First Apple Store in Belgium Opens in Brussels on September 19

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has constructed a creative barricade with colorful artwork that confirms its first Apple Store in Belgium will open on Saturday, September 19. The retail store will be located on Avenue de la Toison d'Or in the capital city of Brussels.

Apple confirmed the store opening to Belgian website Apple Nieuws Vlaanderen, which has shared several photos of the storefront. The store has not yet been listed on Apple's website, but store hours and grand opening details should be available soon.

Update 8:32 AM: Apple's store page for the new Brussels location is now live, but with the opening still two weeks away the store is not yet taking reservations for Genius Bar appointments or workshops.

Article Link: First Apple Store in Belgium Opens in Brussels on September 19

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Anyone have a full picture of that building or know the address? It looks interesting.

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
England, UK
Kind of depressing that even very developed and rich EU countries like Belgium are just now getting their first Apple store. Makes me pessimistic if I'll ever see official Apple presence in my small country. :(
I'm sure it doesn't matter that Belgium (or any other country) is developed or not, I'd imagine it has to do with if Apple consider the country a worthwhile market for them. Maybe online sales of their products hadn't been that high in Belgium and they didn't see the point until recently.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I'm sure it doesn't matter that Belgium (or any other country) is developed or not, I'd imagine it has to do with if Apple consider the country a worthwhile market for them. Maybe online sales of their products hadn't been that high in Belgium and they didn't see the point until recently.
But isn't it kind of ridiculous for the richest company on Earth? They could afford to be truly global. How come Google and Microsoft can be officially here in Baltics and offer local support and quality product localisation? Countless Apple resellers flourish - I'm sure Apple wouldn't operate at a loss.
At this point for such a rich company like Apple it should be just the matter of WANTING to offer ALL customers EVERYWHERE the best experience - but I guess Apple has maximum possible profits as priority and some customers are not worth the effort. :/

Reactions: Straight Meta

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Brussels, belgium
But isn't it kind of ridiculous for the richest company on Earth? They could afford to be truly global. How come Google and Microsoft can be officially here in Baltics and offer local support and quality product localisation? Countless Apple resellers flourish - I'm sure Apple wouldn't operate at a loss.
At this point for such a rich company like Apple it should be just the matter of WANTING to offer ALL customers EVERYWHERE the best experience - but I guess Apple has maximum possible profits as priority and some customers are not worth the effort. :/

I read that Apple is very picky about their locations. And if they can't have what they want, then no Apple store. It's not about the money, and even not about the services (there are plenty of official resellers and services online).

An Apple store is a architectural statement.

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
England, UK
That may be so, but if they don't perceive the market to be there, they probably think the shop/s would be empty and that's bad for their brand. But it's good they've decided to construct one in Brussels. I agree with you that it's better to have one everywhere, but sometimes people in boardrooms don't think the same way as their (potential) customers :p

PBMB

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2015
Exactly. In my experience, Belgium must a strongly PC-oriented country. Plus, people seem to be very critical towards Apple's products and general policy. Add to this a 21% VAT in the current economic climate and you get the picture.

There are some exceptions of course, like universities (especially the francophone ones), but they represent an insignificant percentage.

Personally I am surprised that Apple decided to open that store. On the other hand, the location is the best you can have in Brussels for that kind of store.

PBMB

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2015
Kind of depressing that even very developed and rich EU countries like Belgium are just now getting their first Apple store. Makes me pessimistic if I'll ever see official Apple presence in my small country. :(
It is not a matter of geographical size per se. Belgium has less than half the area of Latvia but 5-6 times the population. In other words, it has more than 10 times the population density of Latvia. This really counts in any kind of commercial decision.

Jarman74

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
I'd second that. A few years ago Apple had the opportunity to open a store in Milan centre - very near to the Cathedral plus in the hub of the city's fashion boutiques and luxury shops. Apparently their bid wasn't high enough and the store went to Prada (you can check out the place here).

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Surprised Apple chose a building that appears as unappealing as that for an Apple Store!

