Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
You need to move next door to @Adamscomputerrepair

With enough flowers and explanations your wife may forgive you. ;)
Forgiveness......doubtful! She almost caught me sneaking in last week with a splendid 2010 white unibody MacBook7.1. Fortunately I was carrying it in from the car in full view, had it been half hidden under my jacket she would have smelt a rat, and I would have been interrogated and relegated to the dog-house.
^
^
^
I should have mentioned that her first question was, "What's that then?"
To which I replied, "Oh just another laptop I've been given to refurbish!"
She assumed (as I'd hoped) that it was another that I'd been asked to refurbish - as I've done a few recently f.o.c for acquaintances. She didn't argue the point further, and I got off lightly without really telling a *porkie.
After refurbishment, this MacBook ain't going anywhere, it remains here in my collection, as she most definitely won't notice one more.

*porkie pie = a lie (cockney rhyming slang)

Last edited:

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
You need to move next door to @Adamscomputerrepair

With enough flowers and explanations your wife may forgive you. ;)

Y’all are more than welcome to try. As of current, I have an alcoholic living beside me and an alcoholic living behind me. It would be a nice change of pace for something different.

On another note, had to edit com.Boot.plist for my MacBook to use the SuperDrive but it works. Have to use it with VLC because it doesn’t work with the integrated DVD player. Is there any way to make it work with an iMac G5? My G5 only burns CDs. Considering I’m using it for iDVD, that presents a bit of a problem.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
. Is there any way to make it work with an iMac G5? My G5 only burns CDs. Considering I’m using it for iDVD, that presents a bit of a problem.

The Superdrive requires a high powered USB port, which Apple only bothered to provide after it dropped internal optical drives. Specifically, if I remember right, only one of the USB ports on the new format MacBook Air, for example, would supply enough juice for the SD. PPC-era Macs were a bit underwhelming in this regard.

You could try hooking it up via a powered hub.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
The Superdrive requires a high powered USB port, which Apple only bothered to provide after it dropped internal optical drives. Specifically, if I remember right, only one of the USB ports on the new format MacBook Air, for example, would supply enough juice for the SD. PPC-era Macs were a bit underwhelming in this regard.

You could try hooking it up via a powered hub.

I’m using it on an 09 MacBook.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
you guys are more lucky than me, while visiting my moms place in Narrabeen last year, my ******** of a brother put my whole SGI collection out on the curb (council cleanup), that was pristine examples of the Purple Indigo2, Octane Dual 400, 3 Indi's and 3 O2's. :(

while he was there he also added my Dual cpu PC motherboards I was collecting and my 3dfx card collection, including my Amiga and breadbin C64 with games and the whole pap-smear.. said it was taking up too much room at moms place....

Needless to say I was PISSED!!!!

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
I just (finally) bought a G5 Quad. Got a steal in a Goodwill eBay auction for $70! Seller claimed it was tested and working. According to the case sticker its even a BTO with the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500.
It was close to a friend who lives in SC, so he did local pickup for me, saving me the extra $40 in shipping and any chance of potential damage. I was going down to visit him in September anyways, so I'll pick it up from him then. Until then, fingers-crossed for no issues. :apple:

Reactions: LightBulbFun

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
you guys are more lucky than me, while visiting my moms place in Narrabeen last year, my ******** of a brother put my whole SGI collection out on the curb (council cleanup), that was pristine examples of the Purple Indigo2, Octane Dual 400, 3 Indi's and 3 O2's. :(

while he was there he also added my Dual cpu PC motherboards I was collecting and my 3dfx card collection, including my Amiga and breadbin C64 with games and the whole pap-smear.. said it was taking up too much room at moms place....

Needless to say I was PISSED!!!!
I'm not familiar with that hardware but it sounds as if he trashed a pretty valuable collection. Knowing it wasn't his, why didn't he think to ask you? I'd be seriously tempted to trash something of his that he really cherished. :mad:

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not familiar with that hardware but it sounds as if he trashed a pretty valuable collection. Knowing it wasn't his, why didn't he think to ask you? I'd be seriously tempted to trash something of his that he really cherished. :mad:
It's nice stuff but nothing overly valuable. Sad to hear that it was disposed of and if I were the OP I'd be pissed too. OP should ask his brother to reimburse him the replacement cost of the items.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It's nice stuff but nothing overly valuable. Sad to hear that it was disposed of and if I were the OP I'd be pissed too. OP should ask his brother to reimburse him the replacement cost of the items.

