Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
There is a proxy called PiHole I'll try as soon as possible.
But: I'll never get tired of telling everyone that even the ressource hungry TFF runs quite fast and 'not so ressource hungry' when properly customized!
After loading the interface the CPU jumps high only occasionally when loading a site (for some seconds) or when scrolling very fast. My Raspi feels much slower despite having a quad core

EDIT: a quick look in my signature reveals I have no G5 but only G4s - they are very capable if you know what to expect from them and how to properly use them

GoopnyPants

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
Italy
I never had any luck getting 56 to work on Mountain Lion. Currently running 55.0.4 on my ML systems. Every version of 56 was nothing but crashed tabs. Did you do anything special to make it work?
I get firefox 56 to work in Lion by simply set the "browser.tabs.remote.autostart" and "browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2" parameters to false and then restart firefox. But this will disable the multi-process.
Firefox.jpg

Reactions: owbp and redheeler

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I get firefox 56 to work in Lion by simply set the "browser.tabs.remote.autostart" and "browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2" parameters to false and then restart firefox. But this will disable the multi-process.
View attachment 736153
Thank you for this, just tried in version 57 and it works!
FF57-10.8.5.png
It does feel faster compared to the previous versions. I may even switch back to it from Seamonkey.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Thank you for this, just tried in version 57 and it works!
View attachment 736221
It does feel faster compared to the previous versions. I may even switch back to it from Seamonkey.

Yep... works great. To those who want to try this, you have to download Firefox 57 first, then drag FF to the desktop, show package contents, open info.plist, find the minimum version key and change it from 10.9.0 to 10.8.5 (or whatever you're running), save, close, then open and go into about:config to change browser.tabs.remote.autostart and browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 to false. Restart the browser and it should work.

Auto updates will not work, so minor version updates will also have to be downloaded and enabled in this manner.

Thanks to all who figured this out.

Reactions: z970

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yep... works great. To those who want to try this, you have to download Firefox 57 first, then drag FF to the desktop, show package contents, open info.plist, find the minimum version key and change it from 10.9.0 to 10.8.5 (or whatever you're running), save, close, then open and go into about:config to change browser.tabs.remote.autostart and browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 to false. Restart the browser and it should work.

Auto updates will not work, so minor version updates will also have to be downloaded and enabled in this manner.

I've got a post detailing this here in the Mountain Lion sub-forum. Should edit it with @GoopnyPants's info above for Firefox 57 and later.
I don't suppose 57 on ML fixes YouTube playback does it?
YouTube playback works for me in both Firefox 57 and they latest version of Seamonkey. Still experiencing the bug where the audio periodically cuts out for a split second, though, and that degrades the audio quality somewhat - so I usually go for other solutions such as Kodi when playing back YouTube on the '06 iMac (also for performance reasons).

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
But if you are willing to sacrifice a small amount of speed for easy customization then it's T4Fx.

Not to mention stability. TFF has WebKit nailed in that region.
[doublepost=1511228956][/doublepost]
If it gets to the point my Quad cannot handle it then probably all my web browsing will be shifted to my MBP.

And that, good sir of these forums, will set a new world record for longest primary use of a G5.
[doublepost=1511229260][/doublepost]

I don't suppose that would work in Snow Leopard? Perhaps with 52 ESR?

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan

Where can I find "about.config"? Can't find the file anywhere.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
With the new Firefox I finally ditched Chrome. I'm running it on all my Windows laptops and my Mac Mini. I like it. It's great on my Surface that only has 4GB of RAM.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Type it in the address bar of Firefox. Hit return, then search for those two settings.
oh ok. i'll try it
It's about:config

Not as you had it, about.config
even if I had the name right, I wouldn't of found it as I was searching the FF package contents
[doublepost=1512863270][/doublepost]

Hm, I changed Info.plist but it refuses to open on ML. Also ran that Terminal command on it.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
oh ok. i'll try it

even if I had the name right, I wouldn't of found it as I was searching the FF package contents
[doublepost=1512863270][/doublepost]
Hm, I changed Info.plist but it refuses to open on ML. Also ran that Terminal command on it.

