Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Then I'm not sure what you're talking about. I supposed you were talking about the device described in the article you were commenting. If you were talking about light AR glasses that can provide an iPhone-like experience, I'd say these are at least a dozen years away.
That's not what the "naysayers" your refer to are talking about in this thread.

What's predicted has nothing to do with the first iPod, which was smaller and held much more songs than competitors, at an affordable price.
That rumoured headset is even supposed to have an fan! I'm not sure its competitors (oculus and co) have one. And as opposed to its competitors, it will have no game to take advantage of at the start. There's exactly zero Mac and iOS VR game.

You may have missed the "if".
Look at the price of the MacBook Pros.
This thing is supposed to have more than twice the pixels and a similar SoC (to power them), a reasonably large battery (how do you power these displays and a M1-class SoC without it?), at dozen of sensors and cameras...
I price it at ≥$2000.
See my previous posts on this thread, including the most recent one just above.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I have been an early adopter of so many new technologies since my uncle brought home a VIC 20 in the early ‘80s. Voice control - whether from Apple, Amazon, Google or otherwise - is still wildly inaccurate, and not convenient to use in public spaces (unless you are an oblivious, loud arsehole). Even the best AR/VR headset will hamper my peripheral vision. This isn’t coming from a place of being a luddite, sometimes inferior interfaces are just inferior.
everyone has their "lol what this wont work" moment

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Yeah, I think your missing the big picture.

Try the occulus quest 2 in pass through mode. Now imagine that 4K in each eye in full color with no delay.

Transparent screens barely even exist mate, video pass through, IS the AR you’re gonna get for the next 5 years at least

My point is that no screen will ever never ever never replace real life eye-to-environment feeling.

Reactions: nathansz

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
My point is that no screen will ever never ever never replace real life eye-to-environment feeling.
Except your eyes can’t overlay information, get thermals, or any other rich information. This may even be a digital form of vision correction as well

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Except your eyes can’t overlay information, get thermals, or any other rich information. This may even be a digital form of vision correction as well
Except, we don't need overlayed informations to be human.
That's just a plus.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
There's still a big disconnect between the applications you describe and current consumer AR/VR/MR products the same way there's a disconnect between cars that include safety/navigation features and fully autonomous driving. It's still a little too far into the future for most consumers to conceive of relinquishing full control to a computer even though they are already doing so when they ride an elevator, monorail or obey a stoplight. Also, we've only heard about prices around $2k for the initial headset which doesn't justify any of those applications since we can already do them with a $1k phone or just don't need or want them. Until the form factor and price shrink, only a handful of enthusiasts will be experiencing any of the applications you mention.
Not a BIG disconnect, just not all the way there for some of it.

I mean, we do actually have self driving cars, and none of the apps I described involved relinquishing control to that level. A driving HUD is doable today at almost no cost beyond the headset.

Reading foreign languages? Again, a modern smart phone can do it. You think its a stretch for an AR headset in 2 years?

Highlighting products on shelves is a little ways out, but hardly utter science fiction.

And all of this was me in just a few minutes. Imagine a few million man hours worth of effort.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Not a BIG disconnect, just not all the way there for some of it.

I mean, we do actually have self driving cars, and none of the apps I described involved relinquishing control to that level. A driving HUD is doable today at almost no cost beyond the headset.

Reading foreign languages? Again, a modern smart phone can do it. You think its a stretch for an AR headset in 2 years?

Highlighting products on shelves is a little ways out, but hardly utter science fiction.

And all of this was me in just a few minutes. Imagine a few million man hours worth of effort.
Except we don't have self driving cars. We have cars that can drive autonomously on highways and sometimes on smaller roads. We don't have any self driving cars that can safely travel in rain or snow and we certainly don't have any self driving cars that can travel safely among human driven cars because self-driving cars cannot understand or predict human drivers at all. It's a real problem that will take many more years to solve but that wasn't my point at all.

My point was that people don't want to wear any headsets to do that they already can do like drive. We already get plenty of info from our phones when we drive but why would we want to wear a special headset or even glasses just to see roadsigns that are clearly in front of us or to get a warning that our turn is coming up when our phones have been doing that for 10 years already.

