Firefox 55 Browser Gains Screenshot Utility, WebVR, and New Performance Features

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mozilla released Firefox 55 for macOS on Wednesday, touting new performance settings, faster speeds, several new features including a screenshot utility, and the addition of WebVR support.

Firefox 55's major front end feature is Firefox Screenshots, accessed via a new screenshots icon on the toolbar. The feature allows users to capture a region of a web page by clicking and dragging a selection manually, or allowing Screenshots to capture one for them simply by hovering over the page element.

It's also possible to capture a full page view without scrolling, and selections can be saved to an online Screenshots library, shared, and downloaded. Mozilla says Firefox Screenshots will be a gradual rollout so not everyone will see it immediately.

Meanwhile, WebVR is the big platform feature shipping in Firefox 55 that allows users with an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift to experience VR content on the web. Although the feature is currently only available to Windows users, there's good reason to believe that macOS support is on Mozilla's roadmap, given that Apple developers have recently joined the WebVR open community initiative.

In addition to the above, Firefox 55 promises users a dramatic performance improvement in session restores with large numbers of tabs, an option to fine-tune browser performance with e10s multi-settings, a new click-to-activate Flash Player, search suggestions in the Awesomebar enabled by default, and a modernized update system.

Firefox 55 is a free download for macOS and can be directly from the Mozilla website.

Article Link: Firefox 55 Browser Gains Screenshot Utility, WebVR, and New Performance Features

2. Frign macrumors member

Just wait for Firefox 57. It will blow you away! I couldn't believe it myself when I compiled it from the Mozilla beta-repo, but it definitely is faster than Chromium 60.

The only downside is that they drop support for non-WebExtension extensions in 57 going up to 60, but it's a drastic step that will help streamline extension development across the board.

3. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

I'm assuming there's a way a web site publisher can disable the screenshot feature.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

At first I thought it's sarcasm, then I realised your serious, it probably still lags behind Safari, it's the browser I use 99.99% of the time, sometimes I 'need' Chrome for reasons, but as little as possible, haven't opened FF in a while, used to be a good browser looooonnnnnggggg ago.

5. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Nice to see Mozilla still moving Firefox along. I use it and Safari the most. The screenshot thing sounds like a nice feature, but screenshooting in OS X and Windows is already really easy...not sure how much value it adds, but whatever.

Just curious, would such a capability really do anything? Couldn't the user just screenshot it from the OS then?

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

It was out on Tuesday morning, update for correction. I can only imagine where Firefox would be if they had not taken away so many staff for the phone os project.

7. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

I remember when Firefox was a mere baby; versions 1 and 2. :p

55 makes it sound old. :oops:

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

The new nightly icon is nice. Jonny Ive would love it. 0zPXpdIS_400x400.jpg

9. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

I just wanted to post that new icon too. Loving it! :)

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 3.03.04 PM.png

10. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

I am using Firefox since the beginning. Before that, I used his grandaddy, Netscape Navigator and sometimes the old Mozilla.

11. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

Still on 54.0.1 as the latest here in Germany

12. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Why? If you don't want people to see content, a website is probably not the best option for you. This doesn't do anything a user can't already do in most OSes except automatically grab the full page (already possible with a bit more effort from the user) and optionally save to the cloud. The latter is a problem for a lot of users, e.g., a hospital or school may not want screenshots of protected information saved to cloud storage--but that is where most decisions with a browser should be made: the user. This feature can be disabled on the user side in mozilla.cfg, either locked as disabled for all users or set as a certain default for new user profiles.

Speaking of icons, MacRumors is still using the icon from four years ago. Mozilla changed the Firefox icon back in 2013, and going back the last 13 years, it's currently about tied for longest-running Firefox icon. Get your stuff together, MR. :)

13. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I wonder, does that screw up how NoScript works?

14. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Sent them a PM.

15. coolfactor macrumors 68040

That's not nice at all. It's like they gave some finger paints to a baby. Sorry to rain on your party, but I fail to see any logic to that icon's colours.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    They must have a gradual roll-out of the new version. I've currently got 52.x, and it says it's up-to-date every time I check.

16. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Please tell me the screenshot feature can also be used without having to upload it?

17. nutmac macrumors 68040

Strange that auto update isn't triggering an update on my end (running 54). I downloaded and installed 55 manually and I get spinning beachball left and right. Perhaps that's why auto update isn't trigger the update?

18. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

The colours are for the nightly release, they'll be normal for the beta and final.

Also, are you on the ESR release? That would explain things. Version 55 is out now.

19. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I hope so, I haven't tested this.

20. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Firefox 57's Servo engine is built with Rust and makes use of parallelism. Safari uses Webkit, Chrome/Chromium uses a recent fork of Webkit called Blink. Chrome and Safari get their performance by being very resource hungry applications by design. Servo should be quicker and use far fewer resources than all competitors today.

21. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I just tested a few web sites on FF 57, it's fast but still not as fast as Safari, this was a quick test without timing so I could be biased.;)

22. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

It's in alpha. Most of the code isn't complete, not optimised, and contains a lot of debug symbols which slows it down an awful lot more.

23. MacSince1985 macrumors regular

There were a few sites in the past that blocked screenshots. That required installing special plugins to view those sites' content. Not user-friendly at all.

Anything posted on a website can be "stolen" by the user. Most attempts by developers to prevent theft make it less convenient for the legit user.

24. harriska2 macrumors regular

harriska2

I wish FF for pc had an extension to sync my icloud/safari bookmarks :(

25. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Pretty good release, browsing hasn't been this fast in ages, but is has some bugs.