Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Does anybody here know how to look up the owner of an email address. I know most free services like yahoo, google, etc want a secondary email or some info in case of lost passwords and what not. I'm not trying to do anything bad here but somebody has been providing information about employees using drugs on the and job and due the anonymous nature of the report it can't be believed or discredited with any certainty. The email is unknown375 at yahoo. I'm not posting a link so it won't get bombarded with spam and closed by the user. I've tried some searching myself in hopes they had used it elsewhere but to no avail. Help?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
There are spam and junk email filters for this type of situation. Use them. Yes you can find an owner; however, those are paid services.

In reality, even if you do find the owner, it'll most likely be a fake name.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does anybody here know how to look up the owner of an email address. I know most free services like yahoo, google, etc want a secondary email or some info in case of lost passwords and what not. I'm not trying to do anything bad here but somebody has been providing information about employees using drugs on the and job and due the anonymous nature of the report it can't be believed or discredited with any certainty. The email is unknown375 at yahoo. I'm not posting a link so it won't get bombarded with spam and closed by the user. I've tried some searching myself in hopes they had used it elsewhere but to no avail. Help?

This really is no way for you to do this yourself without intervention from the courts or law enforcement authorities to compel the email provider to provide IP info etc. on the user.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
This really is no way for you to do this yourself without intervention from the courts or law enforcement authorities to compel the email provider to provide IP info etc. on the user.

He might be able to find the IP address of the sender in the e-mail header.

It's like Caller ID. I think everyone would be OK with people showing up as a "Private Caller" if nobody abused the feature. Same thing here. If you're really worried about someone stalking you, don't call or text or e-mail them. It's that simple. When you talk to someone face-to-face, you don't turn invisible so they don't know you. They can see you. Why should talking to, texting, or e-mailing someone be any different?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.