Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I remember when the Macbook Pro came with a 17” screen and now folks are calling 15” “spacious” 😂
OMG if Apple did a 17" MBA I would flip my lid.

The 17" MBP is what my M2 MBA replaced after 10 years, and while the weight is a HUGE reduction, I'm definitely missing the screen real estate.

The 15" is an improvement, but no, not even close to a replacement. Neither is the 16" MBP, so there's that.

Reactions: jmpstar

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
Just picked mine up in store. Came from a 2011 Air that I used for college. I have a Mac mini M1 at home, but that doesn't negate the fact that this is a huge upgrade over the last mb/laptop that I purchased.

So far... In love.
Got mine today. I‘m in the exact same boat as you with an M1 Mac Mini as may “main” machine. My last laptop was a 2015 15 inch MacBook Pro, and the M1 was a major upgrade. I expect this to be a much better computer than that previous laptop.

Quick review: The speakers are pretty darned amazing sounding compared to my previous MBP. It’s light, but not quite as light as I expected it to be. The screen looks great, and the size is about perfect. It‘s going to be weird getting used to the thinness of it. I’m loading the software I need so I haven’t had a chance to really use it.

Funny thing is that I was pretty used to carrying the MBP and when I went to pick up the Air I almost threw it because it’s so light.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Airs of both sizes now have BT 5.3. Until last week, the 13" had 5.0.

the new 15" dos indeed have BT 5.3

Perhaps this is a firmware update? Or perhaps Apple just updated production lines for supply chain efficiency.

Disappointing i just learned the new MBA 15 doesn't get wifi 6E support :/

I'm disappointed that they updated the Airs to BT 5.3 but still didn't also include WiFi 6E. Apple must be the only laptop manufacturer in the world still selling laptops >$1k without WiFi 6E and it stinks.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Friscochris

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Got mine today. I‘m in the exact same boat as you with an M1 Mac Mini as may “main” machine. My last laptop was a 2015 15 inch MacBook Pro, and the M1 was a major upgrade. I expect this to be a much better computer than that previous laptop.

Quick review: The speakers are pretty darned amazing sounding compared to my previous MBP. It’s light, but not quite as light as I expected it to be. The screen looks great, and the size is about perfect. It‘s going to be weird getting used to the thinness of it. I’m loading the software I need so I haven’t had a chance to really use it.

Funny thing is that I was pretty used to carrying the MBP and when I went to pick up the Air I almost threw it because it’s so light.

On my mini I went 16gb ram 256gb ssd.. the mbair 8gb ram 512gb ssd. It seems the air starts up slower. Going to have to test the two. I’m sure the hardware config is the culprit, but not sure if ram or ssd.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
OMG if Apple did a 17" MBA I would flip my lid.

The 17" MBP is what my M2 MBA replaced after 10 years, and while the weight is a HUGE reduction, I'm definitely missing the screen real estate.

The 15" is an improvement, but no, not even close to a replacement. Neither is the 16" MBP, so there's that.
Those old Macs had huge bezels. This new MacBook Air screen seems huge because of the smaller bezels.
And its so light!

MacBook Air 15” Midnight in action 🎥

IMG_4566.jpeg
IMG_4568.jpeg
IMG_4567.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.