Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
After some period of inactivity, Find My iPhone app logs the user out, which is all fine and dandy. On occasions, however, it logs me out with a message "The Apple ID or password you entered is incorrect", wiping out Apple ID field in the process.

Entering both Apple ID and password is rather tedious. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Anyone with a solution?

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Happening to me too. Also on first open after a long period of time it immediately quits and has to be reopened.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Yea it sucks because before it was free the app use to remember the ID :mad:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It remembered the ID jus fine back when it was a paid-only feature.

The exact day they let everyone in for free it started doing this. So I'm gonna go ahead claim that's the reason. Perhaps Apple wants to passive-aggressively punish them all? "Here, have something for free...lousy cheapskates...let's see how they like this!"

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I'm going to say it's a privacy issue.
What if... your girlfriend logged in on your iPhone to find her phone (that somehow got lost in the couch)? Well then voila! You now have access to know where her phone is at all times.

As for password issues, MobileMe has been going through a rough patch for the past week or so. I think they recently instated an 8-character minimum password. Mine was 6 characters long and had to change it. But don't take my word for it!

Come on kiddos, use your noggin'!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm going to say it's a privacy issue.
What if... your girlfriend logged in on your iPhone to find her phone (that somehow got lost in the couch)? Well then voila! You now have access to know where her phone is at all times.

No you don't.

How're you gonna log into her account without knowing her password?

And are you telling me you don't know your girlfriend's MobileMe e-mail address? I wouldn't exactly call her a "girlfriend" if she doesn't want you to e-mail her.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
No you don't.
How're you gonna log into her account without knowing her password?
And are you telling me you don't know your girlfriend's MobileMe e-mail address? I wouldn't exactly call her a "girlfriend" if she doesn't want you to e-mail her.

True, I understand what you guys are getting at. You just want the app to remember the ID field, correct?

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I've submitted this as a defect under the iOS dev program. We'll see if Apple responds with 'as designed' as I suspect they will. Too bad because I use that app 10 times a day to 'creep' on my 16 yr old.

bulletmark

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
I've submitted this as a defect under the iOS dev program. We'll see if Apple responds with 'as designed' as I suspect they will.
No, this is clearly a bug.

Some times the apps drops you back to the login screen, keeping your account ID but prompting for a password. This is how I suggested it is designed to normally work.

Other times however, the app drops you back to the login screen but clears the account ID as well. Most times it does this for me it also actually closes the complete app. I see a tiny instant of the app and then it appears to crash. When you open the app again it has the account ID cleared. I doubt the app is "designed" to work like this, it is indistinguishable from an app crash which is what I suspect is actually happening.

This has happened for me since the free find my iphone was announced but I could never find anybody else complaining about it on the web until today when I stumbled across this thread. It is *very* annoying. I have deleted the app (to clear its data) etc but no difference.

My email address/account id has a dash ("-") in it. It's not that simple is it?

maddin4j

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2009
Guys I have found a solution! I have found these steps online and they worked for me. Finally no retyping my long email anymore.

Follow these steps:

1) go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> MobileMe -> Account
2) remove the password and retype it. Then press 'done'.
3) Restart your iPhone.
4) Open the Find My iPhone app. Enter you Apple ID and password for hopefully the last time.

I hope this will work for you! It worked for my iPhone. I will try this on my iPad now too. Let me know if it helped for you or if you have any questions!

Seems to be working great on my iPad too :D!!

Last edited:

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
The defect I opened with Apple (bug # 8815134) still shows status as 'Open' which at least means it's not been classified 'as designed'.

belias00

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Just wondering if anyone's found a solution for this yet? It's driving me nuts!

Also - it appears that the app actually crashes on my phones (3 family iPhone 4's doing the same thing) - then after opening it again, it works but requires a username/password to continue.

I have the "console" app on my iPhone and it reports "Application 'Find iPhone' exited abnormally with signal 11: Segmentation fault: 11". Thought I'd throw that in just in case any devs out there...

- Brian

bulletmark

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
I have never seen any "segmentation fault" but, as I said above, purely from way the app wantonly drops back to the home screen I suspected it was actually crashing. That and the fact the login screen then requires entry of the full username, and password. This is a very annoying bug which greatly compromises usability of the find-my-iphone app.

I suspect this bug actually happens to many users but most are not aware that this is not working as it is intended? Perhaps it is worse than that? Perhaps even Apple staff/developers think this is acceptable and as designed?

C'mon Apple, the above post is evidence that it is a simple program crash. Probably a classic null pointer dereference? This should not be a hard bug to find, particularly if given the crash address as the above tool/process can probably provide?

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
I agree with the above.
This should be an easy fix by Apple, I dont know why they didnt release an update yet?

They're waiting for the iPhone 5. That's normally when they fix things and try and make everything top notch. That's when all the sales come in.

bulletmark

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
They're waiting for the iPhone 5.

I hope not. Because, as we have seen with the 3GS, Apple have a tendency to artificially constrain functionality and improvements from their older phones. E.g. there is simply no reason why find-my-iphone should not be available on a 3GS phone. In fact, it is available on a 3GS if you stuff around and register it on an account opened via an iphone 4. That's a simply rediculous constraint, and work-around.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
I hope not. Because, as we have seen with the 3GS, Apple have a tendency to artificially constrain functionality and improvements from their older phones. E.g. there is simply no reason why find-my-iphone should not be available on a 3GS phone. In fact, it is available on a 3GS if you stuff around and register it on an account opened via an iphone 4. That's a simply rediculous constraint, and work-around.

Haha yeah I know. I have an iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G all in the family. Since I have the iPhone 4 I was able to set up find my iPhone on all the phones. And even if you don't have an iPhone 4, you're always able to go to the Apple store and do it though their test phones that they have laying around. Just make sure you sign out of your email.

As for having it for the 3GS, yes there is no reason expect one. A feature that is exclusive to the iPhone 4 (even though it's really not) bring more attention to the device. Hey look.. if you lose it you can use our new exclusive app to find your device. It's just a marketing scheme in my mind. It probably helps make the sales. I'm assuming the iPhone 3GS will be obsolete come time for iOS 5. Since Apple is going to make all the 3GS owners want to upgrade. As they did with iPhone 3G owners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.