Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Hello,

I'm looking to get a new FireWire audio interface with my Mac Mini, but I've been given a FireWire HDD Enclosure I would like to use if possible rather than purchasing a USB 3.0 enclosure..

I've read about daisy chaining Firewire accessories but if the audio interface and HDD enclosure only have a FW input how could this be done? Are FireWire hubs successful?

Thanks

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Hello,

I'm looking to get a new FireWire audio interface with my Mac Mini, but I've been given a FireWire HDD Enclosure I would like to use if possible rather than purchasing a USB 3.0 enclosure..

I've read about daisy chaining Firewire accessories but if the audio interface and HDD enclosure only have a FW input how could this be done? Are FireWire hubs successful?

Thanks

yes there are 2 good ones. give me a minute for links. i used both of them.

http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/2009/11/kramer-vs-30fw-firewire-800-hub-seagate.html

http://www.amazon.com/NitroAV-8-Port-FireWire-Professional-Repeater/dp/B00506K4NC

http://www.amazon.com/Kramer-VS-30F...8&qid=1364854382&sr=1-2&keywords=kramer+fw800

they work fine. i have both sitting in a box since i went to t-bolt.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion:

Before you buy a firewire hub (which can be expensive), try a daisy-chain FIRST.

It may not work -- but on the other hand, it may work just fine.

If it DOESN'T work for you, then it's time to start hunting for a hub...

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
My suggestion:

Before you buy a firewire hub (which can be expensive), try a daisy-chain FIRST.

It may not work -- but on the other hand, it may work just fine.

If it DOESN'T work for you, then it's time to start hunting for a hub...

Op has specific devices with only one port that do not allow daisy chaining.

He needs a hub.
The 2 I picked work very well I used them for years before I went to thunderbolt.

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
Boy, the prices on those hubs, glad I went eSATA for my external devices with my Mac Pro, though quite unhappy that there isn't a similar solution for MacMini.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
For what it's worth, I have a Western Digital 3TB MyBook drive connected to my Mini's FW800 port. I then have a 500Mb G-Drive daisy-chained to the WD, and an Edirol FA-66 audio interface daisy chained off that.

Works very well.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
yeah the kramer is very expensive it used to be 99 bucks. the nitro is a better deal . 1 in and 7 out. some where on 123macmini i did long reviews on them. but that was before sept 2010 maybe more like jan 2010.

Like i said i have both of them in a drawer some where. if IIRC I UPGRADED the power supply for the nitro. i used a 50 dollar walwart and a 100 medical isolation transformer. this provided clean stable power to the hub for recording.
I will see if I can find it. In fact i must have 1000 dollars in fw800 gear sitting in boxes doing nothing. I need to sort them out and test them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.