Firefox 3.6 released

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
release note http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6/releasenotes/

download http://www.mozilla.com/

whats new:
* Available in more than 70 languages - get your local version.
* Support for a new type of theme called Personas, which allow users to change Firefox's appearance with a single click.
* Protection from out-of-date plugins to keep users safer as they browse.
* Open, native video can now be displayed full screen and supports poster frames.
* Improved JavaScript performance, overall browser responsiveness, and startup time.
* The ability for web developers to indicate that scripts should run asynchronously to speed up page load times.
* Continued support for downloadable web fonts using the new WOFF font format.
* Support for new CSS attributes such as gradients, background sizing, and pointer events.
* Support for new DOM and HTML5 specifications including the Drag & Drop API and the File API, which allow for more interactive web pages.
* Changes to how third-party software can integrate with Firefox in order to prevent crashes.
whats new for developers https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Firefox_3.6_for_developers

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Thanks!

Is there an alert when you run Firefox, or do you have to use the Check for Updates sub-menu under Help?
I always have it running, but when I told it to check for updates it showed me the new version.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I'm assuming this is identical to 3.6 RC2, as there is no update available when searching.

lopoz

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
Ugh.. The personas look horrible on the Mac.. It seems the title bar can't be styled..

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is anyone else having problems with the History menu? Some sites, such as this one, are not going into the History menu for me.

Edit: It seems to be not adding anything internal, for example our intranet isn't appearing in there either.

Aronnax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Random question, but does anyone else think the toolbar looks a bit lighter on OS X with 3.6 than it did with 3.5? Or perhaps it's just my monitor playing tricks on me...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
This is a nice update. Firefox seems far ahead of Chrome on the Mac and it's generally more enjoyable than Safari. So I guess it will continue to be my main browser.

Forsaken

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
To be fair, most of the personas look awful no matter what platform you're on.
Exactly why I stick to a simple white-text on black one.

3.6 is much better than 3.5, I'll say. 3.6b5 was what diverted me from Opera.

Saturn1217

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
how is cpu usage?

how is cpu usage for 3.6 compared to 3.5?

I vastly prefer the user interface and addons of firefox but I noticed recently that cpu usage wise it always uses maybe twice as much as safari and so recently I've been switching over to safari for a lot of my browsing but I really miss firefox :(

So does firefox 3.6 have better performance in this respect (I really don't care how fast it renders webpages etc)