Firefox Quantum is out - could be great for TFF users

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Tried putting @eyoungren's prefs.js in there, still no progress. I think I'll just stay with FF55 until it becomes too old to use. I'm happy with it, runs every website I need at a reasonable speed.
I never got 57 on any of my Mountain Lion machines either. I've got them all on 56.0.2 which runs quite nicely.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
My FF profile was originally from Waterfox. I wonder if that affects anything...
I'll getting rid of all Firefox data and opening Waterfox then.
[doublepost=1512866588][/doublepost]
I never got 57 on any of my Mountain Lion machines either. I've got them all on 56.0.2 which runs quite nicely.
If I don't get 57 to work in the next 5 minutes I'll just go with 56.0.2
[doublepost=1512866675][/doublepost]I give up. 56.0.2 it is. Assuming I can get that to work.
[doublepost=1512867030][/doublepost]Got 56.0.2 working, I'll just stay on this for now. But thanks for all your help @swamprock!

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
Type it in the address bar of Firefox. Hit return, then search for those two settings.
The setting no longer appears to work for Firefox 58. I get nothing but crashed tabs.

EDIT: I take it back. Firefox 58 resets browser.tabs.remote.autostart to true. Just set this to false and it works again.

Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
Slightly off topic, but which was the best browser for Snow Leopard? I reinstalled the old cat on my MacBook Unibody '08 and it absolutely flies. I can also use my registered copy of CoolBook, which allows me to throttle and undervolt the CPU for less heat and improved battery life.

For anyone interested (e.g @LightBulbFun ) CoolBook can also override the hard throttle imposed on the MacBooks when the battery is removed, so you can run a battery-less 'book at full speed.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
Reactions: wicknix

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
So out of the blue I was able to get FireFox 58.0.2 running on a 2007 MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion. Thinking something may have changed between 57 and 58 I went and tried to get it working on my other Mountain Lion machines. No luck. Every last one of them crashes at startup. So the question is, what is making FF Quantum work on SOME machines and crash upon startup for others? The ONLY difference between the one system that has FF 58 working and the ones that don't is the graphics card. Any reason to think that could actually be the problem? GMA950 vs Radeon X1600?

EDIT: Just remembered the C2D upgraded early 2006 iMac also has a Radeon X1600, so I tried the FF 58 install on it as well. Same with the MBP, changed the minimum system version and it starts up and works great. I think you might be right eyoungren, it may be looking for hardware accelerated graphics that simply doesn't work with the GMA 950. I'll try your suggestion and see if I can't get this working on a Mac Mini.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
So out of the blue I was able to get FireFox 58.0.2 running on a 2007 MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion. Thinking something may have changed between 57 and 58 I went and tried to get it working on my other Mountain Lion machines. No luck. Every last one of them crashes at startup. So the question is, what is making FF Quantum work on SOME machines and crash upon startup for others? The ONLY difference between the one system that has FF 58 working and the ones that don't is the graphics card. Any reason to think that could actually be the problem? GMA950 vs Radeon X1600?
My guess here would be that the default in Firefox for the graphics card is set to Hardware Acceleration.

Something you could try is turning that off in the preferences on the machine that app is working on and then copying that prefs file to the profile locations for FF on the other Macs. Then try and start FireFox on those Macs.

No idea if this would work. Just a shot in the dark.

swamprock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
My guess here would be that the default in Firefox for the graphics card is set to Hardware Acceleration.

Something you could try is turning that off in the preferences on the machine that app is working on and then copying that prefs file to the profile locations for FF on the other Macs. Then try and start FireFox on those Macs.

No idea if this would work. Just a shot in the dark.
This might explain why Henry couldn’t get it to work on his MacBook.

I’ll give this a try later today to see if it works. I’ve got a MacBook 2,1 running Lion that can run Waterfox, but not a modded FF...

Reactions: eyoungren

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Editing plist and setting that tab setting to false still works for me on 10.8.5 via MLPF. Posting from FF59.0b14 right now. Haven't checked if there is anything newer than that yet however.

Cheers