Firefox or Safari

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eclipse, Jun 19, 2007.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

OK, here's my problem.

I'm a junior designer / assistant and I seem to have to use Firefox AND Safari for different purposes.

Firefox is compatible with Blogger... Safari isn't. Safari doesn't seem to see Blogger's HTLM editor, "Compose" and you are left in their code window. I'm loving not having to watch the code at all when I use Firefox... but the problem is I have to use Firefox! Firefox see's "Compose", Safari doesn't.

Now here's the thing about Firefox that bugs me to death... I can't just drop and drag images to the desktop! As a junior designer, I have to do image searching... and Firefox doesn't let me drop and drag. It's driving me nuts.

Can anyone fix one application or the other so I can just use one browser instead of 2?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try Camino, I haven't done that specific thing, but its a lot more mac-ish than FF, but still highly compatible :)

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Firefox 2.0.0.4 drags and drop to the desktop fine for me.

If you're a web designer, you should have several browsers open simultaneously anyway.

I use safari as my primary browser. Yes, some sites/features don't work and I would then need Firefox. Not a biggie though, seriously. Just Apple/Cmd + Tab.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The edit-in-place feature you're complaining about has been fixed in the latest nightlies of Safari (yes, that definitely includes the Safari 3 Beta).

I don't know if Blogger takes advantage of the improvements (I know Tumblr doesn't, but Google's apps do), but it's worth a look.

And, as a web designer, you should have no problem looking at the code :) In fact, writing the code yourself should give you the warm-fuzzies knowing your markup is semantically correct ;) :D

5. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

And Camino is the winner.

It just works.

Excellent.

The only thing is that the icon thingies for individual bookmarks do not seem to stay, but hey? That's petty and carping.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Didn't we just have a big poll on this? Is yet another thread really necessary?

7. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well we have one here, and a somewhat more recent one here. Searching for "browser" or "safari" brings up lots and lots and lots of results.

9. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Well, i just read through both of those threads and they did not deal with the specific issues I was having with either Safari or Firefox, they mainly voted.

Although it was interesting to see what other people were using and why... no one mentioned Blogger incompatibility or Firefox drop and drag issues.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

11. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Interesting.

Should I download each day?
    Will it download with all my bookmarks preconfigured, or do I have to import them each day? (That would be a pain).

And one thing I liked about Camino was that, as I tend to use a lot of folders in my bookmark bar for all sorts of different subjects, it had 2 lines of bookmark folders. Any way to make the extra >> folders wrap around in Safari Webkit?

Interesting.... so if I report anything with this, I'm helping Safari develop?

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

When you run WebKit the system thinks it's Safari. Any settings you had in Safari will be there as if nothing happened. In fact you can't run Safari and WebKit at the same time. Technically they're both Safari.

13. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Does it automatically self-update?

As in, do I have to download a nightly each time and install it each time, or is there a one-button click to get the latest?

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

WebKit is always a nightly download. There is no auto-update. Safari auto-updates in Software Update each time a new version of Safari is released, which is nowhere near as frequently as WebKit.

You don't *have* to keep downloading it every night.

15. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Thanks for all your help.
    I think I like it.
    It has solved the Blogger thing.

16. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

For automating the WebKit nightly download, you could always use NightShift. It will automatically download the latest nightly build on a schedule for you.

17. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

i tried Nightshade thanks but it seemed buggy.
    Said it had apple-scripting problems or something.
    It ticked off completing "Download latest nightly" and then go stuck just before the last button, "Mount Disk Image".

18. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yeah, I haven't used it in quite a while, and when I did use it, it worked about 90% of the time. If you care enough about it, you could always e-mail the developer and let him know, but I don't know how actively he's developing NightShift anymore.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

A bit OT, but I have to recommend the AWESOME Inquisitor to any Safari user :)

20. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

@Eclipse, It seems like you have it all solved, but what version of firefox where you using? As already posted 2.0.0.4 does everything you wanted.

Side note:I like how everyone's first answer to everyone's question is download six other programs. As if there weren't enough already installed.:rolleyes:

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well technically WebKit is just a newer version of Safari.

22. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

No. Webkit is the same current Safari with a newer version of the rendering engine.

I don't see why you don't just use the Safari 3.0 beta. It has a much more recent version of Webkit that should be supported by Blogger, etc.

23. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If you install Safari 3, that still has an older version of WebKit. What we were assuming here is that this person already installed Safari 3, and now needs the newer WebKit updates.

This person said his problems were solved, did he not?

24. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Yes, the problems were solved, BUT Safari 3.0 Beta is running a MUCH newer version of Webkit than Safari 2.x is. And why are we assuming they already installed the beta? I don't remember reading the poster say they tried it.

25. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yes, Safari3's WebKit is newer than Safari2's WebKit, HOWEVER, the nightly builds of WebKit (available here) are newer than the Safar3 beta's WebKit. That's the point he was making.

....it occurs to me that I might be misreading your post, and if I am, then I'm sorry :)