FireFox 2 Beta 2

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
170
0
KALM
They haven't updated the site. If memory serves I recall the same thing happening for Beta 1 of 1.5. The front splash page says beta 2, and the official ftp server has B2 downloads. Seems plenty legit to me.
 

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
888
353
I would urge all of you to try out minefield. It is an aqua version of firefox 2. It is faster than camino, and it has applespell. Also, you can get all the plugins and extensions. However, use this at your own risk since it is very much not complete.

Minefield Project Page
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,567
95
I will be the first to download Firefox2 when it is a finished version :D I'm not a fan of Safari but Firefox runs slower. I had the beta on my mini but it crashed every 5 minutes.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,798
167
Bergen, Norway
I'll think I'll pass on this one. Ok, I might download it and see if it's better than beta 1, but I'm already using Firefox 3.0a1 (aka Minefield, really just a pre-alpha) as my main browser, and that is remarkable stable. The only real issue I have is that it severely messes with my bookmarks, but as long as I'm careful in making (manual) backups of the bookmarks that doesn't bother me too much...

There are also some highly addicting features, like the Recently Closed Tab feature (now why didn't you, like Opera, implement this a long, long time ago?) and session restore.

Now off to save the Firefox profile... ;)

Edit:

Hmm... it seems both mentioned features has made its way into FF2 since last Beta... :cool:

I might just "downgrade" to FF2 after all... ;)
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
viccles said:
I will be the first to download Firefox2 when it is a finished version :D I'm not a fan of Safari but Firefox runs slower. I had the beta on my mini but it crashed every 5 minutes.
If it helps, Firefox 2 beta 1 runs better than Firefox 1.5.0.6 and beta 2 is faster and fixes some bugs.

There is still a nasty Gecko memory bug but Camino has it, too. :(

Mitthrawnuruodo said:
...
The only real issue I have is that it severely messes with my bookmarks, but as long as I'm careful in making (manual) backups of the bookmarks that doesn't bother me too much...
...
I've noticed that version 2 beta 2 does not create all of the extra bookmark files...so far.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
There are also some highly addicting features, like the Recently Closed Tab feature (now why didn't you, like Opera, implement this a long, long time ago?) and session restore.
There actually was a Firefox extension called TabBrowser Extensions or TabBrowser Plus or something like that, that was deprecated at some point, that had this feature several years ago. But it got kind of clogged up... after a while it would really slow the browser down for some reason. But it's a great feature.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,798
167
Bergen, Norway
mkrishnan said:
There actually was a Firefox extension called TabBrowser Extensions or TabBrowser Plus or something like that, that was deprecated at some point, that had this feature several years ago. But it got kind of clogged up... after a while it would really slow the browser down for some reason. But it's a great feature.
I knew there probably were something like that available, but I'm just too lazy to go hunting on the add-on pages... :eek:

The only add-on I have now (after substituting Sage for Google Reader) is AdBlock plus. That works across all versions of FF I've tried it on an keeps all those nasty flash ads off my Mac(s)... :)
 

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
1,836
0
Accoville, WV
Just downloaded it a little bit ago and I'm gonna try it as my default browser for a few days. Ever since I got my Mac mini, I'd been using Safari as my main browser, but Firefox does seem to load pages faster and I love the extensions. One of the coolest things about Beta 2 is that you can now have it save your tabs when you close the browser, so I now no longer need the Session Saver extension. Also, spell-checking seems to be working good. This feels a lot better than 1.5. It seems to run much better and the new features are great.
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,567
95
Has anyone had any crashings with the new Firefox 2? I am willing to try it I just remember the last version I had crashed every 5 minutes. That was a few weeks ago this is probably the new beta
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
viccles said:
Has anyone had any crashings with the new Firefox 2? I am willing to try it I just remember the last version I had crashed every 5 minutes. That was a few weeks ago this is probably the new beta
It's no worse than 1.5.0.6 for me.
 

Pili

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
212
0
Orlando/Miami, FL
Anybody else have experience with Firefox beta completely freezing up os x?

1.5 is too slow for me and im really not a fan of safari. FF beta seems better in just about every way except for the fact that when i run it at all and leave my mac on for an extended period of time (like overnight) os x freezes completely and i have to restart (even if ff is not running).

Im not 100% sure that FF is causing this but i used safari for about a week with no issues and the day i booted FF back up and ran beta 2, it froze that night.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,798
167
Bergen, Norway
viccles said:
Has anyone had any crashings with the new Firefox 2? I am willing to try it I just remember the last version I had crashed every 5 minutes. That was a few weeks ago this is probably the new beta
Not with the beta 2. The beat 1 was seriously effed up, and I actually went back to the alpha 3 after a couple of hours, but the beta 2 seems rock solid, and could probably count as a release candidate, IMO. :)

I have taken the precaution to back up my firefox profile, though, just in case... ;)
 

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
1,836
0
Accoville, WV
viccles said:
Has anyone had any crashings with the new Firefox 2? I am willing to try it I just remember the last version I had crashed every 5 minutes. That was a few weeks ago this is probably the new beta
Been using it since this morning with no crashes yet.
 

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
5,758
37
London
Really? Is it as fast as WebKit?

Also, my chief complaints with Firefox were....

-Speed

-Resources

-Pounds on cores

-Slow as h*ll to load

-Not Cocoa

Any more comments on this beta regarding any or all of the above issues? WebKit certainly has its issues.
 

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,434
24
Nottingham, UK
no problems at all

i've been using firebox 2 beta 2 for a week now, and i've not had any problems with it... seems stable for me
altho i'm posting from this safari :p lol!
 

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
1,836
0
Accoville, WV
netdog said:
Really? Is it as fast as WebKit?

Also, my chief complaints with Firefox were....

-Speed

-Resources

-Pounds on cores

-Slow as h*ll to load

-Not Cocoa

Any more comments on this beta regarding any or all of the above issues? WebKit certainly has its issues.
It seems to be faster to launch than Firefox 1.5 and the whole experience seems faster.

I have 3 tabs open right now and it's using 60MB RAM. Not bad at all.

It's still not Cocoa as far as I know, but 2.0 does look more Mac-like.

The only bug I've seen so far is that it wasn't showing the little music player on someone's MySpace page. You could click on the music player and it would appear in spots, but not completely show up. Not really a big deal to me.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Lollypop said:
I havnt used FF2b2 on the mac yet, but the windows version keeps in crashiing with PDF's..and most of my extensions arent supported yet... :mad:
That's probably Adobe's extension but you don't have to worry about that on Mac OS X since they never updated their .pdf viewer extension.

The strange thing for me is that on the first launch, it didn't accept Adblock but now they're working together. I haven't updated anything so it's as if the browser evolved.