Firmware and iWork '09 Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Feng Shui, May 28, 2009.

1. Feng Shui macrumors regular

I just ran the software update, and there's 2 updates available:

1. MBP SMC Firmware (fixes fan speeds during high workload)
    2. iWork '09 Update 2

PS: Anyone having problem playing the videos on youtube?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I just saw these pop up at VersionTracker, a few minutes before your post.

The iWork '09 came up when I ran Software Update, but not the SMC 1.3 update.

I'm not quite sure it's for my model, which is the 17" UB (early 2009).

I'm going to wait a few and see what the reports are. I don't have any fan problems, even under high-load. (I don't want to violate the "if it ain't broke, don't fixit" rule. ;) )

3. Feng Shui thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, I think its only for the Classic MBPs. My guess is that its a firmware to down-clock the GPU, maybe not if SMC only affects the fan.

4. timish macrumors regular

I just updated my MBP 17 (Penryn 2.6GHZ, HD Screen)

The firmware update too 5 seconds.

There was no progress bar along the bottom of the screen like previous updates.

See my attached screen shots for the changes under "SMC Version"

it went from "1.28f1" to "1.28f2" post update.

Attached Files:

5. timish macrumors regular

It doesn't downclock the GPU from what I can tell.

The firmware update went so fast it was minor whatever it did.

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

I got the 2008 MBP 17" and this shows up updating my SMC to 1.28f2.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I got the iWork update but no firmware for the rev. A. UBMB

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

iWork 08 and a 2.4Ghz RevA uMBP here, Software Update shows nothing at all for me. Looks like just for the classic MBPs, as others have said. Anybody noticed something different with their fans?

9. abz786 macrumors 6502

i still am not sure what this update was for?
    SMC - will i notice a difference?

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Same here. My uMBP runs very cool and I very rarely hear the fans. I guess I am good to go.

11. doctoree macrumors 6502

@timish:
    Can you please run some demanding tests and monitor the fan speeds? I guess they will be louder and faster to make our gpus die AFTER the warranty is over....
    Good thing there is an ignore feature in the Updater.

12. bugout macrumors 6502a

I didn't just read that did I....

13. MikhailT macrumors 601

I didn't read that either. I just "ignored" it, my head wasn't able to "compute" it.

14. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I haven't installed it yet, but I did notice that my laptop, while watching videos, would get pretty hot before the fans kicked in. I'm going to guess that the fans kick in a bit earlier so they don't have to go on full blast, which is quite loud. By kicking in earlier, it may prevent the laptop's fans from having to be bumped to full blast.

However, this isn't a common occurrence. I've only noticed it a few times. I'm going to to install it anyway. It can't hurt, and if it does, it's going to hurt Apple, since my laptop is still under warranty. ;)

15. sk3 macrumors newbie

Hi there, after about 2 years of following this forum without registering, i found that i should do it by contributing something :p

I made a quick test with this new firmware and the old one.

The test was made by running glxgears and watching the temperature with iStat.

I ran the test for about 10 minutes with each and these are the results:

"old" firmware: temperature reached 77º on CPU and 80º on GPU, fans didn't rev up more than 2000rpm

new firmware: same temperature and same speed.

So not a big deal here. So i though about another thing. running 5 instances of glxgears, made the CPU reach about 95% usage in both cores.

the fans only start kicking when temperature reached 95º which was pretty high IMHO. GPU temperature stayed in about 80º and not much more. the highest i've seen was 84º but it was during the fan's speeding up.

max fan speed: 6000rpm

I can be wrong but, it seems it's more the work cpu load that makes the fans rev, because it was only after i started more processes that fans went up, i might be wrong and this might not have any sense, but it's been a while since i got my MBP running without smc Fan control, and i still think that this laptop runs pretty hot.

:after 30 minutes:

fans: 6009rpm
    temps: CPU 83º / GPU 81º
    cpu usage: around 90% total

when i opened the cpu usage window of iStat, i made the CPU running at 100% on both cores!

fans: 6013rpm (6k rpm must be max)
    temps: cpu 95º / GPU 86º

As far as i can remember and can conclude from this update, it didn't change much, fans rev in way late and it seems that are "cpu usage related" (they seem to rev in faster if there is a higher cpu load)

After this test, idle 2004rpm, temp 56º.

I hope to have been useful to someone :)

EDIT: after a few more minutes of testing i can conclude that fans only start rev'ing up after CPU reaches 90º. i did another test with smc fan control with fans at 4000rpm default and it only started speeding up after cpu went 90º. cpu usage doesn't have any influence after this. it must have been some coincidence :p

EDIT2: oh and i forgot, i think the fan speeding is still a "slow" process. it's much faster to set smc fan control to XXXXrpm's than to wait for auto. i did it and smc set fans at 5500rpm faster than waiting for the long speeding up.

16. doctoree macrumors 6502

@sk3:
    Thanks for your post. That's interesting because it doesn't seem to be related to the GPU at all, but to the cpu instead....
    Can someone confirm that a gpu under load is not causing the fans to spin faster and or longer?
    Why can't Apple just say what they really did?
    Doc

Edit: According to this site:
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glxgears_is_not_a_Benchmark Glxgears is so easy that it really isn't a good stress test for todays gpus. I think we should use a real game for testing.

17. TPMann GB macrumors member

Just installed update on my 17" MBP 4,1 2.5GHz.

Everything went fine, fan and progress bar for 5 seconds at restart, SMC Version now 1.28f2. iStat shows fans still idling at 2000rpm on normal.

18. limo79 macrumors regular

I hope this fix very nervous fan spin up behaviour during watching Flash movies under Windows and OSX. Did you check it ?

19. sk3 macrumors newbie

Well glxgears was the first thing that came into my mind for a benchmark. I also tried Geekbench with similar results (only stresses CPU). I no longer can test the older firmware but i still remember a bit when fans started kicking. i can test in my MBP with a more decent benchmark, like CINEBENCH.

20. sk3 macrumors newbie

New test:

Well something strange happened today. During CINEBENCH R10 the CPU never went to 100% and GPU temp was around 68-70º, just like the CPU, but during the benchmark i noticed that the CPU was around 70-72º and the fans started working until they got around 3400rpm. this was during the since CPU render. During the rest of the test, the fans slowly went down to 2400rpm and temperature went up to 76º on CPU and around 74º on GPU.

On the multi cpu test, fans were around 2400rpm and CPU was around 98º with the GPU around 84º. Fans only started working "harder" when temperature got to 99º for about 2minutes, and slowly went up to 3000rpm.

i didn't notice any differences at all even when i ran x-plane from the phoronix test suite.

So as far as i can remember the update didn't do much :p maybe some kind of preparation to Snow Leopard?