Weird. It should at least open once Info.plist is changed. I'd double-check to make sure you saved it when you changed 10.9.0 to 10.8.5. Maybe try a reboot...?

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Also tried SeaMonkey but performance was terrible compared to Firefox 55 (which I'm using now).
[doublepost=1512864160][/doublepost]
Weird. It should at least open once Info.plist is changed. I'd double-check to make sure you saved it when you changed 10.9.0 to 10.8.5. Maybe try a reboot...?
I triple-checked already. I'll try a reboot.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Also tried SeaMonkey but performance was terrible compared to Firefox 55 (which I'm using now).
[doublepost=1512864160][/doublepost]
I triple-checked already. I'll try a reboot.

Are you running 10.8.5? If not, change Info.plist to the OS version that you're running...

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Are you running 10.8.5? If not, change Info.plist to the OS version that you're running...
Yes, I'm running 10.8.5. I changed Info.plist to 10.8.5, and after that didn't work, I tried 10.8.0 just for the heck of it. Still isn't working.

May have noticed a problem. In @redheeler's screenshot he's running 57.0, but I'm trying this with 57.0.2. Maybe Mozilla finally ended this...? I'll try with an earlier version.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Yes, I'm running 10.8.5. I changed Info.plist to 10.8.5, and after that didn't work, I tried 10.8.0 just for the heck of it. Still isn't working.

May have noticed a problem. In @redheeler's screenshot he's running 57.0, but I'm trying this with 57.0.2. Maybe Mozilla finally ended this...? I'll try with an earlier version.

Could be. I'm still running 57.0.1...

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Still isn't working :(. I'll try it with 57.0.1, repeating all steps. If that doesn't work I'll just stay on FF 55 where I'm happy atm.
[doublepost=1512865697][/doublepost]
OK, lets make sure I'm getting everything here. I've confirmed that I'm running 10.8.5 on a Core 2 Duo.

-Download Firefox 57.0.1, copy to Applications
- Change Info.plist to say 10.8.5 instead of 10.9.0
- Run "xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine" on it

Am I missing an obvious step?

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Weird. I just tested this on 57.0.2 and it works fine. I'm posting from it right now...
[doublepost=1512865787][/doublepost]
Still isn't working :(. I'll try it with 57.0.1, repeating all steps. If that doesn't work I'll just stay on FF 55 where I'm happy atm.
[doublepost=1512865697][/doublepost]
OK, lets make sure I'm getting everything here. I've confirmed that I'm running 10.8.5 on a Core 2 Duo.

-Download Firefox 57.0.1, copy to Applications
- Change Info.plist to say 10.8.5 instead of 10.9.0
- Run "xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine" on it

Am I missing an obvious step?

I didn't run any Terminal command on it at all, even from the first release. I copied the Firefox app to the desktop from the dmg, made my changes, tested it, and THEN dragged it to Applications.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 7.27.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 7.27.18 PM.png
    457 KB · Views: 545

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Weird. I just tested this on 57.0.2 and it works fine. I'm posting from it right now...
[doublepost=1512865787][/doublepost]

I didn't run any Terminal command on it at all, even from the first release. I copied the Firefox app to the desktop from the dmg, made my changes, tested it, and THEN dragged it to Applications.
I guess I'll try doing it from the Desktop, and not running the Terminal command. Likely won't do anything, but I've got nothing to lose at this point
[doublepost=1512866085][/doublepost]Won't run from the Desktop. Just opens and quits 3 seconds later. I could try getting rid of my FF profiles?

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
One quirk I noticed about running Firefox Quantum under ML is that if you have new tabs or windows set to "mozilla home page", it'll beach ball for a good 30 seconds before letting you do anything when you open the browser or a new tab. I set mine to blank page to stop this from happening.
[doublepost=1512866319][/doublepost]
I guess I'll try doing it from the Desktop, and not running the Terminal command. Likely won't do anything, but I've got nothing to lose at this point
[doublepost=1512866085][/doublepost]Won't run from the Desktop. Just opens and quits 3 seconds later. I could try getting rid of my FF profiles?

Might be worth a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.