Firmware 3.0 and iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RubberShoes, Jun 24, 2009.

1. RubberShoes macrumors regular

With my 2.2.1 iPhone I have to say I was pretty happy with how fast it was and its overall feel with stability and performance.

But this thing we call 3.0, is it me or has it gotten incredibly slow?

Half of the animations skip frames or don't even play (only once in a while will an app minimize out when closed, usually it just crashes to the home screen) and everything seems very buggy and not stable.

Has Apple forgotten about the original 2G iPhone?

And for the record I have restored it three different times hoping it would get faster and it hasn't affected the speed at all

2. djrobx macrumors member

I noticed the open/close animations were slower on the 3G also. I think the 3G and 2G are the same except for the radio and GPS anyhow. Overall operations and stability didn't seem too bad to me though.

I still have 1.x on an iPod Touch - its REALLY fast!

3. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I noticed 3.0 lags a bit on my first-gen Touch. It needs a .1 increment soon ;)

4. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

My girlfriend was just yelling at me about this today. She doesnt really notice stuff like this, so if she can tell somethings up, then for sure theres something wrong.

I wish i wouldnt have updated her 2G to 3.0 at all, she doesnt like it one bit.

5. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

My 2g is slow, I passed it off to my dad, he doesn't know the diffrence, and no
    one is going to tell him. :p

6. gray67 macrumors member

gray67

OS3.0 is teh suck. Features-wise, it's fine (probably where OS2.0 should have been) but man is it bloated. I'm guessing that OS3.0 will run about as fast on the 3GS as 2.0 did on the 3G.

My Maps application now takes forever+2weeks to load and allow me to search. As soon as I start typing the iPhone freezes.

The GPS location function is slower than under OS2. It sits there forever trying to get a lock on my position. Can you imagine RT rerouting using this bloated OS?

There is a distinct lag between screen update and music playback when I skip forward.

The iPod loses track of what track it's currently on. It will indicate it's playing one track when I'm actually one or two tracks beyond that.

Safari loses its connection to AT&T after three to five page updates. I have 5 bars but after I've paged through about 4 sets of Google Reader updates, it drops the connection. I've only had that problem under OS2.0 when AT&T was down.

Safari overall is slow as crap. It was slow under 2.0, but under 3.0 it's almost unbearably slow.

All of this is part of Apple's plot to force you to upgrade to the 3GS. I was not going to upgrade, but I'm seriously considering it now because the response is so bad.

7. RubberShoes thread starter macrumors regular

Ok good I thought it was my mind or something lol, I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

How long did it take 2.0.1 to come out?

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Like a month or so. I am sure someone will give the exact dates any minute now.

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Like 3 1/2 weeks.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

It was happening on my 1st gen iPhone as well. It was quite annoying. The OS was more responsive when I was jailbroken on 2.2.1.

I sold my 1st gen yesterday, and did a clean wipe of the iPhone before I sold it. Even after that (which took 2 hours!), it was still laggy and jumpy.

11. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I was using my 2G iPhone before I got my 3GS and didnt think it was slow because thats what is was always like. Now I got 3GS and think its ridiculously slow.

12. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

well after upgrading to 3.0 on my 2g, the area right under the status bar, where the adress bar would be in safari, is now unresponsive.

is there a way to downgrade back to 2.2.1??????

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

My 1st Gen is unbearably slow. Everything takes way too much time to do. Also, my battery ends up being eaten before the day is over, something that never happened to me under 2.2.1

14. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I updated my mother's iPhone 2g to 3.0 a few days ago, which was my original iphone from 2g launch day. The next day, the phone stopped working completely...now I'm not so quick to blame 3.0 as it saw heavy use for a couple years--but it was an interesting coincidence. Regardless, we ordered her a 3GS yesterday.

15. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

OS3 is like OS2 when it first came out. It's quite laggy, crashes etc but give it a few updates and it will be smooth and stable again.

In saying that.... I've been very frustrated by ****** speed on my 2G and OS3 that it would nearly want me to smash the phone off the wall!!

16. Mueslimonster macrumors newbie

I'm using a unlocked 2G 3.0 and a couple of days ago I could have attested the same attributes to 3.0: extremely laggy, poor battery life... .

I was on the verge of downgrading to 2.2.1 again, when I fiddled with the settings one last time. I installed mobile substrate from Cydia and turned off push for mobileme.

Ever since it's been running like a champ. Battery life is greatly improved (even compared to 2.2) and the interface is super responsive- no lag whatsoever. It really feels like a completely different phone. It's so snappy- I just love it.

17. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

My 1st gen iPod touch lags when going thru songs, like sometimes it takes 10 seconds to go to the next song

My iPhone 2G works fine on 3.0

My iPhone 3G works fine on 3.0 also