finder vs. itunes discrepancy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by astromoose, Feb 1, 2010.

1. astromoose macrumors member

astromoose

Hello,
    I just called applecare about this and they were no help.
    iTunes reports 9788 songs comprising 79.10GB. However, when I go to 'get info' on my itunes music folder from the finder it reports 85.11GB with 10888 items.

Is there a way to figure out what is in the itunes folder that it is refusing to recognize?

Thanks for any help.

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

What OS version are you running? Could be a case of base2 and base10 files sizes.

As for the file count, the itunes folder has all sourts of database and index files used by iTunes, so the iTune count is just the number of songs/videos you have. The Finder count is all the files under that directory (songs/movies + index files)

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

This could be videos or album artwork, or iPhone/iPod Touch software, or items that you have removed form your iTunes library but not deleted. Check how big the "iTunes Music" folder inside the "Music" folder is, then subtract the size of the "Movies" and "TV Shows" folders inside the "iTunes Music" folder.

4. astromoose thread starter macrumors member

astromoose

I am running 10.6.2, I considered the base2 vs base10 issue but can't seem to make sense of the size being ~5-6 gigs off with around 1000 files being unaccounted for.

Thanks for the responses.
    The folder I have specified in iTunes to be the 'music folder' is not the default one (different location from ~/Music/iTunes/.)
    So any iPhone backups or album artwork will reside in ~/Music/iTunes/, the music being in a different folder.

I have checked for any videos or other downloads, but to no avail... I cannot figure out what is taking ~5-6 gigs with 1000 or so files.

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I think gnasher729 is right. I have about 2000 items in my Album Artwork folder alone.

mt