Finished my iMac g3 mod, finally

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dwag3, Jul 11, 2012.

1. dwag3, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

dwag3 macrumors newbie

dwag3

Many months ago I set out to put a Mac Mini's guts into an iMac g3 case and have largely succeeded.

Below is the first image, see more here.
    [​IMG]

Really happy with how it turned out, thanks for the advice and encouragement guys!

2. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

may i ask, what are the new specs of the iMac with the mac mini's guts? what do you plan to do next to it?

EDIT: How fast does it run? and what is the max screen resolution that you can have with this iMac?

oh, and nice job with the mac. i would recomend getting a more modern keyboard - one that is up to date with lion and that. just so you get the full features. :D plus, the picture is a big big :)

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

His keyboard will work perfectly well with Lion.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

COOOL! Man, I have a iMac G3 sitting here, would be cool to do that to it!

5. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

6. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I remember when you first set out on this long journey a few months ago and now I just need to know one thing

was it worth it to get your computer from your childhood back into your life?

7. dwag3 thread starter macrumors newbie

dwag3

Whoa, sorry about the giant picture! The mini is a 2007 2 ghz core 2 duo with 2 GB of ram. The dell display is a rather paltry 1024 x 768 but all I want this machine to do is play music and look pretty :)

The keyboard works perfectly with lion. I tried using the aluminum wireless keyboard that I ordinarily use with my MacBook Pro but it just didn't look right.

Lastly, Lil Chillbil, I felt like the process was half the fun. Though the project frustrated me to no end at some points... My dremel skills leave a little to be desired.

8. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

That looks brilliant :) that an LCD isn't it? Does it match up well with the corners? I'm not a great deal away from finishing my own project but Christ I've hit some snags on the way lol.

Can you get a little video of this starting to desktop whilst having a little look round the case please :)

Very good job!

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

You can edit original post and replace with [img].

Your mod looks very clean, I was thinking to do that same to my Ruby but so far I can't decide to sacrifice perfectly working internals...

Good work sir! :)

10. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

That looks great! I've heard that they don't look as good with LCD's, but that looks pretty nice. I was hoping to get a Ruby myself to work with, though I might just paint my clamshell iBook the same color.

11. dwag3 thread starter macrumors newbie

dwag3

No the LCD doesn't match up particularly well but for my purposes it's okay. I originally was going to dremel the display bezel down to accomodate the LCD screen area but I'm not too neat with power tools and the plastic I did dremel on the inside was very brittle. I'm looking for another solution but for now this is just fine :) 666sheep thanks, I fixed my image post!

12. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

Even with the LCD it looks very good, well done and the graphite colour is my favorite.

13. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Now do the same with a imac g4 with almost no space to work with
    then i'll really be impressed

14. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Wow, I really love how it looks from the side with it's guts clearly showing. Nice!

15. dwag3 thread starter macrumors newbie

dwag3

I would love to but I don't have the time... Plus g4s run for a little more than I want to pay. If I find one at a garage sale I'll pick it up for sure though.

16. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I understand some people in my local craigslist post them for like $300 for a 15 inch

17. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

18. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I think someone else on the forum did just that.

19. schlief101 macrumors newbie

Awesome job

I see imac g4's go for 100 dollars for a 15in here and 150-200 for a 17in. and nice job on the imac g3 im hopping to do that with mine but I sorta wanna keep it mint but I also wanna be able to use it as a computer again. :apple: ftw :)

20. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

21. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Really nice job! I have an iMac G3 Graphite sitting here... now I am tempted to make it usable again.