Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strikingviking

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
I love the idea of the new 5S security but my fingerprint sensor sometimes works on my left thumb but never on the right, despite deleting all prints and re-scanning several times.
I've tried washing my hands first and thoroughly drying them to get the best scan but nothing works. I also try the sensor from various angles on my right thumb but it never works.

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
I love the idea of the new 5S security but my fingerprint sensor sometimes works on my left thumb but never on the right, despite deleting all prints and re-scanning several times.
I've tried washing my hands first and thoroughly drying them to get the best scan but nothing works. I also try the sensor from various angles on my right thumb but it never works.

My 1st 5s was hit and mis didnt work most the time, returned it due to screen issue it bought another a week later the new one works every single time. Get it replaced.

skylarbrenden

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013

Try going into the settings and rescanning your fingerprint. Maybe when you scanned it you had something on your finger, or there was something on the sensor. Who knows? It's worth a shot.

However, since it's messing up with both fingers, I'd say it's the sensor. I'd probably hurry up and get it replaced.

VinoGrande

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
I'm having a similar issue. It worked fine (at least 4 out of 5 times) for the first few days, but now it works more like 25% of the time. Tried reset and new print scans, no dice. May have to swap it out.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
My wife's first 5s touch id barely worked but then we got another one and this one works much better. Seems like a faulty sensor. Get it replaced.

WhatTheFox

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
Clearly, your phone has a faulty sensor. I wonder if the warranty covers such issues ... especially since it's within the 90 day apple warranty.

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Clearly, your phone has a faulty sensor. I wonder if the warranty covers such issues ... especially since it's within the 90 day apple warranty.

Yes, the warranty would cover this. Also, the warranty is a year, not 90 days.

strikingviking

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
I did wash my thumbs very carefully each time I did a re-scan. The strange thing is that the scan on my right thumb (the one that does not currently work) worked for a few times then never again. The left, only sporadically.
I bought the phone direct through AT&T so should I return it to their store or to an Apple store.
thanks for all of your input.

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
My 1st 5s was hit and mis didnt work most the time, returned it due to screen issue it bought another a week later the new one works every single time. Get it replaced.

This. they are definitely having major hardware issue with the Touch ID sensors. My first 5s was completely inconsistent and kept questioning how I was holding it, whether my hands were clean etc. Ended up exchanging it for a new one and it worked perfectly. I then traded in that phone for a gold 5s and the touch ID sensor was inconsistent again after a few days. Again, I kept questioning myself and after much frustration, decided to get it replaced. My new gold phone works practically every time, regardless of a little sweat, dirt, etc. Just get it replaced and don't look back.

jtfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
I had mine replaced because of problems with the fingerprint sensor. It was confirmed in the Apple store that it wasn't working as it should. The replacement worked flawlessly in the store but within a few hours, it's about 50/50 again. The Apple Genius suggested that I reset the phone, set it up as a new phone rather than restore, then sync the phone in case the problem is software related. I will give that a try tonight but I'm not very hopeful that this will fix it. I think it's just my fingers. The left thumb is the worst of the four fingers that I'm using but there's nothing different about that finger that I can see.

scotrinaf

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Blountville, TN
This is the 1 thing I like better about my Google Nexus 7, 2nd gen... Facial recognition for unlocking... Works flawlessly... Now, once you get past that, it doesn't hold a light to Apple though... :)

jonAppleSeed

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013
I just got back from getting my finger prints taken for security clearance at my job.
They made me put on moisturiser before they scanned my prints. They said it helped the camera see the prints better.
Maybe your skin is too dry? We are getting into winter now, which leads to dry skin.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
99% of the time the sensor has trouble reading your print is that you did not register your print correctly. Everytime I watch a video on youtube and people are showing off the sensor they are registering incorrectly (moving their fingers, lifting too soon, etc.)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I just got back from getting my finger prints taken for security clearance at my job.
They made me put on moisturiser before they scanned my prints. They said it helped the camera see the prints better.
Maybe your skin is too dry? We are getting into winter now, which leads to dry skin.

Perhaps. I have noticed reliability decline considerably over the past few days. At the same time, temperatures have dropped so there is less moisture in the air.

Potentially lending credence to this is that the last few times I've had it not register, I've then breathed on my finger (as if to warm it) and re-set it, and then it work. I'd need to try it out longer to see if it's just a coincidence.
99% of the time the sensor has trouble reading your print is that you did not register your print correctly. Everytime I watch a video on youtube and people are showing off the sensor they are registering incorrectly (moving their fingers, lifting too soon, etc.)

I've had it fail to register when I haven't done any of that. Actually, I've sometimes noticed better response when I've lifted my finger and re-set it after pressing to wake it vs. pressing and leaving it there.

I also think there are some software issues that will be sorted out in future updates to iOS 7.

strikingviking

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
As per the Apple tech's suggestion, I tried a hard reset--no luck. Then a backup and restore and it worked for a few days then gradually went useless again. Tech then said it was a software issue and that I needed to do a restore and set it up as a new phone. (Of course I lost all my text messages.)
This has worked for a week and now slowly fading again.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Only just discovered thus thread. I thought it was only me! My thumb print works only 20% of the time. I keep having to scan and set it up again. After reading this thread maybe I should ask for a replacement? It seems such a trivial thing but the fingerprint sensor was my main reason for upgrading from the 5 to the 5s.

wlow3

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I'm getting this too. It worked almost flawlessly before, with just the occasional 'try again' message. Now today I repeatedly put one of my registered fingers on the Touch ID sensor and I get no response. I have to use my passcode just to get in the phone. Then it will work for a while and then a little later it'll become unresponsive again. I wonder if this is a 7.0.4 bug.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I was having a issues too until I realized the sensor didn't pick up my finger when it was dry or peeling. To fix mine I re scanned my finger multiple times dry and moisturized. If that doesn't work your sensor has probably bit the dust.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
We've just got to decide when it's a case of contacting Apple. Think I'll give em a call.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If you have a screen protector on your iPhone try removing it and see if that gives the sensor better recognition of your finger. Sometimes the cutout for the home button is to small.

jaylox

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
what is this fingerprint security supposed t do?

ive put my thumb print on (scanned)but no idea what it does?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.