Finger Print Recognition in 2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by colourclassic, Jun 6, 2008.

1. colourclassic macrumors member

colourclassic

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Not an iris scanner? Booo.
    Edit: The OP doesn't actually say 2.0 of what :p
    You could theoretically link a dock to all sorts of biometric checkers, for access to a iPhone.

3. alex2016g macrumors member

Thats why they were able to send boxes out now, whoever opens them gets fingerprinted and send to apple datebase. :D

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Who needs 2.0? I can recognize my fingerprints on the screen all the time already.

5. matthew858 macrumors member

I would be a good idea to prevent theft, but someone could get someone else to put their fingers on it.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You mean without having to chop off the original owner's finger? :confused: ;)

7. istealth macrumors newbie

LOL!!!!!!!

8. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Apple could easily do this. Wasn't there a patent that said they could use each pixel to pick up data of what was in front of it and turn that data into a picture? If this is the case they could show a virtual finger reader on the screen and the user just places finger on screen and the phone reads it. Genius.

9. Switz213 macrumors 6502

I doubt this is going to ever happen. At least not for awhile. People borrow each others phones all the time. Then apple will have to make a way to be able to cancel it if something goes wrong. You won't be able to unlock it. Therefore, someone will find a way to do it and be able to crack it. Also, a friend takes your phone for a bit. They can't use it... It would just get annoying. + the technology is multi touch, but not finger print sensitive. Also, you can't even use a stylus which is muuuuch thicker then the line on a finger.

Not for a loooooooooooooooooong time.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Fingerprint scanning hasn't exactly taken the world by storm.

Windows Mobile / CE devices have had fingerprint recognition for years, using a separate tiny scanner (not integrated into display... much cheaper).

I suppose that if you carried secrets around, it would be handy (PINs or other user entered patterns can be observed by others).

11. zmit macrumors regular

iv never seen a windows mobile device with it though.....
    laptops yes. mobile? no.

12. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Fingerprint Recognition? I've had that from day "1" with my BlackBook!:eek:

14. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

15. MacFanatic08 macrumors member

Fingerprint recognition is a good idea for security purposes, I doubt that they'll have it though.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

So, what are you saying? I can't recognize my own fingerprints on my BlackBook? LOL :p

17. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

The only way I could see this being implemented is if it's a security nod for the corporate market. They could make it remote on/off, so let's say you've turned on fingerprint recognition, but then your screen goes haywire and it won't recognize your prints. Maybe you can log into a website run by apple that remotely "turns off" the fingerprint recognition.

I only wonder about that because historically PDAs with fingerprint recognition have also had password backup, in the event of reader failure, etc. With an all-touch design there needs to be a good override system in place or it is really going to be awkward when the screen fails and you can't sync because it can't read your fingerprints or the password.

18. c1963jtg macrumors newbie

2.0 app store

How Do We Buy Games And Stuff From The App Store When It Comes Out???

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Perhaps I should've added the older term "PocketPC" as well.

HP added a fingerprint scanner to a lot of their PDAs, starting back in 2002. Scanners were popular all around for a couple of years. You just swiped your thumb down across the sensor line below the screen.

The latest Windows Mobile device to have one (nowadays called a biometric scanner), is the Toshiba G900 Phone.

20. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I know why you think that...but you're wrong. :p

My guess is that you are speculating this because of this part of the banner pics that were released yesterday:

[​IMG]

That is not indicative of fingerprint recognition. That is the icon representing the "Cocoa Touch" framework. I'm pretty sure we saw this icon during the iPhone Roadmap preview back in February.

21. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

And lasers?

We got to have lasers.

22. c1963jtg macrumors newbie

the 2.0 firmware app store

how do we buy games and stuff like that when it comes it??

23. phinnaeus macrumors member

There is a whole book of secret information on this at the bottom of the grand canyon, but the only way to get to it is to jump off the top. Good luck.

24. BrianFD3S macrumors member

Yes, the sensor will be the new Home button, which doubles as an Emergency Eject button when pressed 9 times in the S-O-S fashion.

Fingerprinting on mass-market devices is a gimmick, imo.

25. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

You can't use a stylus with it because it works by picking up the charge from your fingers. Its the same reason you can't use a stylus with a track-pad, yet you can put 3 pieces of paper on-top of it and still use it.