Firefox/Safari and ESPN

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sndcj1, Mar 7, 2008.

1. sndcj1 macrumors member

Is this just my computer, or does everybody's Mac, or at least intel Mac, beachball when entering the ESPN site, making you force quit your browser to exit?

2. jh5000 macrumors newbie

3. jay1097 macrumors member

espn is one of the worst sites for firefox. Sometimes i need to reload it 5 or 6 times just to get the scores.
    I think it has a lot to do with their web ads but thats just a guess

4. Theo6 macrumors newbie

me too

wow, beachballing everywhere.
    sorry to see it is so widespread.
    anyone know a fix? this is new as of today (this afternoon)

5. henhowc macrumors regular

I've experienced this problem too. Once ESPN.com beachball-ed, Youtube started exhibiting the same behavior. It definitely seems Flash related.

Also, I noticed if I restarted my MBP and went to Youtube BEFORE ESPN, it would NOT beach ball and both Safari and Firefox would work fine. Going back to ESPN would trigger the problem and subsequently break other sites like Youtube after a Force Quit and browser restart.

6. o187em macrumors newbie

ive been having same problems. had to disable java & java script.

7. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Have you tried Restarting your Mac, and then NOT visiting ESPN.com on any browser? that seems to have solved the issue for me....Something on ESPN.com is breaking flash.

8. yayaba macrumors 6502

This is one helluva weird problem. I didn't notice as I don't go to ESPN.com that often but my brother tipped me off to it and it definitely crashes everything under OSX. Running Fusion works fine for me.

9. chiefillini macrumors regular

Anyone read any comment from ESPN on this problem, I would think they would at least have a mac or two running in their programming/design department and notice this crap.

10. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I go to ESPN once every two days and haven't had this problem yet Under Safari or FireFox

11. sndcj1 thread starter macrumors member

Well, sad to see everybody else has this problem, but kinda glad its not just me. I don't go to ESPN much, so I didn't realize I stumbled on this basically as it started. I hope Adobe addresses this soon with some sort of Flash patch.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

This seems to be the problem. Once you've visited ESPN.com, it screws up Flash entirely, requiring a reboot.

13. ThanatosId macrumors regular

ThanatosId

Arn, This might need to go on the front page

Hust wanting to chime in as another person effected. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought my untouchable Mac got a virus!!! I hope this is fixed soon.

14. EddieRebel macrumors newbie

I am glad I found this thread. The only way I have been able to view the site is by uninstalling Flash (disabling Flash should also work). Once I reinstalled Flash, the beachball popped back up.

I also get this on YouTube's homepage sometimes as well.

15. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i am more glad because i started experiecning this same issue last night as well-at least now i know it was not just me

16. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

17. James17 macrumors 6502

Flash is holding Firefox and Safari back from reaching their full potential on Mac. From memory leaks and now this, it is evident Flash has severe stability problems within these browsers. I hope this issue is fixed in the coming weeks.

18. cuestakid macrumors 68000

for those on firefox, one temporary solution is to install the flashblock extension and block everything on espn-that allows the site to at least load- the only downside is that you will have to enable it each time you go to a different site as i do not see any kind of filtering options for it-but enabling it on youtube does not crash firefox for me at least

19. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

It seems to have been fixed now. Restart, clear your browser cache, and try ESPN.com. Works for me, at least in Firefox.

20. tringo macrumors regular

Nope, still broken for me.

21. JDawg12 macrumors newbie

i also had trouble loading the movie section on yahoo today. right when i tried to load i saw a large flash based add for a movie pop up and it beachballed. also just started having this problem last night. espn.com was my home page and never had any problems before then.

Edit: Turned off Java and JavaScript in the Safari preferences and now espn and yahoo movies are loading fine.. obviously without the flash content. almost nicer in a way :)

22. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I'm so happy I found this thread. It started last night for me and I was getting so ticked off. I was getting so frustrated because everytime I tried to load Youtube, ESPN, or ustream FF and Safari would hang and crash. I must've send 20 reports to Apple haha.

I got so frustrated that I ran went into my Vista partition on boot camp and it worked like a charm (can you believe that). Last night was a bad night for my Mac and I.

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

24. iLukeisamazing macrumors newbie