Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AirTag pre-orders only went live on Friday, but some customers who placed orders have already seen those orders shift over to "preparing to ship" status over the course of the weekend.

airtag-preparing-to-ship.jpg

Orders that are preparing to ship are no longer able to be canceled, and soon those orders should be able to be tracked using methods like UPS My Choice and track by reference number in the United States. The first customers who ordered on Friday will see their devices arriving on Friday, April 30.

Priced at $29 each or $99 for a four pack, users can attach an AirTag to things like a wallet, keys, purse, or backpack and then keep track of the item's location in the Find My app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Initial supplies of AirTags‌ began to dwindle in the first hours that pre-orders opened on Apple's website – shipping estimates for single AirTags quickly slipped into May, while engraved ‌AirTags‌ won't deliver until late May or early June.

As of writing, 1-pack AirTag orders without engraving are listed as shipping within five to seven business days in the U.S., while engraved AirTags ship within five to six weeks. Meanwhile, a 4-pack of AirTags ships within five to six weeks with or without engraving.

Third-party retailers are also offering ‌AirTags‌ and it's possible orders could ship out close to the ‌AirTag‌ release date. Pre-orders for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini in a new purple color also began on Friday. Many configurations still remain available for April 30 delivery.

Article Link: First AirTag Orders Shift to 'Preparing to Ship' Ahead of April 30 Launch

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Ordered a 4 pack 3 minutes after launch and my non-engraved AirTags just moved to Preparing to Ship. My Belkin key holder is still Processing.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Placed my order this morning in Australia, still processing order, hopefully still on track for the 30th. ?

000D898A-0E34-4A20-BBDC-799A0433E849.jpeg
EC4CD3C2-8E82-444B-B31F-64A21361200A.jpeg

Reactions: Shanghaichica

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Looks like they are prioritizing in store availability by me. Delivery is into may or later, but every Apple store in the Philadelphia, PA area has 4/30 pickup still available for single and four packs.

shadow2209

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
I ordered a 4 pack on friday in the swiss store 2mins after the preorder started and already got my trackingnumber on saturday morning saying delivery on tuesday. But as we all know they will be held back till friday.

uuee6543

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2015
I ordered my 4 pack with engravings and it is getting delivered on Friday the 30th. Also went into preparing for shipping an hour after I places the order (which was in the first two minutes of Airtag availability).
Not sure where their estimates come from but in the UK you can still get them fairly soon with engravings.

phr0z3n

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Wichita, KS
Mine just arrived in Osaka, Japan; shipped from China.
US resident here, sounds like they got a long journey over the ocean next!

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
My two orders of 4 are both preparing to ship. Unfortunately, in my bid to save a little money, my keychains from Amazon now show delivery between May 17th-June 11th. Can't rush $2 keychains... :)

dirtylilhobo

macrumors demi-god
Oct 16, 2014
Southwest USA
Made my order within five minutes of being able to do so. The four pack air tags engraved were to be delivered the first week of May. The key tag fobs deliver April 30. Nothing yet showing preparing to ship...

ZeebUK

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
Birmingham UK
Mine showing as preparing to ship too... just as long as they don't go missing like my last order from Tile... the irony of not being able to find your trackers, lost in transit...

Reactions: Dan08

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
In the U.K. mine still still says “preparing to ship” although the new Nike watch bands have now shipped with a Thursday delivery date so I would imagine that the air tags are sat in the UK in Leicestershire and the status won’t change until Wednesday or Thursday

Reactions: LFC2020

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
My engraved AirTag arrived in Osaka an hour and a half ago.

Last edited:

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I ordered a four pack within the first five minutes of orders being opened. Mine are being engraved and set for delivery 7th May. Which I consider reasonable considering they are being personalised with engraving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.