FiOS - very cool

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xraydoc, Jul 13, 2009.

1. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; 78; CentOS; US-en) AppleWebKit/528+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Bolt/1.040 Version/4.0 Safari/528.15)

So, the Verizon FiOS installers came today to install my internet service. I ordered the 50 mbit down/20 mbit up tier of service. It's expensive but I can write part of it off on my taxes.

Wow. This thing is fast. Downloaded a 1.2GB movie from iTunes in 4 minutes. It took longer to sync it to the AppleTV via wifi than it did to download to my Mac.

The router they install with everything was giving me grief, since it has its own DHCP server in it, but once bypassed, I'm very impressed.

Any other FiOS customers have hints or such for optimizing speeds?

2. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wow. On the car back from our work, my brother was like "I want Verizon FiOS at home, get about 30/8 dedicated...awesome".

I hate you very, VERY much.

Too bad FiOS isn't available near here. :mad:.

I get 10/3...not dedicated.

4. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Cable has 101Mb service here. I would love to find an excuse to order it, but I just can't justify it right now...

5. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Completely agree. I have the 20/5 service as part of their TV/phone/internet package. It's ~$38 for the internet portion. Also, for me anyway, it has been completely reliable for almost 2 years except for a hardware failure that lasted about a day and affected some portion of routing in the northeast.

6. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

No way.

I share FiOS (50/20) with my uncle, and the download speeds are slow (specifically, Megaupload/Rapidshare).

Or maybe it's because I have a NETGEAR Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter connecting to his FiOS?

Somebody help me out here. :(

Edit: Other family members connect to his FiOS through adapters, too. Does this affect the download/upload speeds?

7. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I agree, I've had FiOS since the day it became available in my area. I love pretty much everything about it. The TV service is much better as well, especially the HD picture. Enjoy your FiOS!

Steve

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Still with cable (Cox PHX) and "only" have about 25 Mbit right now. Still paying the same as when I first signed up (about 5 Mbit).

As great as FIOS is, I shouldn't gripe. ;)

9. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Thats very interesting considering the fastest speed i can get from iTunes is 12.9mbps. I pay COX for 20/5 cable. When I run speed test I always hit ~19mbps down, but I can't get more than 12.9mbps from iTunes, or ~10mbps down from Microsoft servers for that matter. I download 1.2GB movies form itunes it takes me ~18 minutes. I live in south Louisiana, so I don't know if it matters if your closer to Apple servers, and can get better bandwith from them.

Did it really take you longer to sync to ATV, you must me running 802.11G on your home network.

10. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

+1; my area is controlled by the empire known as AT&T. I just got U-VERSE which sadly only offers 18/1.5 as the top tier; doesn't suck but it's no 50/20. :rolleyes:

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

America...the land of the free...bandwidth.

The fastest company for internet in Australia happens to be the worst. The DOCSIS 2 is bloody fast (30/10) because no one can afford the plans or the overcharges. The download limit is 25 gigs for A$90/month. Uploads count too.

But congrats on the nice connection.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We have fiber to the doorstep, but get capped at 3 mb.

13. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

If they are using it at the same time, yes.
    Run a speed test from all the computers in the house(seperately). http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ is the test we used when I worked for fios tech support. Third party so we can't be accused of bias if the results are good. :) If you aren't pulling 30+ mb on at least one of them we move to the next phase...(if you are getting 30+ on at least one, the issue is on your end.)

To see if its you, your hardware, or fios, bypass the router and connect directly(assuming you aren't MOCA i.e. the only wire connecting to your/their router is coax). If you don't know how to spoof your routers MAC, you'll have to call support to have them release renew your connection.

Once you are connected straight to the ONT (the big box usually in the garage/basement/closet) run the test again. If speeds are great, it was your router or something else that is yours. If speeds suck, ask them to reboot the ONT. That'll take them about 3 minutes. If you don't have Fios phone do NOT let them get off the phone with you. If you have fios phone, call from a cell phone cause rebooting the ONT will drop the call.

After the ONT reboot run the test again. If its still slow,they'll need to refer the issue to a Network tech(level 2) who has to see where the issue is and they can either fix it on their end or they'll hvae to send someone out to replace your ONT.

14. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

AT&T just rolled out U-Verse to my area. What I don't get is they are just starting here and are competing against the established Comcast (they ran Fiber optics to my neighborhood three months ago and other areas are still getting cables added). Yet they charge more for the same packages, do not have all the channels (I have no idea what is offered On Demand), and while the download speed is the same as Comcast their upload speed sucks compared to Comcast (1.5 vs 6.0 mb/s). Further Comcast is about to roll out a major internet upgrade in my area.

