Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Is anyone else having problems with saving photos attached from the mail app and coming out blurry when viewing them in the photos app? It started doing this after I updated to the new iPhone 2.2 firmware.

mokeiko

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
I'm having this same problem too. It only happens to pictures saved in mail, not in safari. And mavis, your problem is something completely different. You are talking about graininess and we are talking about blurriness. Plus how can you say this has been happening since 1.1.3 when the option to save pics from mail didn't come around until 2.0?

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
SheepNutz,

you're correct. My pictures, attached from the iPhone mail.app, come out blurry, not grainy.

mokeiko

srent5

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
CA
Same here. Any photo I previously saved from mail (seems to be only pictures sent from an iphone) have all turned blurry after updating.

Attachments

• Aiden.jpg
    Aiden.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 90
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 105

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
It's not blurry, it's a low resolution preview. I think there's a bug where mail is accidentally saving the thumbnail and not the actual image. I guess a proper workaround would be to view your mail on the web.

Edit: I just tested it. The image is full resolution after importing it into iPhoto on the computer.

I smell 2.2.1 coming out before the end of the week. This is completely unacceptable!

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I've noticed this problem since 2.0 as well but I just figured it was saving them at a lower resolution to save space. I agree that it needs to be fixed though. At least give us the option to save the pictures at full resolution rather than having to keep the email just so that we can view the pictures properly.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Mine has been doing this since the feature was introduced. Pic looks great in the mail app when reading email, but looks terrible after saving it.

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
Mine did not save them blurry on 2.1. only since 2.2. I hope they fix it.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
It's only blurry on the iPhone...transfer it to your computer for full quality. It's annoying and I hope they fix it, but at least it doesn't ruin your photos.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

nickspohn said:

Completely different area. This is about SAVING images from mail, which was introduced in 2.0.

You're right, I just misunderstood the OP. I'm used to having all my pictures look terrible on the iPhone, but this new bug is even worse.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
TheSpaz is correct, the images are lower resolution, not blurry. That is what I meant, I apologize for the error in the subject.

mokeiko

goobimama

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
Makes me wonder if the analysts were right. That Apple was indeed scared of the Blackberry Storm (although now we see there's no reason to be).

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
While you may think this is different than the cases that have been brought up, its all the same problem

in short: The picture optimization( which cannot be turned off) that Apple uses to put/save pictures onto the iPhone SUCKS

The reason for the implementation is that Apple doesn't want there to be any slow down when looking at pictures in your camera roll ( and it thinks its users don't care about quality)

Any picture that is saved directly to your camera roll becomes resized ( 640 pixels max in any dimension) and also the color depth is dropped to (16-18bit gradient )

here is my thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/569462/

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
While you may think this is different than the cases that have been brought up, its all the same problem

in short: The picture optimization( which cannot be turned off) that Apple uses to put/save pictures onto the iPhone SUCKS

The reason for the implementation is that Apple doesn't want there to be any slow down when looking at pictures in your camera roll ( and it thinks its users don't care about quality)

Any picture that is saved directly to your camera roll becomes resized ( 640 pixels max in any dimension) and also the color depth is dropped to (16-18bit gradient )

here is my thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/569462/

Have you even tried saving a picture from mail in 2.2? It has nothing to do with speed. This is an overlooked BUG. It works correctly in Safari.

Lord Egregious

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
This oversight is devastating for me. I get pictures in emails from my parents and friends who own iphones all the time. I always save them instantly too and usually not even look at them from inside the mail app. I just went back and noticed that all of my email pictures are blurry now. Being they are usually taken from an iphone themselves, some are very blurry. I enjoy that the apps load faster now but this picture thing is just plain weird.

hkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2006
It seems that the saved pictures themselves are fine. It is only the "Photos" app that screws up when displaying them.
Very annoying, because now all of us iPhone developers with image editing programs will get poor reviews because our programs "save blurry pictures". Hopefully Apple will release a 2.2.1 very soon.

kameko

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
wow this is annoying and unbelievable. just confirmed by checking my photos and every one i've saved via email are all blurry. UGH

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Have you even tried saving a picture from mail in 2.2? It has nothing to do with speed. This is an overlooked BUG. It works correctly in Safari.

bro read my comment carefully

im not saying that the speed is the cause, its the reason

I have saved several pictures from e-mails

like others have said ( and i said before) apple has a screwy way of "optimizing" pictures that get transferred into the camera roll

the actual pictures when transferred to the computer are fine btw

and it does NOT work correctly from mobile safari

as I mentioned in my thread, the only way to avoid this compression into camera roll is to take a screen capture

Danarc

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
I got an e-mail last night with an attached (large) pic, I saved it to camera roll and didn't noticed any blurriness nor quality depreciation. :apple:

I think apple have solved it thanks Goodness. Thanks for the update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.