Toinman

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2015
I'm not sure if it's Belgium-exclusive, but there is a 'premium reseller' in Belgium dedicated to selling Apple products. They don't sell PCs and they try to copy the Apple-way of displaying products. So they act like mini Apple Stores, except they don't have any exclusive locations or high-esthetic buildings. Maybe Apple waited with an own store because their products already had the attention en sells they needed. But again, I'm not sure if other countries have this too.

PBMB

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2015
Surprised Apple chose a building that appears as unappealing as that for an Apple Store!
Don't be surprised because, as I said previously, this is the best location in Brussels for this kind of store. Avenue de la Toison d'Or has all kinds of transport available (metro, tram and bus) and it is near Place Louise, the heart of the most expensive shopping area in Brussels (and in Belgium). People shopping there are well above average.

An Apple Store would not stand a chance anywhere else in this city.

PBMB

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2015
I'm not sure if it's Belgium-exclusive, but there is a 'premium reseller' in Belgium dedicated to selling Apple products. They don't sell PCs and they try to copy the Apple-way of displaying products. So they act like mini Apple Stores, except they don't have any exclusive locations or high-esthetic buildings.
Indeed, and I am wondering what will be their fate after the opening of this store.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I read that Apple is very picky about their locations. And if they can't have what they want, then no Apple store. It's not about the money, and even not about the services (there are plenty of official resellers and services online).

An Apple store is a architectural statement.
Not so picky when they have a presence in suburban mall interiors

I've never understood why Apple is so slow with opening new stores.

here ya go :)
http://www.letoisondor.be/images/

The concept is interesting and on the pictures it looks nice. But in real, meh, it looks dated, like an 80's building that already lost its glory
What's unappealing about it? It's a class 'A' urban contemporary building.

Reactions: dexterie

Toinman

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2015
Indeed, and I am wondering what will be their fate after the opening of this store.
They'll do just fine. Apple is never going to open many stores and certainly not in 'economy-class' locations where these stores are located.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
In 2001, there was exactly one Apple Store. As of the current time of writing, they have 453. That's about 32 new stores per year.

Remember they need to get planning permission in some cases, and have to train the staff, have to have time to build/revamp/refurbish the stores, get legislation sorted ... it is a lengthy process, far more than you give it credit for. I can definitely assure you that Apple would love to have more and more stores worldwide, though I certainly appreciate your frustration.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I was just on the phone with Apple support last night and they had to set up an in store appointment for me. The person on the phone was amazed that I had 5 Apple stores all within a half hour from where I live. I guess my metropolitan area demographic must skew heavily Apple.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Nothing. Apple have authorised resellers and repairers everywhere, in countries even when there are already lots of Apple Stores. The more options consumers have to get their product serviced, or purchase an Apple product from, is never a bad thing.

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
England, UK
I'm not sure if it's Belgium-exclusive, but there is a 'premium reseller' in Belgium dedicated to selling Apple products. They don't sell PCs and they try to copy the Apple-way of displaying products. So they act like mini Apple Stores, except they don't have any exclusive locations or high-esthetic buildings. Maybe Apple waited with an own store because their products already had the attention en sells they needed. But again, I'm not sure if other countries have this too.
I don't think it's exclusive to Belgium, we had them in the UK, there used to be one in the town I live in but they went the way of the dodo when an official apple store opened in the area. I'm sure they still exist in the UK, because there are great swaths of land where there aren't Apple Stores still. There was an independent Apple shop

In 2001, there was exactly one Apple Store. As of the current time of writing, they have 453. That's about 32 new stores per year.

Remember they need to get planning permission in some cases, and have to train the staff, have to have time to build/revamp/refurbish the stores, get legislation sorted ... it is a lengthy process, far more than you give it credit for. I can definitely assure you that Apple would love to have more and more stores worldwide, though I certainly appreciate your frustration.
I can confirm that! I don't know if they still do it, but Apple used to list upcoming stores on their website, The Apple Store in Reading Oracle Center, England was known about for literally 4 years before it finally opened, A big unit finally went empty and was covered up for the best part of a year. Apple like to get things right with their shops, they either waited for a suitable place or booked the lease and waited, if they want a position, they'll get it, even if it takes a while.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.