Another Purple Indigo2 is listed on eBay for just shy of $800. If that is a realistic price, then VanneDC is down four figures for the combined collection. Prices for O2s vary. About $250 in the US and one sold recently from Hungary for over $1000.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Another Purple Indigo2 is listed on eBay for just shy of $800. If that is a realistic price, then VanneDC is down four figures for the combined collection. Prices for O2s vary. About $250 in the US and one sold recently from Hungary for over $1000.
Again it's nothing overly valuable. Let's see what it actually sells for. We all know Ebay sellers slap vintage on something and ask unrealistic prices. In the meantime maybe this would be a better source for pricing:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/indigo2.html

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
After just talking about how vintage Apple never pops up on my local Craigslist, I was very happy to eat my words this evening. Scored this BOXED 20" Cinema Display for $30!

These are the seller's photos from the ad, but I've got it and opened the box and they're accurate. :) I posted above when I bought a G5 Quad back in August, and I should be getting it from my friend in SC within the next couple days, so needless to say it will be the perfect complement. :apple: Will be posting setup pics when I get it all going! Now fingers crossed it all works when the G5 is here... ;)
cinema1.jpg
cinema2.jpg

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
After just talking about how vintage Apple never pops up on my local Craigslist, I was very happy to eat my words this evening. Scored this BOXED 20" Cinema Display for $30!

These are the seller's photos from the ad, but I've got it and opened the box and they're accurate. :) I posted above when I bought a G5 Quad back in August, and I should be getting it from my friend in SC within the next couple days, so needless to say it will be the perfect complement. :apple: Will be posting setup pics when I get it all going! Now fingers crossed it all works when the G5 is here... ;)

Dude that’s awesome. I’ve been a little busy today. Someone at my church gave me a 2010 unibody MacBook because “I don’t know how it works.” Given the battery was swollen, it wasn’t a total win. But after a little TLC, it’s running battery-less with el cap until I can upgrade the RAM.

Reactions: CooperBox

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Dude that’s awesome. I’ve been a little busy today. Someone at my church gave me a 2010 unibody MacBook because “I don’t know how it works.” Given the battery was swollen, it wasn’t a total win. But after a little TLC, it’s running battery-less with el cap until I can upgrade the RAM.

You're lucky. That was a great gift!
Imho that 2010 white MacBook was one of the best, if not the best of the whole MacBook range. With the 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn it's a great performer, and appears to be one of the lesser-known MacBooks that deserves more popularity.
Not without it's faults however as, if/when the battery overheats it can deteriorate the upper case and trackpad.
As I'm sure you're aware, the 2.4GHz version is a little difficult to find, and almost impossible to find without traces of cracking either side of the rear hinges, and elsewhere around the polycarbonate enclosure. Another bad point frequently seen was delamination of the rubber bottom cover.
This model really deserves it's own thread, and as I have a near-mint model, I intend to do a full report asap, including tear-down & refurb. This model is a dream to work on!
One quick question to you if I may. Are there any known weak points with the NVidia GeForce 320M graphics card?

Last edited:

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Thanks! That Macbook sounds great! Are you gonna put a new battery in it?

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
You're lucky. That was a great gift!
Imho that 2010 white MacBook was one of the best, if not the best of the whole MacBook range. With the 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn it's a great performer, and appears to be one of the lesser-known MacBooks that deserves more popularity.
Not without it's faults however as, if/when the battery overheats it can deteriorate the upper case and trackpad.
As I'm sure you're aware, the 2.4GHz version is a little difficult to find, and almost impossible to find without traces of cracking either side of the rear hinges, and elsewhere around the polycarbonate enclosure. Another bad point frequently seen was delamination of the rubber bottom cover.
This model really deserves it's own thread, and as I have a near-mint model, I intend to do a full report asap, including tear-down & refurb. This model is a dream to work on!
One quick question to you if I may. Are there any known weak points with the NVidia GeForce 320M graphics card?