I think I will stick with the cheaper Comcast until AT&T Uverse program goes under in my area and gets bought out by a good FiOS like Verizon or Surewest. I don't doubt this either since they already failed trying to run cable companies.

15. xraydoc thread starter macrumors 604

xraydoc

It did. I have 3 AppleTVs - one hard wired and two wireless (802.11n @ 5GHz). One of the wireless AppleTVs is in the basement and gets less than optimum signal strength, so its always been the slowest to sync. I didn't time how long it took to sync, but it was definitely more than 4 minutes.

During the initial movie download, I saw peaks of up to 6.1MB/sec. Other sources have also peaked close to that. Microsoft servers always seem very fast, so I'll try them out next.

But then again, for $149 per month, it damn well better be fast.

Upload speeds seem to vary a lot - Speakeasy's test was showing around 6Mbit while others were hitting 16Mbit. Either way, its faster than the (up to) 1.5Mbit upstream I was getting from Comcast.

This is just internet. I didn't subscribe to FiOS phone service and TV isn't yet available in my area. In fact, I was the first house in this service block to have it installed, according to the two guys to came to install it.

And, yes, I did have to call tech support after the installers left and have the MOCA turned off and ethernet turned on so I could use my own router. Took about 15 minutes on the phone for them to do.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I just had FiOS installed*. Lots of HD channels, 25/15. :D
    Speakeasy says it's fast!

*: It's been active less than 20 minutes.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We can't get cable or FiOS or anything special up here in them there hills. But BT are upgrading our lines to some magic special thingy that will net us 40-50mbit, in 6-8 months though.

18. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

I just did the Speedtest and here are the results:

Download Speed: 11452 kbps (1431.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 4134 kbps (516.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

The thing is, at least 4 other computers are connecting to my uncle's FiOS (cousins, uncles connected). We have the box set up in the basement, but the router is in my uncle's apartment, which is all the way up on the top floor (we live in an apartment building).

Also, my uncle paid for only his 1 computer to be hooked up with FiOS. We're just sharing it, after we got the SSID and the WEP password key.

My USB Adapter is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WG121-Wireless-802-11g-Adapter/dp/B0000DBMDM

Does this account for anything?

19. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I'm insanely jealous of all you FIOS people. I'm stuck with 3MB AT&T DSL. They actually offer 6M about 1/2 mile down the road from me, but not in my neighborhood. UVerse or FIOS are only a pipe dream. Comcast is my only other option, but it is Comcast.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I have 3MB DSL also... but sometimes it's 1.5... or 840k :eek: then I just give up and go read a book. We are a bit underserved here and it can only get worse in this economic climate, i suspect.

21. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Mine is like that as well. It's so much fun trying to watch Hulu or YouTube when it gets like that. There are some smaller companies offering DSL, but they all require you to have an active home phone line, and they are just piggy-backing on AT&T's equipment. UVerse may actually come here, since it is available in other areas of the state, but I'm not holding my breath. You would think the largest metro area in the state would have more options.

22. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I have U-Verse. Service is pretty nice. Picture for us is better than with Comcrap. Though it takes a few minutes to come back if power goes out temporarily. DNS servers apparently suck.

No bandwidth caps that we know of. Movie download speed is good. Torrents are iffy. Packet sniffing is a possibility. Televisions apparently do not affect bandwidth much, which is good. Router AT&T supplies (2Wire) is 54mbps. Cannot use home supplied router. Internet connection is stable, unlike fluctuations I've seen with Comcast. AT&T apparently places right up there with Comcast in regards to trying to screw you over.

23. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Which is why I will wait for Verizon or Surewest to take over AT&T in this area. I would be surprised if this did not happen as Comcast in my area is quite good. Especially since AT&T's business model in trying to take entrenched customers is by little advertising, higher prices and less service for that price. The only reason I knew FiOS was in my area was because I asked one of the workers what AT&T was upgrading.

24. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Ditto

I just moved into an apartment where I was told to sign up for a certain internet company that is giving me dial-up speeds at a rip-off rate

Verizon is coming tomorrow to install DSL which may not be fast but will be 4x-5x quicker than my current crap

25. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Our $42.50 a month service from Shaw Communications based here in Calgary gets us 15/1 service dedicated. I usually get about 20Mbps down and maybe 0.99 Mbps up. Not great upload but down is pretty sweet. They offer up to 100/5 service on DOCSIS 3 but it's close to $100/month.