There will be millions of exciting AR applications and most of them will be pointless tech demos. The good ones will surface as a result of necessity and lots of development and testing. By the time that happens, phones will be replaceable with glasses but we won't be there for another 5-10 years.

You also didn't address the main part of my comment which is pricing. No one is going to spend thousands on a headset right now when a phone does more than that for much less except for a few niche customers. That doesn't mean Apple won't introduce a headset soon as well as 100 other companies. But just because something is suddenly popular and competitive among manufacturers (NFTs, crypto, folding phones, EVs, etc.) doesn't mean it is ready for wide consumer adoption.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Except we don't have self driving cars. We have cars that can drive autonomously on highways and sometimes on smaller roads. We don't have any self driving cars that can safely travel in rain or snow and we certainly don't have any self driving cars that can travel safely among human driven cars because self-driving cars cannot understand or predict human drivers at all. It's a real problem that will take many more years to solve but that wasn't my point at all.

My point was that people don't want to wear any headsets to do that they already can do like drive. We already get plenty of info from our phones when we drive but why would we want to wear a special headset or even glasses just to see roadsigns that are clearly in front of us or to get a warning that our turn is coming up when our phones have been doing that for 10 years already.

There will be millions of exciting AR applications and most of them will be pointless tech demos. The good ones will surface as a result of necessity and lots of development and testing. By the time that happens, phones will be replaceable with glasses but we won't be there for another 5-10 years.

You also didn't address the main part of my comment which is pricing. No one is going to spend thousands on a headset right now when a phone does more than that for much less except for a few niche customers. That doesn't mean Apple won't introduce a headset soon as well as 100 other companies. But just because something is suddenly popular and competitive among manufacturers (NFTs, crypto, folding phones, EVs, etc.) doesn't mean it is ready for wide consumer adoption.
We DO have self driving cars. They just can’t handle every possible circumstance. To be fair, neither can most human drivers. They can and do drive with human drivers, and the makers try to push that they are safer than humans. But, if they push too hard, then someone besides me will argue that they should be on the hook for liability if their AI is driving, and they do not want that. Thus you get the “it helps, but you should still be driving,” nonsense.

I did not address pricing because it is the least important thing you brought up. If the apps make it a ‘must have,’ item, there will be affordable versions that people will get. Not everyone has a 13 pro max, but almost everyone has a smart phone.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
We DO have self driving cars. They just can’t handle every possible circumstance. To be fair, neither can most human drivers. They can and do drive with human drivers, and the makers try to push that they are safer than humans. But, if they push too hard, then someone besides me will argue that they should be on the hook for liability if their AI is driving, and they do not want that. Thus you get the “it helps, but you should still be driving,” nonsense.

I did not address pricing because it is the least important thing you brought up. If the apps make it a ‘must have,’ item, there will be affordable versions that people will get. Not everyone has a 13 pro max, but almost everyone has a smart phone.
I'm excited about self driving cars and will be an early adopter but I don't expect to shell out any money for at least 5 years because there won't be a street legal model available until at least that time.

And when we're talking about a consumer product, pricing matters more than anything if you care about scaling to mass production. Otherwise, we're not talking about Apple.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I'm excited about self driving cars and will be an early adopter but I don't expect to shell out any money for at least 5 years because there won't be a street legal model available until at least that time.

And when we're talking about a consumer product, pricing matters more than anything if you care about scaling to mass production. Otherwise, we're not talking about Apple.
If it is 'necessary,' the market will correct the pricing (even if it isn't all Apple). Again, not everyone has a 13 Pro Max, but smart phones are pretty popular across the board.

mykcalscottwalker

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
iPhone killer, NO way !

NOT even close !

10-15% of Apple consumers "may" be interested, the rest NOT so.

That's how this App Dev sees it !
For kids and engineers only. And there's NO WAY Apple's final design will be anywhere near this SCUBA mask. Not unless Jony Ives really HAS left the building!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.