firefox 3 beta 4 released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Mar 10, 2008.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

to download http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
    release note http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0b4/releasenotes/

new features, please check the link in my signature

Beta 4 is much more improved (2x faster in javascript, significantly more responsive app, etc) over beta3 due partially to some work around that overcome the OSX's limitations. Which is documented in vlad' blog.

I strongly urge current beta testers update to beta 4. Firefox 2 users, please remember most of the extensions and themes are currently not compatible with firefox 3 beta 4.

firefox 2 users, be sure to check out this in-depth review http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/03/firefox-3-beta-4-review/ which contain a lot of things you might want to know

[​IMG]

The robot in beta 2, flying on beta 3, and now protecting us in beta 4!

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

3. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Hey... we finally have an 'English (British)' version available! I'm finally impressed.. I'm sure that wasn't there before I would have noticed.

Perhaps I'll finally see the correct spelling of 'Favourites'!! :D;)

EDIT: .. ok so it's 'Bookmarks' in Firefox, but oh well.... looking nice!

4. crayonshin macrumors member

middle click to open bookmark in a new tab?

Hello Mac Rumors faithful, first post here!:)

I have been trying every beta of Firefox hoping for a fix to a seemingly simple problem. I want to be able to open a bookmark in a new tab by middle-clicking on it. This is the default behavior for Firefox in Windows as well as Safari on the Mac. Therefore, I can't understand why it could not work on the Mac version of Firefox. The Mozilla bug reports page has various mentions of this bug going back several years yet it hasn't been fixed yet.

I've also tried various tab-related extensions but none of them really do this correctly. They can enable it for a regular click but I don't want that. I only want a middle-click to open a new tab and a regular click to open in the current tab.

Anybody have any idea how to get this to work or at least an explanation of why it doesn't work?:confused:

Thank you!

5. gothamm macrumors 6502a

thats weird. are you talking about the bookmarks toolbar? middle clicking it opens it up in a new page for me no problem.

6. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

no, he was probably talking about Bookmarks Menu, the app menus are offered by OSX, there is really not much firefox can do about it.

7. crayonshin macrumors member

yeah, I meant from the bookmarks menu. it works fine from the toolbar.

clevin, since the app menus are offered by OSX and this feature works fine in safari, is there really no way the mozilla team could get it to work? by just replicating however it is safari gets it to work? i really have no clue, it just seems that it should be possible for firefox since safari can do it.

8. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

yes indeed, I will do some dig tomorrow and report back..:)

9. snakedoctor macrumors member

can you create a new folder, when adding a new bookmark????? this has been a bug in FF3, is it fixed yet?

10. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

not yet, but this is a p1 bug, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=394252 , should be fixed before beta5 (03/18)

11. GNice macrumors 6502

This version rocks...each release just gets better and better. Of course it's supposed to work that way. :)

I love Firefox 3! No other browser comes close for me...

12. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

It rocks! I'm using it right now... wouldn't it be awesome if Apple and Mozilla teamed up, and made an open source browser?

anyways.... the acid3 test came out. it doesn't due to shabby... ESPECIALLY when you compare it to Internet Explorer.... the browser that... uhg i dun even know how to explain the horribleness of the stuff Microsoft makes.

13. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Webkit is open source, and apple contributes heavily to its development!

and actually the latest webkit build does better rendering the ACID3 test than FF3 does.

14. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

firefox 3 will not pass acid3 test, probably will come to 70/100. Acid3 released at very late stage of firefox 3's development, there will be massive delay and regression if acid 3 were to be put on priority list before firefox 3.

acid3 only test part of web standard anyway, firefox didn't pass acid 2, but have the highest score to day among all released browsers. lol

btw. by no means Im saying acid 3 is not important, acid tests are a very important part of the future of the web, after release of firefox 3, acid3 sure will be put on priority list of gecko 2.0/firefox 4.0

Yes, Webkit nightly scored 90/100 at current stage on acid3 test.

15. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

unfortunately, I didn't find any solutions for this. Lets wait and see when TMP updated.

16. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Looks like an awesome browser. Where can I find the roadmap for FF? Any idea when FF will go RC1? Final?

17. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

code freezing for beta 5 will be on Mar 18. Beta 5 will probably be out on Mar 31st~Apr 2nd.

Give another week or two, final should be out if RC goes smoothly.

18. Jelite macrumors 6502a

can i install this seperate from ff2?, i know i did it on pc but can't remember how.

19. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

you can either

1. drag firefox 3 to a different location than firefox 2

or

2. change name of firefox 2 from "firefox" to "firefox 2" then drag firefox 3 to same folder (presumably application folder)

Firefox 3 and 2 will be using the same profile (its relatively difficult to keep two versions of firefox using different profiles in OSX as you can easily do in windows or linux) , so whenever you switch between them, first start will check the compatibility of extensions and themes (many are not compatible with firefox 3 yet). Other than that, you should be fine.

20. Jelite macrumors 6502a

21. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

You can follow these instructions to get profile manager pop up when you start Firefox

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles#Mac

Create a fresh profile to be used with FF3 beta X and then you can play around with your extensions and themes...

I have both FF2 and FF3b4 using different profiles and so far so good. FF3 rocks!

Cheers!!

22. rtn5000 macrumors newbie

I am completely blown away by FF3 beta 4. This is amazing progress and blows away the current beta of Safari 3.1. Wow is all I can say....why did Apple choose Webkit over Gecko again?

23. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

it is still improving, can't wait for beta 5 and final.

Mozilla is updating their compiling machine from Tiger with xcode 2 to leopard with xcode 3. I have seen obvious improvement from all aspect.

24. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the heads up.

It's a good looking browser. It might supplant Camino as my #2 (Safari is #1). I wish it highlighted the active window a bit better but overall it looks and feel pretty decent.

25. stlwx21 macrumors member

how do you keep your bookmarks from autofilling? this is my one main gripe with firefox.

i remember at one point i had it that way. but i am not sure what i did.

i hate autofilling bookmarks in the URL bar.