Firefox For iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 215512, Sep 7, 2008.

1. 215512 Guest

Hello Everyone,
    I was looking online and could not find an answer. Does anyone know if Mozilla Firefox will be released for the iPhone or iPod Touch? It's not that I don't like Mobile Safari, but I prefer Firefox much better.

-superhamster

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't think so, there's no plug in support for apps right now, so I can't think of a reason for having firefox on an iPhone anyway.

In fact if you use google there's a blog post or something by the firefox team that explicitly states they have no ambition to make firefox for the iPhone right now.

3. 215512 thread starter Guest

:(

That's unfortunate. Firefox is a great browser with more privacy features than Safari will ever have and you can block ads with AdBlock Plus.

-superhamster

4. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I've been really hoping for this too.
    I wish that websites had an additional install link so we can install programs on our Touch/iPod we normally would our computer.
    Like... Firefox, Opera, Torrent programs, IM programs like AIM and MSN (the Apps aren't as great as I'd like them to be), Microsoft Word, etc.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Block ads? I know several web sites that would have very little to nothing on them if all the ads were blocked.

No, Safari on the Touch can't block ads.

4D

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Too bad. I'm looking at a Touch come Tuesday. I love SafariBock on my Macbook. I also use PithHelmet for the really bad sites (lots of ads, that is). It is peace and quiet that is unbelievable. You have to experience it for yourself. ;)

8. 215512 thread starter Guest

Don't Care

Quite frankly I do not care about the sites and how they make their revenue, as long as the ads are blocked!

-superhamster

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... you do understand that making this happen is somewhat more of an endeavor than "an additional install link" added to the website, right?

Anyway...

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/16-08/ff_lilly

The official "No" from Mozilla regarding Firefox on the iPhone/iPod touch platform.

10. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Yup, I feel the same way. I hate any sort of banner ad (or Google ad), and will make sure it gets blocked. I feel it gives me consumer choice, of not viewing ads if I don't wish to. I'm quite disappointed that ad-blocking does not exist on the Touch.

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Thanks for that link... I hadn't seen an official answer from Mozilla about it one way or the other (I had heard/read they were working on a mobile version of FF at some point, but what platforms they were targeting wasn't clear).

I thought this was funny, though:
    There's nothing stopping someone else porting FF to the iPhone, though. The source is all there and it's just a matter of finding someone who wants to do it, since the Mozilla Foundation doesn't. All that said, I'm hoping one of the big things Apple announces this year is Mobile Safari 2. I'm not sure what they could add at this point besides improved stability, but Safari is probably my most used app on my touch, so any enhancements are welcome. Maybe an offline mode, Google Gears integration, Flash support...

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I agree, flash support is one of the main things they could add in the 2.1 upgrade tomorrow.

13. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Flash support is one of the main things needed. But if you think of how good Flash is on OS X, it's hard to be excited about Flash on the Touch. Overheating, low frame rate, and huge power consumption combined with a Touch really don't sound like a winner.

14. 215512 thread starter Guest

Agreed

Beric, I couldn't agree with you more. Consumers should have a choice and I find that these crazy banner ads are distracting, annoying and privacy invading. I hope Apple gets smart and develops something like AdBlock and CustomizeGoogle.

-superhamster

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

yeah, I'm sure Google would love it if Apple started developing advertisement blockers, especially after all the deals they've struck. :rolleyes:

16. 215512 thread starter Guest

Yeah..... I bet they wouldn't. BUT, as an end consumer, ask if I care.

-superhamster

17. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well chances are the Touch's battery is going to be updated tomorrow.
    And you may be right, but maybe they will have an settings thing where we can turn the flash on and off.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

In the almost year ive had my ipod, i have never had one ad pop up at me (im assuming your talking about popups) otherwise with the zoom to fit screen feature you dont really notice anything else on the screen.

19. 215512 thread starter Guest

Banner Ads

No, I am talking about banner ads. Bottom line, all ads are annoying and with Firefox and AdBlock plus I am in heaven!

-superhamster

20. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

We are NOT talking about pop-ups. We are talking about banner ads. I currently see absolutely no ads anywhere, banner ads included, on my Macbook in Safari, due to SafariBlock and PithHelmet. I want the same for the Touch.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Flash, deffinatly not happening, it would have been done now for sure.

mayb when anything using flash isnt so badly implemented, apple will consider it worthy, otherwise that platform apple bought up last year is fine.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

my mistake, but again, when zoomed in on an article or w/e you dont notice any ads anyway.

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well lets start charging for every site, that better?

24. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

The advanced ad blockers I use actually reformat each web page, such that it appears like there never were any ads in the first place. Now THAT is worth it. I cannot stand using my Dad's iMac, because of the ads.

25. 215512 thread starter Guest

No. No.

No. No. I don't think that's a good idea. However, that's not really a legitimate concern as they will always be somebody who does not use Firefox.

Oh, I just noticed I made it to the rank of Regular. I should put an R on my jacket, just like police officers have chevrons to indicate their rank. For the record, I have a big ego! I'm just being honest.

-superhamster