Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mozilla has announced the public release of Firefox 91, featuring an enhanced version of its Total Cookie Protection for individual websites.

mozilla-firefox-banner-fixed.jpg

When you browse the web on your devices, websites will often leave cookies on your system so that they can remember you and what your preferences are.

Some cookies are genuinely useful, as they allow sites to save your personal information (such as your login credentials) so that you don't have to keep entering it every time you visit. However, for the same reason, cookies can pose a privacy risk because of the information they hold about you.

firefox-total-cookie-protection.jpg

To combat this, Total Cookie Protection makes sure websites can't track users across websites by partitioning data storage into one cookie jar per website.

With Enhanced Cookie Clearing, when a user empties a cookie jar for an individual website, the entire jar is emptied, including any tracking data set embedded from another website, such as Facebook.

Firefox no longer shows individual domains that store data. Instead, it lists a cookie jar for each website visited, making it easier to identify and remove all data a website has stored locally, while also removing any leftover data from third parties embedded in that site.

manage-cookies-and-site-data.jpg

For Enhanced Cookie Clearing to work, Strict Tracking Protection (Settings -> Privacy & Security) needs to be enabled. Enhanced Cookie Clearing will then be used when using "Clear cookies and site data" in the identity panel (the lock icon) or in the Firefox preferences.

In addition, there's a new "Forget About This Site" option in the History menu that deletes a site from history along with any cookies and caches for it.

Firefox 91 is available now from the Mozilla website.

Article Link: Firefox 91 Update Strengthens Online Privacy With Enhanced Cookie Protection

Last edited:

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
The new (v91) Firefox doesn't work on my 7,1 w/BS 11.5.1!

All the colors have gone either to another color, or gone away completely. So far there doesn't seem to be any way to get them back...

I've had to switch to Safari to see the web sites as they formerly were presented in Firefox.

I've tried turning off Proton, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

The change was sudden and complete when I updated. Now it won't let me downgrade without starting over with a new user ID.

Sigh,

Tom

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
The new (v91) Firefox doesn't work on my 7,1 w/BS 11.5.1!

All the colors have gone either to another color, or gone away completely. So far there doesn't seem to be any way to get them back...

I've had to switch to Safari to see the web sites as they formerly were presented in Firefox.

I've tried turning off Proton, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

The change was sudden and complete when I updated. Now it won't let me downgrade without starting over with a new user ID.

Sigh,

Tom
Maybe try to change the color management settings in Firefox.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Bird,

Thank you!

I used Settings -> General -> Colors and changed the "override ... above" to Never and the problems went away.

In their wisdom Mozilla must have changed their default away from "Never"

Well that only cost me an hour...

Thanks a lot, Firefox!

Tom

Reactions: MacBird

IllinoisCorn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2021
Two finger tap on my MacBook Pro's Trackpad works fine, has done for as long as I can remember.
I stand corrected. I just tried it and it worked. This was not working for me a year ago, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will give it a shot.

Can anyone tell me if these three extensions cause issues/conflicts with Firefox's own protections? Ublock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger?

These are my go to's on all non-Apple browsers.

Reactions: Unsupported

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
It’s sad to see Firefox’s adoption numbers so low these past few years, as I think they are one of the best browsers out there at the moment. They have made huge strides in personal privacy and performance and remain committed to that effort. Safari and Firefox are the only 2 browsers I use now. Thumbs up to Mozilla.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Glad to see that History, Bookmarks, and everything else is now in Dark Mode... 😎
Agreed. Now they just need to fix the truncated pop-up menu heritage from other operating systems which I don't like – it's not like that in Chromium based browsers and Safari.

Attaching examples from https://www.wikipedia.org when opening the language selecting menu there next to the search field.

Firefox:
Firefox.png

Chrome and Safari:
Chrome and Safari.png

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Can anyone tell me if these three extensions cause issues/conflicts with Firefox's own protections? Ublock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger?

These are my go to's on all non-Apple browsers.

HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger haven't caused me any problems, but I'm not sure that HTTPS Everywhere is even necessary now so I've disabled it to see if I can note a difference.

See: https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2...roduces-https-by-default-in-private-browsing/

I don't use Ublock Origin so I can't say.

Reactions: Borin

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Agreed. Now they just need to fix the truncated pop-up menu heritage from other operating systems which I don't like – it's not like that in Chromium based browsers and Safari.

I've also just noticed that spellchecking now works. It was something I missed previously, or maybe I didn't have it checked in Settings -> General -> Language?

thinkthunk

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2021
I think the post isn't as clear as it could be on the main benefit of Total Cookie Protection.

Usually, if you visit a website "A" it may include some stuff from tracking or social media domain "C". "C" knows you are visiting "A" and can set a cookie.

When you visit website "B" it may also include stuff from site "C". When "C" asks for its cookie, it gets the same one that it set when you visited site "A". Therefore "C" links your activity on sites "A" and "B".

With Total Cookie Protection, I understand that there are separate cookie jars for each site you visit ("A" and "B"). So the cookie that "C" sets when you visit site "A" stays completely separate from the cookie "C" sees when you visit site "B". This maintains your privacy without having to repeatedly clear cookies (which may log you out or clear your settings).

makitango

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
How is this feature different from "Prevent cross-site cookies" feature that's been in browsers (incl Safari) forever? 🤔
They have been isolating cookies in sandboxes on a per-website level. They now also moved to delete stuff that may overlap. As in, if you accepted facebook cookies on a news site and you clear its cookies, you also delete all facebook cookies of other websites that share its type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.