To be honest, so far I’ve just got it up and running. I’m trying to track down 16 gigs of ddr3 and an SSD that won’t break the bank. I will say this. On 2 gigs of ram and a mechanical hard drive, it rendered a small 30 second video in iMovie in like 2 minutes. Idk how that is on the spectrum, but it’s better than my 09 MacBook.
[doublepost=1538149342][/doublepost]
Thanks! That Macbook sounds great! Are you gonna put a new battery in it?

Eventually. It runs without the battery and I’m notorious for leaving my laptops plugged in anyway, so I may not worry about it first off.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA

Lucky! I've been wanting a Cinema Display for my Mac Pro, but nobody local is selling them and the ones on eBay never come with the expensive power supply.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Lucky! I've been wanting a Cinema Display for my Mac Pro, but nobody local is selling them and the ones on eBay never come with the expensive power supply.
Exactly! I had looked at several over the last month or so on eBay and ShopGoodwill, but was never willing to pull the trigger for the price they wanted without the power adapter and cord. Figured I'd just use an older TV I have laying around for the G5, but when I saw this guy for that price, I couldn't pass it up!

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
As far as local bargains go, if anyone is in the Charlotte, NC area, check these babies out!
I'm not a G3 collector (have one Lombard Powerbook, but mostly trying to keep my collecting to stuff I'll really use), but these are some machines I know people here are looking for.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/sys/d/apple-imac-g3-desktop/6705088916.html - Dalmation iMac
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/sys/d/imac-g3/6672066072.html - Flower Power iMac with the box

Mods - Not mine!

I’m 3 hours away from Charlotte, but my girlfriend would kill me if I brought another G3 in the house.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
As far as local bargains go, if anyone is in the Charlotte, NC area, check these babies out!
I'm not a G3 collector (have one Lombard Powerbook, but mostly trying to keep my collecting to stuff I'll really use), but these are some machines I know people here are looking for.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/sys/d/apple-imac-g3-desktop/6705088916.html - Dalmation iMac
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/sys/d/imac-g3/6672066072.html - Flower Power iMac with the box

Mods - Not mine!
I've been following the price of unusual iMac G3's such as the FlowerPower and Dalmation for several years.
The latter at the price shown $50 is an absolute steal, which computes to just over 40euros!! That's the price of a good condition 'standard' iMac G3 here, and even those sometimes sell for more. That Dalmation is even less than I paid over 2 years ago (although mine was boxed), and when they do appear in the market place here they are usually priced at 100euros+ ($86) for an unboxed example.
The Flower Powers seem to go for a little less and appear a little more frequently, although they are by no means easy to find. I've just seen one for 50euros ($43) which in my experience is also a steal.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
It sure is a balancing act. :):apple::confused:
Happed to pick up a Strawberry iMac G3 last weekend for 10 bucks (but not booting sound and dark screen).
Anyway, it came in the desired missing color ... hope I may fix it!
The seller also had a fully functioning "PowerBook 175c" with os7 and gave it to me for only 30 bucks. I couldn't resist to take it - same date as my "HP Omnibook 430" that runs on Windows 3.11.
That purchase honestly was to far beyond my Rubicon. - Tinkering with such old hard- and software really gives me more of a chest pain than joy.

Well, there also had be another pick-up on my tour: an 1,25GHz eMac. Even if I think it looks pretty ugly side-by-side with an iMac-G3 or a Sunflower, I'm pretty impressed by the 17" flat CRT-display and sound. It's really one of it's kind. Miss the handle, oh, it's so heavy!
Take a look ...

JumbleSale.JPG
Real progress from one of the earliest PowerBook to one of the last ones ...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/tenfivetube-yet-another-youtube-option.2103937/

BTW: @wicknix : thank you so much for TenFour/TenFiveTube. They're such a pleasure!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.