Firefox 3.0.9 released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Apr 21, 2009.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

[​IMG]

if you dont have auto update on, do check for update manually.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Partial update failed. Other than that she's runnin' well.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Noticed this this morning. Caught me by surprise, but it runs great. Glad those bugs are fixed.

4. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The plan is to release 3.5 beta 4 late next week unless there are any major bugs found in the next few days.

6. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

wow thats good. do you have a link to planned changes?

7. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_3.5b4

3 unresolved p1 blocker, I expect it to be released next week, we probably will see candidate builds on ftp server this weekend.

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Do keyboard shortcuts work properly in this release?

9. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

what shortcuts are you referring to?

10. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

Do you think that firefox 4 will rival google chrome?

11. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

i would go deep in the discussion of this topic when google chrome becomes

available for all platform
    have decent amount of extensions
    reach global marketshare of 10%
    offers functions close to those of firefox's

Of course, firefox 4 will be at least 2 years away, chrome might achieve all of those in that time period! We will wait and see :)

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Command - shift - backspace for clear private data.

Command - C when copying addresses from the address bar in popup windows (like the MacRumors attachment window as an example).

13. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

I will get back to you on these later when I got to my mac, it works on my windows version so far.

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Cool, thanks.

One question:
    If I'm in a tab and I go to my history / bookmark menu, how do I get the site I click on to open in a new tab and not the current one? I've tried holding control, command, option etc. and I can't get it to work. Do you have to open a new tab first before you can pick history items or bookmarks without wiping out the current page?
    A couple more notes and minor glitches:

Command - shift - backspace works in the Mac, only if you have the main Window Chrome open and in focus.

And command - c will work in popups in so far as it will flash the menu item, but it won't put the text on the clipboard.

Just switched back the the Manage Attachments popup and now command - w won't even work! The file menu will flash but the window won't close (this behaviour is sporadic, it doesn't replicate consistently).

Edit: Found a way to replicate: Open a popup, tripe click on the URI to highlight it (for some reason once isn't enough even though this works in normal windows) Hit Command - W.

Also one small thing I noticed - why do the Clear Private Data and Download Windows both have a toggle toolbar buttons yet neither has a toolbar? It's not a huge issue to usability, but I did click it expecting to see a toolbar and one didn't appear.

Also another thing: If you open the history Library (History > Show All History) what purpose does the more button serve. Cause when I click it then it changes to less and when I click it again it changes back to more but nothing else seems to change. Am I missing something?

15. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

cmd+shift+delete works on my MB
    this (cmd+click) works with bookmark/history sidebar, but not menu item, I recall the bug report on this, this is a mac platform specific issue, I don't think its been fixed yet. With firefox getting more and more abndoning the idea of bookmark/history menu thing in favor of awesome bar, I highly doubt this will addressed in near future.
    on my mb it works on pop up window as well, yes, at least one firefox need to be in focus, otherwise, I dont see how can somebody operate on firefox without even make it focused?
    this is a incredibly interesting find! I guess the single window mode has been so pervasive that people are less likely to notice such a bug anymore! I will test on my windows version and file a bug report later.
    indeed,
    UI team should pay attention to this then, clear private data function has been drastically improved in upcoming 3.5, and allows specific clearing items from certain certain periods of time (past hr, past 2hr, [ast 4hr, everything). The UI glitch you mentioned are also fixed.
    Im not sure which button you are referring to, maybe a screenshot.

16. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

attached

Attached Files:

17. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

lots of good finding here, the more/less button only works for bookmarks, but not history items. It should not be there for history items,

I filed following bug reports, thanks for contributing.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=489687
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=489689
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=489690
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=489692

none of them are crucial, so I doubt they will be fixed in time for 3.5.

18. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Great work on getting those filed. The community needs people like you. Much appreciated and I look forward to seeing the progress in future releases.

I do try to like Firefox and I can see it improving, but on the Mac I'm always drawn back to Safari.

19. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

20. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Bah, it still has the issue where it does not think certain pages on my website are encrypted even though they are (and every other browser on the market agrees with me). I wish I knew what was causing the issue, it is giving me a headache.

21. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Sweet! I have been running and enjoying version 3.1b3.

22. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

Anybody having an errors installing add-ons? I cannot install any add ons.

23. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Try forcing HTTPS.

24. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

i recall such a problem reported by someone here at MR previously, said to be an addon caused problem, but i couldn't find the post right now..

25. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Bah... I really should read posts before I reply. Still it is 2:30am and I can't sleep so you'll have to forgive me :).

Edit:

That isn't really a fix as I would need to get everyone who visits my site using Firefox to do it. I need a fix either for my site directly or to find out what the cause is in Firefox so I can file a bug report.