Firefox 3.5.1 is Great!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ikos, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ikos macrumors regular

I was really not a fan of Firefox because it was running really slow and the scrolling was really jerky, so tonight I decided to trash it and reinstall it. So I install it again (3.5.1) start using it and it is working flawlessly. the speed is great and the scrolling is fine. I also found a great theme that I saw in a youtube video, its called Chromifox Basic and it makes it look like Google Chrome. ( except the tabs are not on top ) Im having a great time with it and am trying to research on some good addons. For all you Firefox users out there do you have any advice on some must have addons for this newbie?

thanks!

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=184480&stc=1&d=1248314816

Attached Files:

2. miiles macrumors regular

3. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

actually I think stumbleupon makes too much clutter.

4. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Adblock Plus, GreaseMonkey, GreaseFire, and Download Statusbar go on every FF install I touch, no matter the OS. For Macs, I also install Firefox PDF plugin for OSX.

Anything other extensions I install are just to make my own life easier. But those I even install on machines at work and have never had anyone complain about it.

5. rerelease macrumors regular

Two great visual details I have are Fission and Locationbar².

I also use both trackpad gestures and FireGestures to rid myself of the use of buttons completely.

Keyconfig to quickly hide the bookmarks toolbar. (Shift+Cmd+B, as in Safari)

NoScript for security and (slightly paranoid) reasons.

Stylish to remove clutter from websites.

Tabs Open Relative for simpler tab management.

Enter Selects to automatically select first result in the address bar.

6. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

Is there an addon like Glims(Safari) for Firefox?

7. rerelease macrumors regular

Glims is kinda like an all-in-one add on. Some of the features it has are those that Firefox has by default (such as keyword search from address bar), the rest are probably covered by numerous add-ons for Firefox. Is there any specific feature of Glims you're missing?

8. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Completely forgot about Fission. I use it on all my (personal) FF installs as it gives more information about page loading then the "Throber" does.

9. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

Actually you're right, the features are already included in Firefox. Sorry! Still getting familiar with it. Thanks!

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3.5.1 is a huge improvement. I'm trying to see if I can get used to using it all over again because Safari 4 is not snappier to me as most will report. It doesn't matter what machine I use it on either.

11. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

I know what you mean, for some reason Firefox just seems to be working better after the update. I'm really enjoying the ability to customize all facets of the browser. ( addons, themes etc...)

12. theJamie macrumors member

The security lapse they had before was crappy though. I actually lost files. I am thankful I back up all my file :-D. Maybe it was because I was on Windows? LOL

I still love Firefox regardless. And, it works great with Mac.

13. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

Do you really need Noscript if you're on a Mac?

14. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I love Firefox, and I usually switch between that and Safari 4. The thing that drives me nuts about Safari is how much RAM it eats up after a few days of use. 300-400 MB is usually the point where I restart it just to clean up, but it gets annoying having to do that every few days. Easily the biggest reason that keeps me using Safari is the Top Sites feature, specifically how it will put stars on the websites that have been updated recently.

I know Firefox has some add ons that will give you thumbnails of sites you visit, but none of them that I have found so far have been able to let me know if there are any recent updates. Does anyone know an add on that can do that, or conversely a way to get Safari to stop eating up so much memory?

15. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

I agree on both points, the thing I do really love about Safari is the Top Sites, I would like to see something similar on Firefox. About the ram usage, Safari uses twice as much. I did a test using six different tabs each with a YouTube video loaded, Safari was using 620mb of ram while Firefox 340mb.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But 3.6 is better :D

And I don't use add-on/extensions.

17. JayMan8081 macrumors regular

I agree that 3.5.1 is great. I enjoy using Firefox for the fact that I can have a similarly configured browser on multiple platforms. I can have the most of the same extensions installed on my Linux PC at work as I use on my home MacBook. I use the AdBlock, Download StatusBar, and GMarks extensions on every installation of FF.

18. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

3.6???

19. JayMan8081 macrumors regular

20. Aronnax macrumors regular

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Profiling_JavaScript_with_Shark
    It's now possible to build a copy of Firefox that allows you to start and stop Shark profiles from JavaScript code. With this customized build, you can more easily locate performance problems in JavaScript libraries, web pages, or in Firefox itself. Mozilla also provides Shark-enabled development builds for you to use.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/sharkoptimize.html

21. jon08 macrumors 65816

22. Aronnax macrumors regular

The next version :D

And they changed lately the road-map.
    New is that 3.6 will not have many new features and it will be released already this year. It will have (only) a faster JavaScript Engine and similar technical changes.

The 3.7 version is intended for the next year will have then (as usual) a lot of new stuff:
    More about 3.7: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Sprints

23. theWu macrumors newbie

24. Aronnax macrumors regular

Nothing :p Firefox is only superior :D