Finder window closing when opening applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AcesHigh87, Jun 11, 2010.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I've had my macbook for probably a year and a half now and have never seen this before but it's creeping me out.

Today, suddenly, my finder has started quitting whenever I go to the "applications" tab. Every other part of the finder works but the applications refuse to open. It's worrying me because I think it could be one of those few mac viruses. I'm running a virus scan at the moment to see.

Also on the possible virus front. I had cleaned my HDD the other day and gotten it to 58 gigs left of free space. A few days later it came up as 78 free though which confused me.

I had downloaded a program called macaroni to run some stuff on my computer and I'm worried it might have done something to it, does anyone know if my hunch is right?

Also, I deleted the preferences already and restarted, as well as straight re-starts several times but no luck. Does anyone have an ideas of what to do? I'm running on Snow Leopard, if that helps.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, there ARE no Mac viruses: Mac Virus/Malware Info

Second, try repairing permissions.

3. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I'm fairly certain mac malware does exist, not so much viruses, but still. In any case, how can you actually repair permissions? That link just kinda explains what it is. Is it in the install disk or what?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the malware info I posted a link to, then come back and name ONE... just ONE Mac virus that runs on current Mac OS X.

5. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Does it really matter? I'm just saying what I've heard. It really doesn't matter if you're right or if I am, I just want to fix this issue because clearly it's not working right.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It does matter, because those who are new to Macs or to this forum could be mislead by your false statement. Just because you've "heard it", doesn't make it accurate.

This isn't Windows. With Mac OS X, viruses or other malware are generally the last possible source of problems; not the first.

Have you repaired permissions, as suggested? Have you tried uninstalling Macaroni, to see if you get the same results?

7. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Well, regardless of what you're telling me, the virus scan has been running for awhile so I'd rather let it finish then make it a waste, I can't do anything until then.

As far as Macaroni goes, I'm not sure. It seemed to only have installed a thing in the system preferences and I got rid of that and can't find it anywhere else but it never actually installed an application.

I'll be doing a disk repair later tonight. In the meantime, as a last resort backup, is there anyway to do a complete re-install of the OS but save everything on it? I have a time machine backup if it helps.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How to uninstall MACARONI????? - Macworld Forums

From http://www.atomicbird.com/macaroni/faq

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Ditto No Viruses. When you say Applications tab do you mean the Applications folder that is listed in the sidebar? By Finder quitting do you mean that the Finder window is closing or the entire Finder is quitting (this would include the Dock as well and they would automatically relaunch)? Can you launch Applications from the Dock?

10. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I can run things off the dock and yes, I do mean the one listed in the sidebar, where all my apps actually are. It basically opens but none of the images do and then freezes before closing and relaunching itself

11. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

So, I ran a disk repair, it did nothing it's still doing it.

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Try going to Finder Preferences, Sidebar tab, uncheck Applications, close Preferences. Go back to Finder Preferences, Sidebar tab, check Applications, close Preferences. Now open a Finder window and try your Applications in the Sidebar. Any change?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Delete this:
    Picture 2.jpg
    Then restart Finder ( > Force Quit > Finder > Relaunch)

14. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I've done that, several times already. What confuses me is that there are about 4 other finder plists with random letters at the end. No idea what they are. I've deleted them all a bunch though.

15. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I can post what the crash report says if that will help any. It's been doing one every single time but I don't know what they mean.

16. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Did you try my above suggestion with Finder Preferences? Here's another ides, drag the Applications folder out of the Finder Sidebar, it should disappear in a poof of smoke, now locate the Applications folder on your hard drive and drag it to the Finder Sidebar and release it, it should now be back in the Sidebar. Will it work properly now?

17. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

The preferences one didn't work and I'm avoiding the 2nd suggestion because, for some reason, the folder "applications" under my user is empty. I don't know if it should have things in it but it doesn't so I'd rather not use it and lose everything.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Applications folder shouldn't be under your user. It should be Macintosh HD/Applications.

19. Gregg2 macrumors 603

.... And if you find the Applications Folder where it's supposed to be, with all your applications intact, you can delete the empty one in your UserName Folder. No hare will be done.

I mean no hair will be done, er I use the same finger for the 'e' and the 'm' .... :p

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, if you cook it long enough, it will be! Rabbit stew, anyone? :D

21. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If by 2nd suggestion you're referring to my suggestion of dragging the Applications folder out of the Finder Sidebar, that won't harm anything, those are only Aliases to the actual folders on the hard drive.

The Applications folder in a User's folder is there for Apps that are only available to that particular user, normally there won't even be a Apps folder in the user folder unless a app was installed that was only for that user. I believe the User apps folder is also used when Parental Controls are activated on a User's account to restrict app use to that user. In that case the Apps they have access to are put in the User's Apps folder.

22. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Yeah, I noticed that after. Anyway, I tried it and it seems to work, for a bit. I can go into the applications sidebar without it crashing immediately but most of the images, still, aren't loading and it still stops responding after a bit.

I can still access everything if I do it through spotlight so my guess, is that something is corrupt. If I could understand the log it would likely say what but I don't know what any of it means. Any way of figuring it out or is my guess likely wrong?

23. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you want to post the log, I'll take a look at it, but I've never had much luck deciphering what they mean, but you never know...

24. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I have a time machine backup from before this started happening so I could just restore from that and hope it doesn't happen again...

Anyway, this is the top of the log. I don't know how much would actually be needed but the whole thing is too long to post.

Code:
    Process:         Finder [1851]
    Path:            /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder
    Identifier:      com.apple.finder
    Version:         10.6.4 (10.6.4)
    Build Info:      Finder_FE-6650404~13
    Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process:  launchd [153]

Date/Time:       2010-06-12 22:36:39.583 -0300
    OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573)
    Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: 0x000000000000000a, 0x00000001211ed004
    Crashed Thread:  8 

25. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Nothing there that means anything to me.

Have you tried running something like OnyX to clear caches, etc. that might help.

Another thing you could try is to create another user account and see if it happens in that one also. If it doesn't then it means it related to something in your user account. If it does do it in the new account then that would mean it's something system wide.