iPhone (even the original iPhone and original iPod touch) - you need iPhone OS 3.0 or higher.

To activate the free service, you need the latest iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I was having problems too, so I just typed my password into a word doc then pasted it into the password field on Mobile me, seemed to work fine.

13. khmaikiew macrumors member

If you're having trouble with Find my iPhone where it says it needs an e-mail and the password might be incorrect, go to appleid.apple.com .
    From there login to it with your AppleID and check to make sure your AppleID matches the e-mail address you provided if not there should be a box for you to submit so that all that matches. You can also check to see if your e-mail has been verified, if it hasn't it won't have a checkmark saying verified. Double check all that.
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/
    Should help you get started.

14. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

anyone else having issues trying to find their phone? the account continues to ask me to type in my password, but it doesn't let me in.

i have reset my password and everything.

15. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Does this use constant 3G connection to keep gps updated every few min?

16. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

No.

When you use the feature, Apple will contact your iOS device and tell it to send its current location back to Apple. It'll then be displayed to you on me.com or in the Find My iPhone app.

Your device should only use GPS for a few seconds when doing this. If your iOS device is able to use Wi-Fi, it should send it over the Wi-Fi network.

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am a MobileMe subscriber and had Find my iPhone for some time. After the 4.2.1 update it didn't work and I had the exact same issue as the others. All I did was reenabling the feature on my iPhone (by disabling and then enabling it), and it worked after that...

18. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I got it to work by merging my primary email address and apple ID so that my apple ID is now my primary email address.

You can do this by visiting the link that khmiakiew provided:http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/

Find my iPhone is now working for me using this solution.

19. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Do you have to be on 4.2.1 on your iPhone 4 for this to work, considering the fact that you can add older 3.x devices?

Password and gmail addy (Apple ID) arent going through so just wondered.

20. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I am really frustrated. I am having no luck accessing where my iphone is at www.me.com. It asks me over and over again to enter my password without showing anything.

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

To set it up for the first time you need to have iOS 4.2.1 or higher on a current generation device (iPhone 4, iPod touch 4th Generation or iPad).

The feature works on devices running older iOS versions once you have an account that can use the service.

22. Brradley macrumors member

I changed both of my ID's and primary email to the same thing - but when I add mobileme to the accounts on my iPod, it says it's sent an email to my old primary email address, and haven't received the email on either of the accounts.

23. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

which iPod are you using?

24. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

can anyone help me?

25. Brradley macrumors member

4th generation :)