Finding a Men's Dress Shirt that fits

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adk, Oct 2, 2008.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I don't wear dress shirts that often, but the ones that I own make me look like I borrowed them from my older brother.

I wear a 17 1/2" Neck with 35" sleeve - a size generally equated with a short, portly gentleman. The only problem is that I'm 6'2" and weigh 190 pounds and frankly, I look like crap in my dress shirts. They're too short on me so every time I sit down they become partially untucked, and the shirt is far too baggy around the middle.

Any ideas for finding a shirt that (a) fits and (b) isn't ludicrously expensive?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I recently bought some dress clothes for a wedding and I just went to JC Penny and they fitted me there. I bought a shirt, pants and a tie for about $80 :)

3. Azmordean macrumors 6502

I like shirts from Joseph A. Bank pretty well. I wear 18/36 which counts as a "tall" size I think, and the shirts are very long. So much so they'd look ridiculous if not tucked in... but very useful for keeping them tucked in through the work day.

Of course, your size is not a "tall" size, but I get the feeling the shirts tend to be long, so you might give them a try.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Try fitted dress shirts. They're generally a bit more 'tucked in' looking around the middle. Not so baggy... at least, the Van Heusen's aren't.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I could never find one with the right neck size. 20 and a half inches. What can I say, I got a large neck. Chest is 47" too :p

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

+1 that.

That way you can get a Large that will give you some choices for sleeves and neck sizes while not looking like you are wearing your brother's/dad's clothes.

That is what I do.

7. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Dress shirts (as opposed to sport shirts) are by definition fitted in terms of neck size and sleeve lengths. Sport shirts are S M L XL (or simple numerical sizes as in Europe).

Making friends with a good tailor would be a big help.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

might also want to try a big and tall store. they might have something thats longer for you.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Tailor made/adjusted would be the best. But $$ :(

10. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The heck with it, give me a 2X tee shirt. Logoed of course :D

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But they're generally not long. I think the OP's problem is that he's tall with short arms (?) and a fairly large neck. Not sure.

I think this is a brand issue. Find a brand that makes shirts that fit, and continue buying from them. It's a matter of trying on lots of brands. There's no easy solution.

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can have them custom made. Tailors in places like Vietnam work cheap and the Internet can connect you with them. There are a number of on-line custom clothing vendors. Cost is not much more than department store price. Try Google.

Mass produced off the rack clothing is "so 20th century", soon we all will go back to the way it used to be, pre-industrial revolution, custom made. In the old days a Tailor would have to measure you at many places and then adapt a pattern but now computer software can accept measurements of torso length, chest and waist, neck, bicep and wrist circumferences and then directly plot the pattern or even drive automated cutting machine.

13. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

Pretty much. I have an insanely long torso, short arms, and I'm decently slim. My shirts have the right arm length but are too short and are way too baggy in the middle. I've thought of going to a tailor, but that doesn't exactly sound affordable to me.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My tailored shirts are about $100 each... but ho-mai-gott. They are so nice. I lust after more. :eek:

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

DAAAAAMN. You have the neck of a Formula 1 driver. I thought I was big at 19 (19.5 if I'm going to be wearing it while playing).

16. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Thats really the way to go, if you don't fit right in off the rack, then spend the extra and have them made. If you don't know any good tailors I believe Brooks Brothers has made to order shirts as well (not usually my style, but to each their own).

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

;)

I thought you could get tall fitted shirts? Maybe I'm mistaken. It just seems like you'd be able to.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I did read that part of his post, but it's hard to find fitted shirts that are also really long. Clothing is usually cut for a particular size, not tall and skinny, nor short and fat. It's unfortunate, as most men don't fit the image of the supposedly "average" body height, weight, and build (5'8" to 5'10"/175 cm, 150-160 lbs, very little belly and body fat).

Also, I had always thought that fitted shirts were made so that they looked good even when not tucked into your trousers. If you wear it untucked, shorter is better. Not long. That's why they make casual collared shirts that only go halfway down the fly of your pants. You're not really supposed to wear business shirts untucked (looks messy), so rather than make them shorter, they make another line of button-up shirts for casual wear.

I may be mistaken though. I own one fitted shirt that's rather long (on me).

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I didn't know that - I never look for tall dress shirts (you can tell). It still strikes me as surprising though.. I mean, most tall people I know are thin... well, not fat.

In the second hand stores/consignment shops I've seen tall shirts that are fitted, but that can vary a lot depending geographical location (who buys what and donates it where).

20. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

That sounds a good price to me. If you get a good tailored shirt it is definitely worth the few extra £££.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was shopping today (and did get a sweater and a pair of trousers at H&M) but decided I really do need a couple more tailored shirts before I buy anything else at the store. :eek:

22. Adain25 macrumors newbie

I have no idea anyone tell me where i can buy Fitted sport shirts...

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

When you wear a dress shirt every day, you begin to appreciate a fitted shirt.

24. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

No luck from me.. All of my dress shirts are from Bloomingdale's.. I <3 Burberry and Theory. :D

25. Gregg2 macrumors 603

In the Yellow pages. I'd try Kohl's, JC Penney, Macy's... that type of department store first. If they say no, ask about men's clothing stores in your area.